This months Big Question

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just got home and had a quick read of the magazine that was dropped through my letterbox. Fantastic BQ this month about digital cables. Now, as I've done the BQ, I know that it's not fixed and as I've heard differences in digital cables, I know there are. I recently damaged my coaxial input on my Popcorn Hour and now have to use the optical one. At the moment I have a £10 cable and the difference between it and my Atlas Opus coaxial is obvious. I have a VDH Octocoupler on its way so things should improve. And no I'm not mad.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
''I've heard differences in digital cables, I know there are. I recently
damaged my coaxial input on my Popcorn Hour and now have to use the
optical one. At the moment I have a £10 cable and the difference
between it and my Atlas Opus coaxial is obvious. I have a VDH
Octocoupler on its way so things should improve.''

So you can hear the difference in the sound between using the coaxial and the optical cables then you mean ?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger:

So you can hear the difference in the sound between using the coaxial and the optical cables then you mean ?

Yes

A

Anonymous

Alantiggger:

...and the implementation of each type of input of that device...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I may be wrong (again...lol)

Does the argument not go along the lines of 'same type' cables ...like if there is a difference in what you hear when you switch from one say, coaxial to another coaxial different brand/price or in this case an optical cable ... you'd have to hear the difference from using one optical to that of another optical different brand/price as opposed to between a coaxial and an optical ?

A

Anonymous

If it works for you, i.e. provides differences, then fair enough. Enjoy! I'm cynical but I've not done any digital cable comparison.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?
It doesn't matter. Your mind is already made up.Actually, technically it does matter. Any sort of talking or discussion during the tests may influence the results. Therefore, the test is invalidated.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?
It doesn't matter. Your mind is already made up.Actually, technically it does matter. Any sort of talking or discussion during the tests may influence the results. Therefore, the test is invalidated.

Tosh.

edit- you make your own mind up not somebody elses or vice versa- ie what Gerrard says.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:The Green room or the Yellow?

The Yellow: the Green Room is where the Big Question victims participants wait until we're ready for them

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:
Grottyash:Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?

Tosh.

edit- you make your own mind up not somebody elses or vice versa- ie what Gerrard says.

Tosh yourself! Check with the psychology department at your local university. They'll point you towards some texts which will explain why.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Grottyash:Any sort of talking

Next month's Big Question will come to you from the Grande Chartreuse monastery...

emotion-19.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Tosh.

Tosh yourself! Check with the psychology department at your local university. They'll point you towards some texts which will explain why.
If,at the local psychology dept, they text you the answer which fits the theory,then you are correct.

A

Anonymous

Ravy Gravy Davy, I'm talking about test procedure, which is why I said technically. I make no comment about the individuals involved, nor the result which could be exactly the same as a test with a tighter test procedure.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not meant to be a scientific test, although it is blind to the extent that the participants aren't told what the products being evaluated are, or often what kind of changes are being made, until after the testing has been completed.

Rather the intention is to get a few readers together each month to chew the fat regarding some of the thornier hi-fi/home cinema topics of the moment. Or thereabouts.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

It's not meant to be a scientific test, although it is blind to the extent that the participants aren't told what the products being evaluated are, or often what kind of changes are being made, until after the testing has been completed.

Rather the intention is to get a few readers together each month to chew the fat regarding some of the thornier hi-fi/home cinema topics of the moment. Or thereabouts.

Exactly.Technically.(sorry,couldn't help that.)

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Would have seemed logical to me include a direct comparison between the cheap usb and award winning usb as the last test.

If you need to connect via usb (from a laptop) then toslink isnt generally an option, so what the point of comparing them? - would have been interested to know if an 'award winning usb' fared better than the cheap usb option?

....or maybe I read it wrong, it is wine oclock after all.

idc

Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?
It doesn't matter. Your mind is already made up.

That is not true. I am following the best evidence, which is at the moment that the difference is in the listener and not the cable. Should the evidence suggest otherwise I will do so as well.

The problem is that none of the blind tests, sighted tests or measurements that I have seen have been wholly conclusive one way or another. I am not a scientist, I have a legal background and at the moment I would certainly say that the evidence against cables having an intrinsic effect is good enough to meet civil requirements, as in the balance of probabilities and pretty much criminal requirements, as in beyond all possibilities. But I would imagine that in a Scottish Criminal Court the case would be found not proven.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Alantiggger:missing the point me thinks ?

Am I?

I thought I was bringing the thread back on topic, as in discussing this months Big Question, and it seemed strange to me that the 2 usb cables werent directly compared, instead of comparing them both to an optical cable.

Very few people are going to have a source with both optical and usb outputs are they? So whats the point of comparison when a more revealing test might have been a £50.00 usb cable versus a 99p one.

Seems to me a more valid discussion of the article than how tight the security of the testing proceedure is!

If you really need a conspiracy theory to keep you happy, perhaps there is a reason why they didnt compare / publish the reults of the 2 usb cables diirectly against each other.......!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BillDay66:Very few people are going to have a source with both optical and usb outputs are they?

Well, most laptops these days will have both, and definitely any Apple based PC (which are quite popular for music servers).

(not taking away the point that a direct comparison of USB cables would also have been nice, just saying that having both optical and USB outputs isn't that uncommon and is a question which comes up relatively frequently in the forums).

TRENDING THREADS