Thoughts Please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
l have a second system that l like to have on when l'm reading etc & have recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio RS1 'speakers, mainly because l wasn't happy with the Q Acoustic 1010 's l had; these are driven by an Onkyo 515. Slippery slope that it is (up-grading) l then changed the QED silver anniversary cable to Chord Oddysey 2, with good effect. Now thinking about giving the Onkyo to one of the kids & replacing with a Cd/amp. l want to buy second hand to get better sound per pound & was thinking about Musical Fidelity A3 or X-Ray. Any other suggestions?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Crikey, a pair of RS1s driven by the onkyo? I think you'll notice a staggering difference with the MF gear... And the kiddies will be chuffed. Just make sure they appreciate it (lol)...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
Now thinking about giving the Onkyo to one of the kids & replacing with a Cd/amp.
[/quote]

Think into the distant future about the effect you're going to have...think university...think student loan...think hifi shop...

...not that I did that...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could do a lot worse than getting an Arcam A85/P85 and biamping. About £600 or £700 will get you mint examples and they can do dance, acoustic, voice, folk, chillout....in fact everything but rock, but who like rock anyway. Status Quo, Aerosmith et al. It has a different character depending on the speakers you have. It can be upfront or relaxed. Detail heavy, and just pukka in every way.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]
l have a second system that l like to have on when l'm reading etc & have recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio RS1 'speakers, mainly because l wasn't happy with the Q Acoustic 1010 's l had; these are driven by an Onkyo 515. Slippery slope that it is (up-grading) l then changed the QED silver anniversary cable to Chord Oddysey 2, with good effect. Now thinking about giving the Onkyo to one of the kids & replacing with a Cd/amp. l want to buy second hand to get better sound per pound & was thinking about Musical Fidelity A3 or X-Ray. Any other suggestions?
[/quote]
Rather than give the Onkyo to the kids, why don't you sell it to help finance the new gear? Come to that, you could sell your children and then really go to town with some high end kit. That would also pre-empt the problems that igglebert flagged up.
A win-win situation surely :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"] and they can do dance, acoustic, voice, folk, chillout....in fact everything but rock, but who like rock anyway[/quote]

I do. But not necessarily of the Aero-Quo variety. You know, Zep, MMJ, Band Of Horses et al. And it usually sounds pretty good powered by my A85/P90 combo. It's an interesting observation you make though about certain genres bringing the best out of one's equipment. I don't subscribe to this and tend to think certain albums sound better or worse than others depending on the usual variables of recording methods, production, studio engineering and mastering rather than their specific genre. Which raises the issue of how difficult, indeed redundant, genre labelling can be. As British Sea Power ask, on their new album, Do You Like Rock Music? Oh, so arch.

Sorry. Rant over.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The A3 cd player is the same of X-ray but with bigger housing and may be a tad better in sound (more room to breath). The X-ray MK3 is the one to go for and like someone else suggested it does gel well with MF own amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts