Time to simplify?

matthewpianist

One of the thoughts I've kept coming back to periodically is that of simplifying to a system that leaves the focus squarely on the music. I've previously tried it with the Marantz MCR-610 and MCR-612 and at those times I rarely played a CD or LP and streamed everything. I was tempted away again by the whole kit obsession, but when that overtakes I end up switching and tweaking all the time.

I'm back to thinking about streamlining again, putting the majority of my CDs into storage and finally saying goodbye to vinyl. When I stream, either through the Node 2i in my main system or the Technics Ottava, I find myself more engrossed in the music, and far less predictable about what to listen to next.

I'm debating a NAD C700. It could easily drive either of my speakers, and I like the NAD sound, and the BluOS platform. I could store my turntable and the Sony CD player for a while to prevent the risk of regrets, and sell everything else. I can imagine myself in a position where I'm using the NAD with my JBL 52L Classics and enjoying a very compact but high quality system. The NAD is so small that it could sit on a book shelf.

The other option would be the Technics SA-C600. I'm familiar with the app from using it with the Ottava, and I like the way it works. It's a very well built unit and obviously includes a CD drive, which the NAD doesn't. It is larger, but still much more compact than a rack of separates.

High quality streaming of music and podcasts is very attractive to me, and if I let go of nostalgia it could bring me increased feelings of being settled and enjoying the music. Thoughts?

podknocker

I'm simplifying and decluttering at the moment. Hopefully, I'm only a few weeks away from buying a Leema Quasar and will probably keep my QA3030i speakers on matching stands. Streaming via my phone and perhaps from my laptop. Quality streamers provide everything you need these days to access and enjoy high res music. I'm not going to even think of extra kit and optical media. I might buy a new TV, if and when the tech settles down and a standard can be agreed. I know we have vinyl fans here, but this is a low quality, low resolution format and modern formats are so much better and easier to use. The tactility and handling of vinyl doesn't make is sound better. Streaming amps are the future and they will only get better.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
.....I know we have vinyl fans here, but this is a low quality, low resolution format and modern formats are so much better and easier to use. The tactility and handling of vinyl doesn't make is sound better. Streaming amps are the future and they will only get better.

How very dare you! ;)

I've listened to some vinyl records on a friend's rather well specc'd Linn LP12 deck vs High Res files streamed from Tidal via his Naim streamer and we were both amazed at how much better and more detailed the sound was from vinyl. We did lots of back to back 'tune dem' listening just to segments of tracks too. Well pressed vinyl has more Dynamic Range than electronically processed music. Vinyl needs to be pre 1990's though.

Reactions: WayneKerr
One of the thoughts I've kept coming back to periodically is that of simplifying to a system that leaves the focus squarely on the music. I've previously tried it with the Marantz MCR-610 and MCR-612 and at those times I rarely played a CD or LP and streamed everything. I was tempted away again by the whole kit obsession, but when that overtakes I end up switching and tweaking all the time.

I'm back to thinking about streamlining again, putting the majority of my CDs into storage and finally saying goodbye to vinyl. When I stream, either through the Node 2i in my main system or the Technics Ottava, I find myself more engrossed in the music, and far less predictable about what to listen to next.

I'm debating a NAD C700. It could easily drive either of my speakers, and I like the NAD sound, and the BluOS platform. I could store my turntable and the Sony CD player for a while to prevent the risk of regrets, and sell everything else. I can imagine myself in a position where I'm using the NAD with my JBL 52L Classics and enjoying a very compact but high quality system. The NAD is so small that it could sit on a book shelf.

The other option would be the Technics SA-C600. I'm familiar with the app from using it with the Ottava, and I like the way it works. It's a very well built unit and obviously includes a CD drive, which the NAD doesn't. It is larger, but still much more compact than a rack of separates.

High quality streaming of music and podcasts is very attractive to me, and if I let go of nostalgia it could bring me increased feelings of being settled and enjoying the music. Thoughts?
(Ahem)

Actives?

record_spot

Matt, since I bought the Cambridge DACMagic 200M at the end of 2022, I've not used my other hifi gear at all. The turntable, CD player and even my beloved Cambridge 752BD are out to pasture (well, I still spin the odd DVD or Blu-ray so the 752's going nowhere).

Much as I said on another thread, my system right now is a minimalist as I could get it without having actives with onboard streaming capability (and I'm really not fussed for that - much prefer to play my own ripped CDs via a hi-res app on my phone linked to the DAC by a suitable USB cable).

So effectively, my stereo is the AVI actives and the 200M DAC. That's it.

manicm

I think the Technics SA-C600 is a bargain for what it is. Alas not available where I am. I'm into CDs now.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
There is a very real issue with vinyl, and that's the cost. Last time I looked, many new pressings were upwards of £30 each, and even decent secondhand LPs are going for ridiculous prices. I'm not anything like in the financial position to indulge at that level.
But with inflation taken into account, vinyl is no dearer now than what I was paying in 1989-91. CD's back then were way overpriced that's why it took me years to get a CD player. I too though have dabbled with the simplification route, bought the Denon RCD-N7 CEOL, 2011 I think they were introduced but I should have waited a couple of generations for the N9 when Spotify was finally added, hindsight is great. I then bought a Sonos Connect amp, only for that to be bricked after a few years, despite sonos promise that if you kept with the legacy version of the app it would still work. On Wednesday I was in my local hifi dealers picking up my 30year old Rega planer 3, that had been in for repair and was blown away by a Hifi Rose streamer and Fyne Audio bookshelf speaker combo. But at £4000 the Hifi Rose is way beyond my budget. A marantz MCR 612 though very tempting. I have to admit most of my music listening is through Spotify. The Denon RCD-N 7 is now used as my main CD player connected to my Yamaha AV receiver, rather than being a stand alone unit, I have been toying with the idea of buying a dedicated CD player and ditching the Denon. Have also been thinking of selling the Yamaha, I can't remember the last time I actually watched a film in surround sound. The technics mentioned elsewhere in this thread is also tempting as it does have a phono stage and we've just got a few in at work, director blown away when he listened to one at the trade show. After years of just selling Bose and Sonos we are getting back into hifi, remains to be seen if they sell well in our little town.

I feel like I’ve almost known you for years now. Anyone who loves the piano is good by me!

I think you’d regret it. There, I’ve said it. :)

record_spot

I feel like I’ve almost known you for years now. Anyone who loves the piano is good by me!

I think you’d regret it. There, I’ve said it. :)

As someone who grew up with a fascination of hifi, more than 45 years ago, then got into music and stereos with my mate in the late 1970s. Keep going on through the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s and here we are now. I've been through more systems than I can recall, cables by the dozen and the rest.

My system is as below in my signature. I'm good with that. The rest I can take or leave.

The issue I have is because Matthew is a musician he's so meticulous in the exact sound he likes.

This is why I've never suggested Leema to him, I reckon he would like 90% of what that produces, but whether it would tick every one of his sonic boxes, it's unlikely.

Based on that, it's tricky to make any worthwhile suggestions.

nads

Oh I get you but having recently brought my tape (cassette) and FM tuner back into operation…..

still buy vinyl hope for a download card but if I like will most likely buy the CD and archive to stream.
CDP will not be going as it does all discs except BLU and HD DVD so if I spot a SACD or HDCD.

WI’ll I buy tape again? Nope but I have working tapes. And FM is useful for when the internet goes down.

country living.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site

I thought you had made a five year commitment to keep your current stack. Maybe podknocker can learn something here ...

record_spot

But with inflation taken into account, vinyl is no dearer now than what I was paying in 1989-91.

Depends on what you're buying. Good luck walking into your local HMV and buying a single LP Genesis album for less than £30. You'll be paying nearer £35. For an album that cost a tenner back in 1990 on LP, the B0E inflation calculator comes in at £22 or so.

Reactions: DIB

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Depends on what you're buying. Good luck walking into your local HMV and buying a single LP Genesis album for less than £30. You'll be paying nearer £35. For an album that cost a tenner back in 1990 on LP, the B0E inflation calculator comes in at £22 or so.
It would appear different inflation calculators use different figures. I put in the £8 I was paying back in 1989 for a chart album and it returned just over £25 in today's money. I payed £27 just three weeks ago for a brand new pressing of Pink Floyd's The Wall, which is a double album. OK not a current chart album but then I don't care for much in the charts these days.
Lesson for me, compare a few inflation calculators.

manicm

Vinyl prices for me are j
It would appear different inflation calculators use different figures. I put in the £8 I was paying back in 1989 for a chart album and it returned just over £25 in today's money. I payed £27 just three weeks ago for a brand new pressing of Pink Floyd's The Wall, which is a double album. OK not a current chart album but then I don't care for much in the charts these days.
Lesson for me, compare a few inflation calculators.

Yes, now do the same for a CD. The truth is CDs were always cheaper to make, but today vinyl prices are actually inflated.

CD prices have actually deflated, I would guess, using your calculations.

Reactions: hifi

matthewpianist

Hi Matt.

Have you progressed in your simplification needs?

Do you have a short list of probables?

Hi PP,

Not really, and I'm beginning to wonder whether going too simple would be a step too far. I've been thinking of the NAD C700, but in reality would only benefit from its dinginess if I ditch the turntable and CD player. Whilst I want to rely much more heavily on streaming for new music and things I don't have in my collection, I've got a huge amount of music on physical media even if I think out my collection.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Hi PP,

Not really, and I'm beginning to wonder whether going too simple would be a step too far. I've been thinking of the NAD C700, but in reality would only benefit from its dinginess if I ditch the turntable and CD player. Whilst I want to rely much more heavily on streaming for new music and things I don't have in my collection, I've got a huge amount of music on physical media even if I think out my collection.
I think whatever you end up with it will be a compromise at some level, and as such it's tricky to make suggestions other than mentioned in previous posts.

But with a fabulous turntable it's hard to replace.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts