This months TV giant test

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, the Philips in the review has built-in wi-fi and a web browser, plus direct LED backlighting, while the Samsung is 3D capable out of the box and has edge LED backlighting.

Incidentally, the Sony gets 4 stars for features too, so it's not just the Panasonic.

Sky Explorer

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
True, LED backlighting is something the G20 would not have because its a plasma though rather than something that was not included. However the G20 has freesat and freeview HD tuners, 2 USB ports, and SD card slot, DLNA, USB (PVR) recording feature, one 1.4a ready HDMI port an dis THX certified.

This seems like quite a lot of features to me....

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:

Hi if the philips 42pfl9664 had been in this test how well would it have done? would it have kept it's 5 stars?

Thanks

Hi also now the philips 42pfl9664 is a bit cheaper than when it was in a group test with the philips 40pfl9704 which one would win between the two now?

thanks

Sky Explorer

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
just looked at the online specs for the G20 and this also seems wrong!

The TV has a PC D-sub connector, the web page states it has does not.
http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-TX-P42G20/Specs/

Also, just wondering when you will put a line in the spec web page for Freeview HD tuner/FreeSat tuner? Quite a few TV's this year will have Freeview HD tuners built-in, so it may be worth depicting this feature.

emotion-43.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Sky Explorer:

Also, just wondering when you will put a line in the spec web page for Freeview HD tuner/FreeSat tuner? Quite a few TV's this year will have Freeview HD tuners built-in, so it may be worth depicting this feature.

Yes, this is something we're acutely aware of and plan to add to the Tech Specs as soon as we can. It's not quite as straightforward as it may seem as our database feeds the print magazine Buying Guide and the online review specs simultaneously, so we'll have to make the necessary adjustment to the print Buying Guide first.

Sky Explorer

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick update
emotion-1.gif

Also may be worth considering HDMI 1.4a as a feature as some TV's will start appearing with these (I think the G20 has 1 for example)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

@Claire/Andy/Andrew

I would like to say thanks for this review, as I was going to get the Panasonic G20, but after reading your review, went and looked at it again and compared it with the Sony.

I was still leaning towards the Panasonic, partly because of the extra functionality (recording to hard drive via USB is a genius idea!) but also as I didn't much care for the silver/grey bar at the bottom of the TV. However, I felt the blacks on the (plasma) Panasonic were inferior compared to the LCD Sony - not what one would expect.

Following Sony's trade in offer (£100 off the Sony @ John Lewis) I opted for the Sony for only £649 - a complete bargain, and am stoked with the results.

I have paired it with the Sony BD 370 Blu-Ray player, and I'm pleased to see in this month's magazine that this has won the Blu-Ray Player group test.

100% agree with you on this, and would challenge all nay-sayers to see for themselves.

A

Anonymous

glad to hear you are happy with your new sony muldered , its a cracker by all accounts ..

but , just to clear up a few things , if the sony and panny were side by side , in a home envoirement , properly setup , not on vivid like in the stores , then the panasonic would have both deeper blacks and crucially , much more detail in the darker scenes ..

A

Anonymous

daveh75:Have you done that comparison max?
no , i have compared a sony 40w5500 , which i setup for a friend , with my own panasonic g10 , not side by side , but i watched several clips of dark scenes on inglurious basturds , and the dark knight blurays , first on the sony and then on my own tv , the sony had nice blacks , but not as deep as the g10 and not near the same level of shadow detail in those dark scenes either ...

the newer panasonic and sonys have both improved in the areas of black level , but the panasonic has the deeper blacks , as whfi have testified , along with many online reviews , i cant post links , i was just clearing that up , also , it is well known that a conventional lcd cant do shadow detail like a good plasma , the plasma cells fire independantly of each other , and therefore you get a much greater contrast ratio on a good plasma than on an lcd , and subsequently better shadow detail , that is a fact ...

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
muldered:

100% agree with you on this, and would challenge all nay-sayers to see for themselves.

Well, as discussed a couple of times in these threads, this will normally not help you one bit, unless of course you have the same lightening conditions at home as in the shop.

Very bright conditions will always favour the LCD set, whereas plasma's perform much better once you get it in your living room.

I therefore disagree, you cannot use subjective comparisons in shops for anything. You should rather rely on reviews, and here I always read 2-4 different reviews rather than just rely on one. In this situation I must say that opinions are very split to be diplomatic.

Sirguy969

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
Haven't managed to track down a copy of this here in Saudi, may seem pointless to most but still would love to know......does it beat a Kuro???

For example, a few years ago Ben Johnson set a new World Record for the 100m, drugged up to his eyeballs but was still the fastest man on two legs.

Accepted that Kuros are damn near impossible to find these days, so could be considered inelligible for comparissons (like cheating Ben) but those of us with them may like to know if we still have the best that money can buy.......possibly for bragging rights alone, a sense of smug satisfaction or maybe a desire to replace when it is bettered.

Thanks.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Pioneer Kuro series have still not been beaten in my opinion.

You will still find LX5090/KRP-500 as the reference TV at most serious reveiw sites - including WhatHifi.

Sirguy969

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
TKratz, whilst I welcome your opinion and indeed others, I would be very interested to hear WHFI view on this.

Again I must stress that I have not had the opportunity to read the full review yet but would be very interested to hear from WHFI as to how far off KURO beaters these sets are. Again for the reasons listed above.

Whilst I fully understand that these sets are no longer commercially available, I feel that they are still relevant as you say as the reference level to which these sets under review should be striving to at least match or beat.

Have they? Will they?

WHFI, what say you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts