Time to simplify?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

record_spot

Hi PP,

Not really, and I'm beginning to wonder whether going too simple would be a step too far. I've been thinking of the NAD C700, but in reality would only benefit from its dinginess if I ditch the turntable and CD player. Whilst I want to rely much more heavily on streaming for new music and things I don't have in my collection, I've got a huge amount of music on physical media even if I think out my collection.

I think it's down to knowing what you want really and not falling in to the ongoing chenge-in, change-out box swapping. I decided a few years ago to keep to what the space in my hifi rack would give me (in reality, two sources at most along with the turntable and preamp if I had the latter) and kept to that - one new thing comes, one other thing goes out.

Fast forward a few years and these days, I've gone down the route I have. I might well get rid of the Kenwood CD player, which is the best I've heard. Bar none.

But today's today - times have moved on since we both joined the WHF forum. I've just ordered a new phone - Samsung Galaxy A54. It offers a micro-SD slot capable of taking 1TB of additional storage on top of the 256GB onboard capacity. Along with a very good main camera, I'm all in.

This means that I can transfer a few hundred albums over to my phone, have backups on a NAS or HDD, and get on with enjoying the music and the music is wonderful, accessible and sounds amazing. I'll likely keep the Kenwood (because it really is very good and one of those very old school players), but it's a backroom boy for now.

Last edited:

matthewpianist

I think it's down to knowing what you want really and not falling in to the ongoing chenge-in, change-out box swapping. I decided a few years ago to keep to what the space in my hifi rack would give me (in reality, two sources at most along with the turntable and preamp if I had the latter) and kept to that - one new thing comes, one other thing goes out.

I think this is the most sensible route.

I'm not quite getting the sound I want with the current set-up. The turntable and CD player are both great (the Sony can challenge any modern budget player), but I need to experiment with amp/speaker combinations in my room.

The Rotel amp is very good in some respects, but lacks in clarity.

I've just tried an Audiolab 6000A, and I think it's awful. It feels like a quality piece of kit but sounds dull, uninspiring and doesn't get the best out of either pair of speakers. It's being collected for return today.

I'm now thinking of the Denon PMA900HNE and Cambridge Audio CX-A61 - both brands I've had success with in the past. My favourite Denon amp was the PMA720NE, and I loved the CA Azur 740a I had. The Denon offers HEOS, which I like, but the Bluetooth isn't aptX HD. The Cambridge offers aptX HD Bluetooth, and a good DAC to plug my Node 2i into.

The other issue is my room, which seems to accentuate certain bass frequencies. I am toying with the idea of going really simple with a NAD C316BEE v2.0 or D3020 v2.0 and opting for some little Dalis. I've had success with NAD amps and Dali speakers before - I actually loved the Lektor 2s and Spector 2s I had, and having used the latter in far from ideal positions I think they may be a good option for my current room. They're a well behaved but engaging little speaker, but then with the NAD I could stretch my budget to the Oberon 1s.

Dali also work extremely well with Marantz, and the PM6007 is a bit of a bargain at current prices.

Reactions: record_spot

matthewpianist

Quick update... I delayed sending the Audiolab 6000A back and, based on how well regarded it is, I gave it another go last night. I don't know whether I got the set-up better or whether my head just wasn't in the right place on Wednesday evening, but it's sounding superb now and really grips the Q floor standers. The internal DAC substantially lifts the performance of the Node 2i, and the Rotel CD player sounds brilliant. I've still got time to make my mind up, but if I continue to enjoy it like I did last night the Audiolab will be staying.

Gray

Quick update... I delayed sending the Audiolab 6000A back and, based on how well regarded it is, I gave it another go last night. I don't know whether I got the set-up better or whether my head just wasn't in the right place on Wednesday evening, but it's sounding superb now and really grips the Q floor standers. The internal DAC substantially lifts the performance of the Node 2i, and the Rotel CD player sounds brilliant. I've still got time to make my mind up, but if I continue to enjoy it like I did last night the Audiolab will be staying.
It certainly can take a while to appreciate things.
I read the AV Forums review of the 9000A last night.
Could be all the amp that anyone would ever need - and at a (relatively) ok price.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org

I have the AudioLab 6000a and I think it is superb, very neutral, with my speakers the result is very transparent, slight boominess from my older system has gone. There are many very good competing products in that price bracket, from Rega, NAD and others. Reaga are said to be warmer, whatever that means.

I know what you mean about perception or set up changing things.

It certainly can take a while to appreciate things.
I read the AV Forums review of the 9000A last night.
Could be all the amp that anyone would ever need - and at a (relatively) ok price.
Certainly like the look of the 9000A. Audiolab have a good history of making solid sounding amps. However, at that price level it's a tough sector to break into with many other brands around vying for people's wallet.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts