Tidal in trouble

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

drummerman said:
Gray said:
I could look it up but I've got the experts right here.

Can someone please advise:

What are the bitrates of Spotify Free and Premium?

(To a laptop computer) 

320kbps Ogg Vorbis/Premium.

160 on normal I think.

1,411 kbps Tidal Hifi

... ah yes, I am far from an expert.
Quite right as long as you're using an app.

If you're using Web browser it's 128 and 256 kbps AAC.

On Android/iOS they call 160 kbps high quality and 90 normal. 320kbps is called Extreme.

There is a guy on another forum who claims to receive 1,411 kbps Spotify to his Project streamer. Link in one of the posts earlier.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:
I can see your point but it really shouldn't be either/or situation. Niche products have as much right to exist and do well as the mass market ones. Could it be akin to Minidics? Right product, wrong time... Or is it the right product just marketed wrong? Do enthusiast listen to rap more than anything?

Absolutely niche products have a right to exist as mass market ones, but unless they are being marketed by a company whose bread and butter money is being made from mass market sales, they will fail. No one I personally know would be interested in spending money on it, and the kind of people I know represent Mr Average.

I tend to agree and think you need the bigger players to open up the market and get the economies of scale to make streaming a success accross all quality formats, but there is nothing to stop a streaming firm just concentrating on cd or hi res streaming. It really depends how it controls it’s costs and it’s profitability, change of ownership etc. It’s conceivable that tidal could be sold to a going concern who can do it cheaper and/or make money. We see this in downloads sites like hd tracks etc, that can exist predominantly on high quality downloads.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:
I can see your point but it really shouldn't be either/or situation. Niche products have as much right to exist and do well as the mass market ones. Could it be akin to Minidics? Right product, wrong time... Or is it the right product just marketed wrong? Do enthusiast listen to rap more than anything?

Absolutely niche products have a right to exist as mass market ones, but unless they are being marketed by a company whose bread and butter money is being made from mass market sales, they will fail. No one I personally know would be interested in spending money on it, and the kind of people I know represent Mr Average.
Where Tidal is going wrong is it doesn't accept it is a niche product. If they did they could make money and would do ok. Usually it's the impatience and the visions of grandeur that are dangerous to such products.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

I tend to agree and think you need the bigger players to open up the market and get the economies of scale to make streaming a success accross all quality formats, but there is nothing to stop a streaming firm just concentrating on cd or hi res streaming. It really depends how it controls it’s costs and it’s profitability, change of ownership etc. It’s conceivable that tidal could be sold to a going concern who can do it cheaper and/or make money. We see this in downloads sites like hd tracks etc, that can exist predominantly on high quality downloads. 
Yes, but they don't try to take on iTunes. Like Tidal is trying to compete with Spotify.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts