Pioneer 922, Tannoy hts-101 setup help please!

the_goat

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, have owned my pioneer 922 and tannoy 101 gear for a week now and am still playing around with audio options etc.

Firstly I was wondering if I should change the phase of the sub to 180, I have phase control turned on on the amp and the sub positioned beneath the tv and centre speaker...?

I also have my sky+ hd box connected via optical and get a Dolby digital signal, though most channels send through a 2-channel signal I assume if I have Dolby pro logic II on, the amp is just converting from stereo?

Finally does anyone have any personal preference with this amp for listening to music from spotify on an ipad/iPhone....Is stereo the best bet?

Thanks for reading.. Any help or info on amp would be great

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry about the phase control on your sub, it is very rare that anyone will need to use it. If you're getting a half decent bass response from your sub, it will be fine.

Even though Sky will pass 5.1 Dolby Digital via optical, it doesn't necessarily mean that that is what is being broadcasted - it may well just be stereo. If this is the case, Dolby ProLogic can be used to convert the signal to 5.1. It might be worth checking to make sure your Pioneer is receiving the audio from the optical cable and not from the HDMI cable, as this will only pass on 2.0. Although new Sky boxes are emerging that will send 5.1 via the HDMI cable, this won't really improve audio as it will still be Dolby Digital 5.1 - it will just mean one less cable can be used.

I tend to listen to two channel music through two channels - after all, that's what it has been designed for. Although, while I was running in my rear speakers, I did set the processor to DTS Neo:6, which seemed to work quite well. You just need to experiment with the different settings to see how you prefer it to sound. Personally I'd use the Pure Direct setting to make sure there's no audio processing going on.

After any auto set up, just make sure your speakers are set to small, and the crossover point around the 100Hz point. Ease the load on the speakers and they'll sound better.

the_goat

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks.. It seems movies are the only programmes that are in 5.1... Shame I watch so much sport! Has anyone ever seen anything other than a film broadcast in 5.1 on sky?

TRENDING THREADS