THX post processing - Andrew your help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can you explain the benefits of using THX post processing over Dolby Digital, Pro-Logic II, DTS and the new HD Audio signals? I have an Onkyo 875 amp and there are a number of THX surround fields that I could use depending on the signal feeding it, namely THX Cinema and THX Neural 5.1.

A

Anonymous

im not andrew, but i'll have a go at answering. Thx is just the same as any other format (dolby, dolby digital etc etc) in that it is used by a film maker to record the sound. Therefor if you play back the film in the same format as it was recorded, it will sound just as the film maker intended. In the case of thx sound on your 875, there is a seperate spkr set up designed specifically for thx in the instructions where you need to have your front spkrs set at a level of 80 and your sub set to 80 also so that all "sounds" below 80 on the film go through the sub. If i have confused you, i apologise but it's all quite easy.

A

Anonymous

a little post script.... If you set up your 875 to "auto" in the relevant set up menu the 875 will play in the correct sound mode whether it will be dolby, dts, thx etc automatically thank goodness.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help mark2

So as a few examples:

if I was watching a film on Sky HD which only broadcasts in Dolby Digital I shouldn't add any THX post processing and should keep the amp in DD mode?

If watching standard def tv and the audio is coming into the amp as stereo then I could use any number of processing types to convert the stero signal into surround sound, ie, Pro Logic II, DTS neo, THX neural or THX Cinema (not sure what the difference is between these 2 types of THX processes)? As standard the amp seems to default to Pro-logic 2.

If watching a dvd with a DTS soundtrack then I would keep the receiver in DTS and likewise if the dvd was a THX disc should I use the THX Cinema processing on the amp? I'm pretty sure that the amp doesn't automatically recognise THX discs when played. I've noticed with the THX Cinema mode you can add the THX process over either Dolby or DTS. Am still confused!

A

Anonymous

you can choose whichever sound mode you prefer on from any source. If sky hd broadcast is dd and you prefer to listen to it in thx, pro logic etc then so be it. What the receiver does on auto mode is to select what it perceives is the best listening mode. As far as dvd or bluray playback is concerned my 875 always selects (so far anyway) the mode the film was recorded in. If u press the right or left arrow at the bottom of the 875 remote (listening mode) this enables you to scroll through any additional modes available. As for thx and dolby, i understand that they have worked together so that we can benefit from hearing thx from dolby soundtracks and vice versa. Its your choice though on what is ultimately your personal preference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts