System upgrade - advice needed

spencerrivett

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I purchased my current system almost 20 years ago, I’ve enjoyed it and although all things Hifi had to take a back seat for a while due to young children etc. I have rekindled my interest (not that is really ever went away).

My current setup is Micromega Stage 3 and Micromega DAC, Audiolab 8000q + 8000p (original UK ones) = Castle Howard S2 speakers.

I listen mainly to rock, a mix of heavy and not so heavy + some electronica and also a little bit acoustic stuff.

A few years back I brought a Squeezebox touch and have converted much of my CD collection to FLAC and now tend to stream via the Squeezebox for convenience sake.

Recently my 8000p died and although it is repairable I would like to take the opportunity to bring things up to date a little.

My current thoughts are replace the Micromega stage with something more up to date and maybe switch to an integrated amp sticking with the Howards (it took me ages to find a speaker I loved and the Howard really fill my 6m X 6m room).

Things I’d like to improve SQ wise are I’d like to pep things up rhythmically – the Audiolab although powerful is a little one note in the bass and flat dynamically - although I hate shouty and grainy presentation and particularly icy treble.

Amps I have considered are Naim XS, Roksan K2 & Musical Fidelity M3i

Flexibility with source is important as I still play some CDs and ideally need a digital source with multiple inputs – I am may switch from the Squeezebox to PC streaming in the future.

I have been thinking about adding an Audiolab m-dac or 8200cd

Budget is flexible and I’m not adverse to buying second hand if that help me buy better equipment.

Please can you help me find a way forward – any advice welcome?

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
spencerrivett said:
Hi,

I purchased my current system almost 20 years ago, I’ve  enjoyed it and although all things Hifi had to take a back seat for a while due to young children etc. I have rekindled my interest (not that is really ever went away).

My current setup is Micromega Stage 3 and Micromega DAC, Audiolab 8000q + 8000p (original UK ones) = Castle Howard S2 speakers.

I listen mainly to rock, a mix of heavy and not so heavy + some electronica and also a little bit acoustic stuff.

A few years back I brought a Squeezebox touch and have converted much of my CD collection to FLAC and now tend to stream via the Squeezebox for convenience sake.

Recently my 8000p died and although it is repairable I would like to take the opportunity to bring things up to date a little.

My current thoughts are replace the Micromega stage with something more up to date and maybe switch to an integrated amp sticking with the Howards (it took me ages to find a speaker I loved and the Howard really fill my 6m X 6m room).

Things I’d like to improve SQ wise are I’d like to pep things up rhythmically – the Audiolab although powerful is a little one note in the bass and flat dynamically - although I hate shouty and grainy presentation and particularly icy treble.

Amps I have considered are Naim XS, Roksan K2 & Musical Fidelity M3i

Flexibility with source is important as I still play some CDs and ideally need a digital source with multiple inputs – I am may switch from the Squeezebox to PC streaming in the future.

I have been thinking about adding an Audiolab m-dac or 8200cd

Budget is flexible and I’m not adverse to buying second hand if that help me buy better equipment.

Please can you help me find a way forward – any advice welcome?

Thanks

Best thing id recomend is going into a hifi dealer and listening to some products that you have mentioned and also a few you have not.

Keep an open mind and do t be pushed by salesman or reviews then after youve listened and liked say what you like and us guys can give our impressions.

For tour needs id look at a good intergrated amp with a built in dac and a good speaker set

rainsoothe

Pepping things upr rhythmically, you say, eh? :))

Used Naim Supernait (which also has a good DAC - no USB input). If cost is not an object, look at Naim Supernait 2 (or at least XS2 - the XS is a bit soft) + Chord Hugo (or Arcam iRdac for a cheaper DAC), or Hegel H160. If you wanna change speakers as well, look at ATC SCM 19 or 11, Focal Aria 926, Revel Performa M106 (or the F208 floorstanders preferably). Another option, if all you need is digital, is Naim Dac V1 + Nap100 or Nap200.

And if you wanna buy something amazing, look at Naim ND5XS (streamer) + Nait XS2, Naim Nac N-172XS + Nap200, or Nac N-282 + Nap250 DR. Partner with Kudos, Proac, ATC, Neat, Harbeth or Focal speakers.

spencerrivett

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Pepping things upr rhythmically, you say, eh? :))

Used Naim Supernait (which also has a good DAC - no USB input). If cost is not an object, look at Naim Supernait 2 (or at least XS2 - the XS is a bit soft) + Chord Hugo (or Arcam iRdac for a cheaper DAC), or Hegel H160. If you wanna change speakers as well, look at ATC SCM 19 or 11, Focal Aria 926, Revel Performa M106 (or the F208 floorstanders preferably). Another option, if all you need is digital, is Naim Dac V1 + Nap100 or Nap200.

And if you wanna buy something amazing, look at Naim ND5XS (streamer) + Nait XS2, Naim Nac N-172XS + Nap200, or Nac N-282 + Nap250 DR. Partner with Kudos, Proac, ATC, Neat, Harbeth or Focal speakers.

Thanks rainsoothe you came up with some excellent selections there - when I auditioned the micromega all those years ago the only other CD source in the running was Naim, at the time both the Naim and Micromega 'did' bass/rythym properly and kept things in check at the top end.

I had overlooked the Naim Dac V1 + Nap100 probably thinking that the Nap100 wasn't powerful enough however all my reading indicates to ignore the paper specs because it'll be fine, especially with reasonably efficient speakers which my Howards are.

Cheers I'll check out your suggestions...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts