Thoughts on a budget speaker and amp system with the scope to turn into 5.1 soon

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello

Im new to the forum and sorry for asking this question since its probably asked a lot (althought I did try searching)- Im looking at a budget system. I might be able to get hold of a Denon 1912 amp which is a refurb and im looking at matching speakers (although I am open to considering other amps such as the Sony DH820 which won the best buy award?) At first I thought of cambridge audio S70 but ive seen some bad reviews on them so im on the hunt for good front speakers (floor standing) which cost around £300 mark.

Now I also was under the assumption that floor standing are much more superior to bookshelf since they have the space and the drawback was that they do invade your space a bit. I have space and like the way floorstanding speakers look so I thought it was a win win But a lot of reviews on here are saying bookshelves are better?? can anyone please shed some light on this?

Its funny that I was initially going to settle for a Bose companion 3 system at £200 all in but now my budget has been ripped wide open to £550 odd!!! lol

Its a shame that this website doesnt have a list of best buys on floor standing speakers :(

thank in advance for your help.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
thanks for that. In the best buys section, i could only see bookshelf speakers unless I was willing to spend £1000 plus on speakers!

Based on what ive seen in the linked page and more reviews online im thinking of getting the Tennoy V4's since people seem to be impressed with them. Would these be okay with a Denon 1912 amp? its underpowering it by 10W but thats not much.

If I get this setup, what should i invest in next :a centre speaker too (Tanno VC) or a sub? I might be able to get an amp, 2 speakers and either a centre or sub. I was thinking of a sub. Which one would you recommend? I know tannoy do a sub for around £100 which is the SFX one.

Thanks again

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have a vast space. Stand mounts + sub might be a better solution than floorstanders. Remember the lower frequencies will be taken care of by the sub and often good stand mounts are better than similar floorstanders.

If your front speakers aren't too far apart you might not need a centre at all.

I recently changed my fronts from floorstanders to stand mounts and it's definitely more detailed and energetic. Also I'm debating doing away with my centre as my fronts are only 5-6 ft apart. Your AVR set up will assign any centre channel info to the left & right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts