This months TV giant test

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

maxflinn:

as for 3dtvs , well , unless your buying for its 2d quality and looking at 3d as a bonus , id wait till next year , simply because theres nothing 3d to watch on it , there is currently a grand total of 0ne 3d bluray available , and it only comes with samsung 3dtvs , you cant even buy it ? madness..and insulting to peoples intelligence imo..

yes , im viewing 3d like a bonus and aditional feature that next year i probably will be using even more.... next year i probably wont be regreting so much for not buying 3d set .. as for the content i tend to agree with you and it was my first and for some time my tought , right now im seeing more and more brands are launching or preparing to lunch their 3d sets and starting to read all their commitement and effor so this thecnology gets acepted - what i meen is that the stakes are to high and their making a big investment on this ( not just sony, sam, pana ) annoucements everyday about 3d coverage gives me the felling that this is going to live and i want to be apart of it - example : 3d world cup (fifa and sonny ) i want to have the chance to see it on 3d ...especially in my house, with my family and friends who deserv to have the benefit of my company (humm... thinking of charging some few for this 3d friendship) :) not only this as for other exemples that industry giants are showing everyday strong investment makes me thinking now it has good chances to suceede ...

A

Anonymous

theenlightened1:

Hi All!!

What Samsung are we talking abt here if you don't mind me asking? I used to be a regular WHFI reader when I was in the UK but can't find the magazine where I'm now..
emotion-6.gif
really got interested in the Samsung from what I read here.. what model is it?

Hi ! i was talking about the new incoming plasma from samsung something like PN50C7000 that features 3d ....expected to arrive in portugal beginning May ..not yet reviewed in WHF..

CM7:theenlightened1:

Hi All!!

What Samsung are we talking abt here if you don't mind me asking? I used to be a regular WHFI reader when I was in the UK but can't find the magazine where I'm now..
emotion-6.gif

Hi ! i was talking about the new incoming plasma from samsung something like PN50C7000 that features 3d ....expected to arrive in portugal beginning May ..not yet reviewed in WHF..

It's the 50-inch model of this TV already reviewed by WHF.

A

Anonymous

theenlightened1:

Suggestion: It would be nice if you made a paid section on the site and uploaded the magazine there for those of us who are not in the UK and can't get a hold of the mag..

Cheers!

I include myself in those who cant have the privilege of getting this important information at the same time Uk readers can .... in portugal i only can buy it 16 / 19 th of april - it isnt fair ....

But ..i think they already realised that they starting to understand that this could be an important and new business for them.... imagine how many readers (international) could benefit from this capability and how many £ will they do ....

A

Anonymous

bigboss:CM7:theenlightened1:

Hi All!!

emotion-6.gif

BigBoss sorry but the reviwed samsung its and lcd. The PN50C7000 model that im talking about its a plasma.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we know, and if I could wave a magic wand we'd have issues available online today and be charging you a fortune to read them.
emotion-5.gif

But you know how it is: big company, wheels within wheels grinding slowly...

A

Anonymous

bigboss:CM7:theenlightened1:

Hi All!!

emotion-6.gif

no thats an lcd , hes on about the 3d plasmas , starts with pn ..

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Yes, we know, and if I could wave a magic wand we'd have issues available online today and be charging you a fortune to read them.
emotion-5.gif

But you know how it is: big company, wheels within wheels grinding slowly...

thats true .. i know how it works .. but they usually tend to change a little when someone shows them the numbers (in this case the profits , how much can make with such a small effort ) right now their still missing a great business oportunity... Companies need to pay more attention to costumers needs and potencial, need to wake up to such easy new ways of doing more and more business with the existing company and ideias ...... in portugal we would say :

" D  Deus Nozes a quem nÆo tem dentes "

( beeing in a great position with lots of new business ideias to add-on and easy implement with big return and still not taking the step... to slowly to realise that .... )

Your ideia with new issues online (charged) would also work..... there are a lot of consumers waiting for your reviews to take the step...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We know all that, but there are several reasons - a key one a magazine-industry issue, nothing to do with WHF/Haymarket - that prevent us from progressing our digital edition plans at this precise time.

Now please let's go back to discussing TVs, rather than how we run our business
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Oops!
emotion-10.gif
I didn't mean to start this discussion.. honest. So back to TV's.. mm.. a 3D TV? makes me think abt it twice.. I'd rather wait for a year or so till they become cheap and more reliable..

EDIT: And where are my manners?
emotion-10.gif

Cheers everyone! Thanks for helping me out..

Tooslow

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
As an ordinary reader dare I enter this lion's den and chuck in my two penn'th, in support of WHF? Like many I have become "re-aqauinted" with hi fi in recent years. I wanted to update my kit and bought several mags over a period of time. I'm not keen on the sandals and real ale approach to hi fi that decries anything other than vinyl with valves and I eventually found that WHF took an approach that felt comfortable. I read it for some time, got up to date and worked out for myself that the star rating included the concept of value for money. VFM is a concept which defeats some people who can only see price but let's move quickly on. I bought some nice kit after sitting down in front of it, using my lug 'oles and comparing various bits of kit. Thanks for the pointers WHF.

In the tv review, which is more or less the only part I've read so far, the 4 / 5 star difference was explained clearly. I am about to buy a new tv and I would be happy to buy either, from the information in the review. I lean towards the Sony, largely because I have a cracking Sony CRT beast sitting the corner. But I've also used a Panasonic (flat panel, goodness only knows it was LCD or plasma) and it was a darn good. 4 stars does not mean a poor product.

I think that the lack of courtesy and manners displayed by some posters is appalling. You wouldn't speak to the editor like that if she were in the same room, so what justification is there in behaving that way? None. The sheer vituperation, aggression and breath taking unsubstantiated allegations would lead to disciplinary action in most companies if this were aimed at a co-worker. And if you did this in public... I think banning was the right action. The author(s) need to consider the effect this has on people. No-one is paid enough to stand for that sort of aggro and stress. If this is their normal mode of behaviour then they have a problem and they're hedaing for trouble sooner or later. Their "people skills" need some attention and please excuse me now while I go and throw up in a corner for using such a pc expression
emotion-4.gif

JH

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I just came from watching a bit od Monsters Vs Aliens on a Samsung 3D.I use prescription glasses.the glasses from samsung fitted so well on top of the others.they just sit a bit away from your face and the nose piece didn't even touch the nose piece from my glasses.just perfect fitting.as for 3D...a bit of mix feelings.seemed nice, some good effects, but from time to time I got a bit of double image.

A

Anonymous

vituperation , agression , aggro , stress ??

there is often a little discontent after a product doesnt get 5 stars , from those that think it should have (moi , in this case) , but its hardly as big a deal as your making out ? i cant speak for whfi , but id say theyre kinda used to it by now ,and i doubt they take it personally , they always handle it well imo , its not life and death you know
emotion-40.gif

Tooslow

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Max you are, fundamentally, right. But by the logic of "theyre kinda used to it by now" we'd still have slavery. If that post had been an email to a work colleague the guy would be in deep wotsits. It's just not acceptable and WHF have done the right thing.

I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not insulting you, I'm not sayng anything I wouldn't say to your face, I'm not accusing you of, well what? Incompetence? Corruption? Favouritism? We're having a civilised converstaion expressing different view points. No doubt on other matters we might agree. There are too many Mr Angry's on the internet and I'm pleased to see this site is policing them.

JH

A

Anonymous

Tooslow:
Max you are, fundamentally, right. But by the logic of "theyre kinda used to it by now" we'd still have slavery. If that post had been an email to a work colleague the guy would be in deep wotsits. It's just not acceptable and WHF have done the right thing.

I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not insulting you, I'm not sayng anything I wouldn't say to your face, I'm not accusing you of, well what? Incompetence? Corruption? Favouritism? We're having a civilised converstaion expressing different view points. No doubt on other matters we might agree. There are too many Mr Angry's on the internet and I'm pleased to see this site is policing them.

JH
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've got no problem with people disagreeing with us. That's fine, and Forums are all about having a healthy debate, after all.

What we do object to is people making unsubstantiated (and untrue) allegations against us and claiming we've done things we haven't. Yes, we're pretty thick skinned by now, but that doesn't mean we have to take rudeness or attacks on our professionalism lying down. Would you?

A

Anonymous

sorry andy i guess i shouldnt have stuck my oar in , i was responding to tooslows post , where he used some heavy words , but i should have responded for myself , and not for others , as after reading the thread again i can see there were a few snidy comments , allegations (not from me) from other posters that i expect yourself and the team wouldnt appreciate ..

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Owned a Panasonic TH-50PZ700 for 3 years and it still looks better than some current LCD TVs. That was the first 50" 1080p plasma from Panasonic and I was the first to own one in my city. Even with LCD technologies like 120Hz and 240Hz, scenes still look smoother on my plasma. I don't know why, but movie scenes played on current LCDs look somewhat weird as if they've been sped up to compensate for the motion blur.

A

Anonymous

csq2:Owned a Panasonic TH-50PZ700 for 3 years and it still looks better than some current LCD TVs. That was the first 50" 1080p plasma from Panasonic and I was the first to own one in my city. Even with LCD technologies like 120Hz and 240Hz, scenes still look smoother on my plasma. I don't know why, but movie scenes played on current LCDs look somewhat weird as if they've been sped up to compensate for the motion blur.

I also fell the same about most of the lcds i see in stores .... is this the "video look" we read on some reviews ?

And to tell you the truth is this kind of artificial image that i dislike and really dont want to have it in my living room....

or am I having a wrong perception of image and thats the real image your supost to see ???
( cause this was one of the arguments that one sailor used when i talk about the noticable diference in image)

Will be very intersting to know your opinions .. (i hope i can get Andrew , Clare , Andy to answer )

And yes it is great to have the editor's of one of your favorite magasine giving you the chance to interact to their audiance.. taking time to listen to consumers and talking to them.... your opinions are very important and affect the way we see technology ...

we cannot see this everyday ... so congratulations and keep up the good work !

thank you

M. Miguel

A

Anonymous

Having read this tread, i just think it boils down to personal preference which will always be subjective all be it TV's or cars etc.

It is interesting as I've read a number of conflicting review on the G20 some saying amazing others just good.

Going back to the original question, the best price i can find for the two set in 46 inches is now the same at £1,079.

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Panasonic_TXP46G20_46__Plasma_TV_Viera_Full_HD_600hz_Freeview_HD_DLNA_networking_TXP46G20B.html

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/13571949/Sony-Bravia-46-KDL-46EX503-Full-HD-1080p-Freeview-HD-LCD-TV/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:13571949%7Ccat:LCD

I had also been considering the Phillips 47PFL7404 but it's not been in stock.

At this sort of price bracket is the EX503 my best option?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I found this month's test results rather surprising.

Working for an AV retailer myself, I would rate the Panasonic set above the Sony in every regard apart from sound quality - the Sony really impresses in that regard. Although I'll admit the setup is not ideal (some lighting issues etc), the image noise on the Sony is intrusive - we have tried adjusting all picture settings and adding three different blu-ray players to no avail.

Furthermore, we are still having real problems with Sony's inconsistency - one set out of the box will show no back-light bleed, and another will be worse than poor LCD sets were four years ago. One has an entire mid-light grey strip down the left hand side. The Sony rep had little to say about it!

These issues may not occur on some sets such as your review samples at WHFi; however, it's difficult to recommend a product when there are so many inconsistencies between sets. I understand that all sets have their idiosyncrasies - I have the 42G20 myself (won not bought) and it's 'Plasma buzz' is far louder than my colleague's set, but I'd rather put up with a small buzz than a frankly naff picture!

A

Anonymous

Who cares, neither of them were the best tv's in the test anyway. It didnt come as a great suprise to me that the Philips set won; I own a 4 year old Philips tv and its fantastic in my opinion and despite its age it would still give more modern Panasonic & Sony TV's a run for their money; in fact I would say when it comes to picture quality it is probably better! ... That is only my opinion of course.

A

Anonymous

Just going back to a comment i think Clare made regarding how tv's have moved on and not to judge them on preconceptions that we may have heard from friends of friends.

When i bought my Philips 42" 9664 and i told friends and colleagues they were astonished....."you bought a 42" lcd are you mad" was the common response. Just about everyone of them had that little bit of knowledge they had picked up either from visiting comet or a friend which states anything above 40" = Plasma, below 40" = LCD. Now this may have been true 3 years ago i don'r believe it's true now. I went into quite a few shops and just looked at TV's, i didn't really acknowledge if they were lcd or plasma, they were just tv's amd i looked for the best picture i could see.

Since i first started trying to become more knowledgable about the different type of tv's i've vsisited friends and relatives houses and seen various makes, models & types, i've seen excellent plasma's and duff plasma's and the exact same with lcd's so it just seems obvious to me that you make your decision based on the size of tv you want then try and find the model you consider to be the best for your room taking into account lighting, viewing angles etc

It seems some people on the forums become whats the expression "fanboys" (no offense meant) of a certain make and can't see past them, i almost made that mistake with samsung, i have a small lcd portable and computer monitor and love them both so in my mind at the start of my quest samsung was the bess knees and could do no wrong, buit through advice from others, what hifi and just going into shops i opened my eyes to other makes/models.

Anyway you can take weeks, months even years to decide on a tv but at the end of the day whatever you buy is obsolete virtually the next day........................3D whats that then :)

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the philips 9664 and i still get the wow factor ever day , does the lcd need a tinkering YES with every movie every channel or gaming .but this is part of the joy , When you know the lcd settings like the back of your hand this PQ is simply OUTSTANDING . Were WHFI right in saying its miles ahead at the time and sounds like it still is of other tv companys imop EASILY YES. pany and sony fans get over it your time will come again maybe ,until the next brill philips, Respect where respect is due thanks WHAT team ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts