Tidal in trouble

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

chebby said:
Hole ... digging ... stop ... in ... when ... a

so how does this advance it.... what do you think, or no view? Ps I have a blind friend.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

.....another thing is the huge effect of you tube music and file sharing on these steaming sites etc. The decline in the music industry revenues coincided with the start of the internet from 2000. I don’t know how on earth you tube music videos can exist of private people who just post them without them being taken down. They should stop that right away.

As an example my nieces who are 15 and 17 and lived through the development of the internet don’t own one cd. They can hawk their mums Spotify account. In comparison I’d probably bought between 50-100 CDs between 15-17 in late 80s, which isn’t huge amounts but when you look at it from a revenue point of view a different matter. ie their no music purchases, versus my £500 to a grand, at the same age. That’s just the way music is freely available online now.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
.....another thing is the huge effect of you tube music and file sharing on these steaming sites etc. The decline in the music industry revenues coincided with the start of the internet from 2000. I don’t know how on earth you tube music videos can exist of private people who just post them without them being taken down. They should stop that right away.

As an example my nieces who are 15 and 17 and lived through the development of the internet don’t own one cd. They can hawk their mums Spotify account. In comparison I’d probably bought between 50-100 CDs between 15-17 in late 80s, which isn’t huge amounts but when you look at it from a revenue point of view a different matter. ie their no music purchases, versus my £500 to a grand, at the same age. That’s just the way music is freely available online now.

It's no problem to actually download an album when blind, I JUST DON'T like it and begrudge paying for something I can't touch or like I said can't even see!

You can have all the blind friends in the World, but you could never understand, so don't give me that old crap saying you understand!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well I’m sorry you feel that way mac. I’d probably not fully understand and I sincerely emphathise. I used to volunteer for the guide dogs for the blind and my dad was regional volunteer area manager so I have some understanding. I also currently help out a blind guy on a community befriending scheme.

But I too realise that people who don’t suffer mental health issues don’t really understand so I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. I meant no criticism of you saying I thought you might be sentimental with cd ownership.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I don't know why I suddenly remembered Mr David Brent.

djuBNvJ.jpg

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I was thinking of this.....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dina-strada/why-being-upset-with-some_b_7084232.html

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Gray said:
Pretty much all the streaming platforms are making losses. They have for some time. It’s the huge development costs against relatively limited demand with the size of the music market about half what it was in the heyday of music in the mid 90s. Harder to make a buck. That’s why we need the mass market to forget cd (and to a smaller extent vinyl) and start buying streamers on mass. When cd goes everybody will need buy a streamer and they will be signing up to tidal etc in their droves, bringing cost down of streaming services, and everybody wins through more choice plus the size of the market increases meaning more musicians are in the industry.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that if people who have CD players and don’t stream only spend about £20/$20 on cds a year on average, on current stats, it’s not going to support the music industry as much as having them have a £5 spotify subscription at £60 per year. With all that choice and extra features of streaming like playlists, access to music, and recommendations etc. it would clearly do better than cd which is failing like a dead donkey.

With decent CDs available for around a fiver, as they often are now, not everyone will be joining the droves rushing to streaming sites.

Some cds are expensive, I was going to buy a few until I saw the price. Vinyl is even worse. Also you need to buy loads to build a collection. Good thing about streaming is finding new music all the time and not getting bored playing your 200 or so cds. Most of the cds I have I never play now, maybe I should sell them all?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My local town lost its HMV about three years ago , it’s new one opened, in a larger unit four weeks ago. What does that tell us?
There is a decline in cd if you look at music industry stats. I doubt he would be concerned if people spend £10 on a cd and often multiple CDs, some good margins to be had. But it doesn’t mean cd will keep surviving. Then cost of production dictates if cd is viable and economies of scale. If these are not there and sales reach a certain level in total (not just the independent record shops affairs) cd will not be made. My main town brighton lost its hmv and now only has two indepndent record and cd shops. This tells the story that the mass market just don’t buy CDs or vinyl, and they dictate the market, not us lot.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Hmv downsized number of stores as it’s expensive real estate for not much cd sales, and they only really sell lots of CDs in high turnover stores or where other parts of the business support cd sales,like online stuff. But in Brighton the hmv was there for years. Brighton had a ‘Mvc’ Ie music video centre in the 90s which shut down years ago. In my home town in Essex, the hmv has shut down too, also virgin megastores when they went under, also an mvc. The two Independent ones in Brighton are tiny (but good). Remember our price too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Streaming is probably the future but only because people are so used to getting something for (next to) nothing.

I don't really know anyone except myself who buys CDs these days, but they don't buy downloads or stream either, they just torrent everything illegally. And that's the norm we're at.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Id agree with you major fubar as I read the size of the illegal torrent download market dwarfs the size of legal downloads. So if you added it all in, on basis of the American industry figures, it would take the total revenues for music nearly as they were in the 90s when the internet wasn’t there. But illegal downloads must impact participation of streaming services, so affecting tidal uptake.

They could easily stamp this out and the isp people and Microsoft etc, could stop torrents and torrent server programmes.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
brits have no money left on buying cd’s or streaming subscribtions cause they all spend it on booze, take away and taxi to buy more booze

The huge cost for cleaning up all the gob, urine, excrement, chewing gum and cigarette butts after them also

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

All services are competing in a market for our wants and needs, which are always unlimited. It’s no wonder if you make file sharing possible, there will be more *** butts on the street if that’s what you think the market is competing with (although I don’t as music is in a different market to fags), and as a result nobody buys legal music, be it streaming or CDs or whatever.

But music is a human need almost and for it to be free is to almost destroy the market, it’s commercial viability, and highlights people will pay for it if they have too.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Streaming is probably the future but only because people are so used to getting something for (next to) nothing.

I don't really know anyone except myself who buys CDs these days, but they don't buy downloads or stream either, they just torrent everything illegally. And that's the norm we're at.
I still buy CDs still and will carry on doing so I also download albums of iTunes and I personally feel that Cds will last years yet as hifi company’s are still making CD players even top end CD players are being made today so I am not worried about CDs being dead because they aren’t .

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think the problem for manufacturers is how much do they invest in new CD players and transports when on some of the small audiophile companies, it could be taking 3-5 years to be getting a return on investment. If the firms making CDs or distributors or music companies pull the plug on cd, the manufacturers would be crazy to invest a lot on cd now. I know with Cyrus the last top cd transport (cd xt signature) was developed 3-4 years ago. They probably just tweak these players now.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think the problem for manufacturers is how much do they invest in new CD players and transports when on some of the small audiophile companies, it could be taking 3-5 years to be getting a return on investment. If the firms making CDs or distributors or music companies pull the plug on cd, the manufacturers would be crazy to invest a lot on cd now. I know with Cyrus the last top cd transport (cd xt signature) was developed 3-4 years ago. They probably just tweak these players now.
I can’t remember where i read about it but there has been a new CD player that cost something like £30.000 to buy it’s a crazy price

Samd

MajorFubar said:

I am with you - never download and all my purchases are CD or SACD and am really loving some of the latter

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I just boiught a Naim Atom mainly to stream Tidal. So this really sucks for me. Spotify in the USA does not offer lossless CD quality. We also do not get Qobuz which does. I'm not sure about Deezer but it's not integrated into the Naim App like Tidal is.

Honestly, I sort of blame JAY-Z believe it or not. Not sure how much input he has but at first Tidal appears to be all centered around hip-hop/rap music. Also the graphics are all dark and ominous looking. I really think this turns many people away IMO. When I first looked into it my first thoughts were, I wondered if they had any content I liked and it looked hard to figure out. Let's face it 80% of the people don't even like hip-hop/rap music. On the other hand Spotify makes their page look more cheerful, colorful and inviting. A place for everyone. A place that has content for everyone.

It's not just Jay-Z I blame but I also the general public who are not too bright when it comes to music quality. Most don't care about CD quality streaming because they listen on terrible devices anyways.

Well, hope it turns around for them and us. Tidal has turned out to be great for me. They have 90% of the content I am looking for and it is much easier to use than I intially thought. Plus, it just sounds great.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I predicted ages ago on here that businesses which only offered premium-priced lossless streaming couldn't survive long term. Premium-subscribed services could only ever survive as a loss-making sideline for a company which was already making a profit from a much cheaper service that attracted the masses. Why it wasn't obvious to businesmen and investors baffles me. Recent history is littered with the skeletons of dead formats that have failed because they were never destined to attact anything but a minority interest, including Elcaset, S-VHS, DCC, Minidisc to a degree (right product at the wrong time unfortunately), and SACD. Premium-priced lossless streaming is so obviously the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts