Thinking of Cyrus 8 instead of 6

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I had settled on a Cyrus 6vs and a Cyrus CD6 along with MA RS8s having heard a demo. I will also be attaching a Lin LP12 TT once upgraded. As I can spare the cash, I am now wondering whether to get Cyrus 8 kit instead. If so, what extra should I expect from the kit, and am I entering a slippery slope of changing the speakers, accepting that my pockets are not limitless? My living room is about 22ft by 12 reducing to 9, with wall to wall carpets and a three piece suite. The speaker cable run will each be around 7 metres with the speakers not in the optimum position. I will be listening to classical music and jazz.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
If I can reply to myself, on second (or third) thoughts, a Cyrus 8 setup might be stretching my intended budget a bit too far. In answer to a previous post, Andrew advised me to " Consider adding an extra power amp to biamp whichever speakers you buy - you won't regret it." Is this a pre and power amp instead of an integrated amp? Can anyone enlighten me please? Also, what other bits and pieces will I need to spend money on? Cyrus speaker cables? Cables to connect the Cyrus equipment? Power leads? Or do the latter cables come with the Cyrus kit? I am assuming that the Linn TT cable to the Cyrus will be sorted out by the Linn repairer.

BTW, my demo was on the shop floor. I think that I ought to have a proper demo before I make up my mind finally.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, biamping with an amplifier such as the Cyrus involves driving just the treble part of the speakers with the amplifier, and connecting a matching power amplifier to the pre-out (preamp-level output) sockets provided on the amp to drive the bass sections of the speakers. So to do this with the 6vs, you'll need the amp, an extra pair of interconnects and a power amp - the 6 Power seems the logical choice -, plus of course two runs of cable to each speaker.

You don't have to use the Cyrus cables with this system, though they are very good - sensibly-priced third-party interconnects and speaker cables, such as QED Qunex/Silver anniversary, or Chord Cobra/Carnival Silver Plus Biwire, will be perfectly adequate.

But the main thing you should bear in mind is that the Cyrus amps, like so many amplifiers these days, don't have a phono input for connection to a turntable. You'll need to add an external phono stage: a unit such as the Cambridge Audio 640P would be a good budget choice, but I've also had good experiences with the Graham Slee/GSP Audio phono stages, so that company's Gram Amp 2 would be a sensible investment to make the most of your Linn in this system.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again, Andrew, for the very helpful advice. I take it that the power leads that, I assume, come with the bits of kit will suffice.

A

Anonymous

Hi Miker

If you Bi-amp your speakers, you will need to buy another cyrus 6 amplifier, which would be more expensive than just having the 8. I think the main question you need to ask yourself is how loud you like to listen to your music.

Personally I like my classical loud and bold, so I can hear everything and its more dramatic. Indeed when I go to a classical concert the orchestra is always too quiet for me, so I always prefer to listen to it through the Hifi !

I would say if the 6 was loud enough in the shop for your tastes, then stick to it, you can always buy another one in a few years time when you have saved up and bi-wire it!

Graham

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I am now thinking of Spendor S5e speakers partly because of their neat, slim appearance. I know that it is stretching my intended budget but my thinking is that I can upgrade the Cyrus kit later if thought necessay but not the speakers. The only problem is that there are no Cyrus/Spendor stockists within 60 or more miles of where I live, and I have yet to hear Spendors.

A

Anonymous

Sevenoaks Hifi stock the Spendors and the cyrus

The spendors sound nice and warm, but to me they look at bit narrow and rather dated.

Graham

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="GeekyGraham"]
Hi Miker

If you Bi-amp your speakers, you will need to buy another cyrus 6 amplifier, which would be more expensive than just having the 8. I think the main question you need to ask yourself is how loud you like to listen to your music.

[/quote]

Not, of course, that biamping makes any difference to the loudness of, or indeed the actual sound pressure levels available from, an amplification system.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately Sevenoaks at Preston do not stock Spendors. They will sell me some but will not arrange a demo first. Before I hotfoot it across to Sheffield has anyone any views on Spendors with Cyrus? Andrew suggested a PMC GB1 as an option for a slim, neat floorstander with Cyrus but that would mean a trip down to Cheshire.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am not a Cyrus expert but come to speakers I can talk to you all day long. PMC FB+ that my mate have are exceptionally good in the bass department, I never heard GB1 though! The problem with PMC is quality which can be a bit hit and miss as my friend's pair has been wired internally out-of-phase in the factory!

Spender with Cyrus should work! Spender warm-ish meet Cyrus forward sound. Spender S5e can be had for £800 from sevenorks in edinburgh, talk to them nicely you might get a free delivery!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Miker"]

Unfortunately Sevenoaks at Preston do not stock Spendors. They will sell me some but will not arrange a demo first. Before I hotfoot it across to Sheffield has anyone any views on Spendors with Cyrus? Andrew suggested a PMC GB1 as an option for a slim, neat floorstander with Cyrus but that would mean a trip down to Cheshire.

[/quote]

Was in the Sheffield Sevenoaks last sunday - they had the Spendor range, but they can't sell Cyrus (!). Apprently only Moogate Acoustics are allowed to sell Cyrus in Sheffield. However they do have the Spendors too so it looks like you need to go there instead. Hopefully a parking meter outside Moorgate's is free.....

BTW i heard Cyrus CD7 / 7 Amp into some spendors S6's a few years ago and it sounded great.

jules.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the votes for Spendor. I have already contacted Moorgate Accoustics as well as Hi-Fi Servicing and repairs at the same address, the latter to upgrade my vintage Linn LP12 TT. Assuming that I like the Spendors, next is agreeing the wood colour with my wife but I can't expect your advice on that. We have oak and teak furniture, neither of which are featured Spendor colours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts