New Cambridge CXA60 vs second hand Cyrus 6/8 XPD/DAC

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi - I am looking for an amp with an on board DAC, to replace an Arcam Alpha 7 amp and rDAC and drive my Mission 773e speakers.

The Cambridge CXA60 is well reviewed, and comes with all the digital inputs I need (the rDAC now has too few), but I was wondering how much of an upgrade it would be over the Arcam kit.

The Cyrus 6 XPD, 6 DAC, 8 XPD, or 8 DAC seem to sell second hand for around £700 on the online auction site and, though they'd test the upper limits of my budget, I was wondering if one of these would be a better alternative, or overkill.

What do you think? Or are there other amp/DACs that I've missed and are worth a look?

Thanks,

James

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
jas0_0 said:
Hi - I am looking for an amp with an on board DAC, to replace an Arcam Alpha 7 amp and rDAC and drive my Mission 773e speakers.

The Cambridge CXA60 is well reviewed, and comes with all the digital inputs I need (the rDAC now has too few), but I was wondering how much of an upgrade it would be over the Arcam kit.

The Cyrus 6 XPD, 6 DAC, 8 XPD, or 8 DAC seem to sell second hand for around £700 on the online auction site and, though they'd test the upper limits of my budget, I was wondering if one of these would be a better alternative, or overkill.

What do you think? Or are there other amp/DACs that I've missed and are worth a look?

Thanks,

James

I think the CXA60 is a beautiful looking integrated amp with everything you could wish for at that price. From previous experiences it probably has more power than the specs would make you think.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have no experience with the kit you have listed, but i would say it depends a) how high end you want to go and b) how much risk you are wiling to be prepared to take on 2nd hand kit.

For what its worth, my opinons on 2nd hand kit are most of it would be fine, but cant comment on the sound qualities of the amps mentioned. Reckon if you can get a Cyrus 8DAC for £700 could be worth a punt.

The CXA60 uses the same DAC chip as the CA DACMagic, which is a nice DAC by all accounts, but i believe a step DOWN from the RDAC (please confirm others?).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts