Tidal master hi res streaming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It is. He is very open regarding his projects and listens to folks.

As to MQA, like any other new format I'd wait a while before investing in any hardware may needed.

Once the furore is over the real facts will emerge.

It may be worth it, maybe not.

At present it's as clear as mud.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:

As to MQA, like any other new format I'd wait a while before investing in any hardware may needed.

Absolutely. And it's worth bearing in mind that no matter how good your source is, it's only as good as the amp and speakers in the chain anyway. So I would imagine that the basics of bass control, clarity, soundstage, timing etc would be better using Tidal's normal lossless hifi quality through for example the KEF LS50 wireless than an MQA-enabled Bluesound Powernode into some passive LS50's. I know they're not identical prices, but that's kind of my point.

I do like the idea of MQA, particularly the stamp of quality it's willing to address that's been a real issue with hi-res of any kind in the past, whether SACD, Bluray Audio or HD Tracks. MQA does seem to address the concerns over the quality of mastering in the first place, but a well balanced system playing CD quality files will still sound better than a cobbled together badly matched system playing MQA.

It's worth bearing that in mind before ploughing hundreds into the latest MQA-enabled product. £130 on a Meridian Explorer might be worth a punt though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's very easy to see and appreciate John Westlake's perspective. His view must echo word for word those of every other manufacturer who is even just vaguely considering coming on board. John doesn't say as such but another consideration is that having invested time and money in MQA it could very easily be just a flash in the pan. It needs the right people to market it, and if it's not to die a death quite quickly on account of being of limited interest to just a select few, it would need significant buy-in from an indifferent general public who remain perfectly content for their general consumption of music to be lo-fi streams played through iPhone speakers. And these are exactly the same people who were disinterested in HD physical media.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
drummerman said:

Absolutely. And it's worth bearing in mind that no matter how good your source is, it's only as good as the amp and speakers in the chain anyway. So I would imagine that the basics of bass control, clarity, soundstage, timing etc would be better using Tidal's normal lossless hifi quality through for example the KEF LS50 wireless than an MQA-enabled Bluesound Powernode into some passive LS50's. I know they're not identical prices, but that's kind of my point.

I do like the idea of MQA, particularly the stamp of quality it's willing to address that's been a real issue with hi-res of any kind in the past, whether SACD, Bluray Audio or HD Tracks. MQA does seem to address the concerns over the quality of mastering in the first place, but a well balanced system playing CD quality files will still sound better than a cobbled together badly matched system playing MQA.

It's worth bearing that in mind before ploughing hundreds into the latest MQA-enabled product. £130 on a Meridian Explorer might be worth a punt though.
Next thing will probably be 'MQA approved' amplifiers. THX style.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts