This is all too complicated! Help Needed - Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello clever people.

My current situation is this:

Sony KDL52W300, SKY HD, Sony DAV S400 (old 5.1 Jobbie), Sony PS3.

I love my surround sound but cannot / have not got my ps3 to work with it yet.

I watch movies, lots of movies! Mostly Blu Ray and would love to hear the difference through my 5.1 speakers - HOW?

And the last question, is it worth upgrading my speakers to something more modern? Are they really going to sound all that different to me? And is it worth replacing my ps3 as an out and out Blu Ray player as I dont use it to play games really. I have thought about a new all in one system (mainly because I dont know what I'm doing) but would consider seperates if anyone has any suggestions for a system that would be worth spending £1500 - £2000 on? (speakers, player and receiver)

your help in this matter is greatly appreciated and I am sure it is well beneath you all, but your time will not be wasted!

thanks in advance

my first post!

Matt

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Matt.

I went from a Sony DAV-S550 to my current stuff. The difference is night and day.

Separates will certainly give you the sound you're after, and for £1500 - £2000 you should be able to get a great system.

With regards to speakers. Are you after small-ish speakers like your Sonys, or are you interested in a more traditional (and larger) speaker package?

Traditional boxy speakers will give a better sound, but you've gotta have the space for them. Style system speaker packages are not quite as capable as their traditional cousins, but are a lot more discrete and easier to find space for.

You should check out the WHFSAV.com reviews section, and make a shortlist for further investigation.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, much appreciated.

I have been checking out the systems on offer from Superfi and Cambridge Acoustics; they seem to have some great bundles on offer.

Size not a major problem but I kind of like the smaller speakers tbh, I know I am not a serious hi fi ist (making words up now!) but I do like to think I have the very best that I can afford! is that snobbish? I like the look of the Mission cubes - but have to admit I dont know what Im on about here!

Do I need an av reciever? will it make that much difference? if so I like the onks, yams and sonys for around £600 5.1 is enough for me I reckon so do I need to buy a 7.1 reciever?

Will a dedicated brp be that much better than my ps3 at playing br discs? if so which one do I get?

Oh its all too much, you could get into serious trouble buying everything you want / need couldnt you?

Think I might have just found a new hobby!

OH DEAR

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts