Thorens TD 318 MkII vs. Pro-ject Debut Carbon. Which one to choose?

Windsound

Sep 25, 2024
Visit site
Hello all! I'm buying my first turntable. I'm interested in Thorens TD 318 MkII with Clearaudio Aurum Classics cartridge (price 360 €) and Pro-ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon OM10 (price 250 €).

I know I could upgrade the Pro-Ject with Acryl it turntable platter or a better cartridge and the price would be closer to the Thorens. What do you think, would the Thorens be a better choice for me anyway?

I'd like to hear pros and cons of both options.

Thanks!

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, sonicaly is Project a champion here. Depending which priorities you settle. But...there is another champion not mentioned by you, Rega Planar One or Planat Two, depending on your budget. Now possible to get also nice oak wood look and with new catridge Rega ND03 with discount. There is just very very big demand from customers curently for their new ND cartridges. Planar P2 with ND 03 is amazing combo. Reed pls. Review here on whathifi just today posted.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Factory upgrade for debut . Still in production They made 2million over 30years

Rega Planar 3 is in production for 50 years. Still made in UK. Projects are made in Czech Republic. Looking on their production costs, they shall be 100 pounds cheaper, but they are not.

daytona600

Rega assembly Turntables
Rega now works with 650 suppliers, (85% of which are based in the UK) and all have a responsibility to supply us quality parts.

£799 Rega RP3/Elys2 + external motor PSU £260 Neo Mk2 £ 1059

Project build Turntables in House
Pro-Ject production is carried out in the heart of Europe. Our factories are located in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Germany. 95% of the goods are manufactured in house .

£599 Debut EVO 2/MM cartridge & built in motor control + ( £ 460 to spend on records )

I have owned several regas for the last 40years & currently own a Naia

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts