Things that non-audiophiles say

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Paul. said:
"What does this button do?"

(whilst getting painfully close to poking soft dome tweeter)

Same experience, but with the metal tweeter of my B&W 685s.

Stop that, it sounds exactly the same (as I switch between DAC filters to see which I prefer on each song).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
"You paid how much for a record player? By the way, did I tell you that me and her have booked 2 weeks all inclusive in Tenerife for just under £1000"

A

Anderson

You can get a good HiFi from Argos for £90.

Edit: beaten to it a couple posts up, this was genuinely said to me in work. The worst thing is, I could hear myself trying to explain what HiFi was and I sounded a knob lol

A

Anderson

I don't know why you can't be happy with the speakers in the TV.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know any audiophiles. Nobody I know cares about what they're listening on, only what they are listening to. Of course they are passionate about things but none of them audio equipment.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
"Why do you still buy CDs when you can download MP3s for free from <<illegal torrenting site probably full of viruses, spyware and trojans>>". Because CDs potentially sound better and I believe in acquiring my music through legal channels. Yes I know I'm in a minority, certainly the last part.

"You still play records?? OMG, why? They sounded awful. ". No they don't. You associate the sound of records with your 1980s £150 Matsui midi system. I happen to like the sound of them and the whole tactile physical experience that goes with buying them, owning them and playing them. It's not something you'll ever understand.

"Tapes always sounded rubbish". Yeah, on your £15 Saisho walkman and your Matsui midi system. I would show you how well they sound on my Nakamichi, but you wouldn't appreciate the difference.

"Why don't you sell all those boxes and buy an nice all in one system from Argos?" Because it sounds rubbish. Though point taken in principle: what would you say to me spending £3,600 on a Naim Super Uniti? Thought so.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Things non audiophiles say - that's just it. When you're playing pieces of music carefully selected to show off your systems abilities they just sit talking about stuff. Any old stuff.

Audiphiles spend a lot of time listening for how tight and tunefull the bass line is. How the attack of the note is satisfyingly short. How clear the midrange is and how well integrated the drivers are thanks to the crossover design. Non audiophiles meanwhile are aware there's some background tunes on.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a degree in - Physics/Electronics/worked in the HiFi industry for 100 years - so obviously I know it all (including loudness wars - sod the volume control! - it's not needed) - loudness button WTF!!

So I obviously (arrogantly) know better than yow - you cloth eared moron!!.

Rings true?

tonky

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you got a small hidden speaker in the middle, it sounds like the people are singing in between the speakers , I have never heard music like that before .

To which I reply that is called stereophonic sound *smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Have you got a small hidden speaker in the middle, it sounds like the people are singing in between the speakers , I have never heard music like that before .

To which I reply that is called stereophonic sound *smile*

Cinephile vs Audiophile

"You're getting sound only from the front. You need more speakers for surround."

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't like all those cables sticking out. That TV is massive.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
a lot of negative posts on here regarding Bose, I understand they maybe not to everyone's taste, BUT for people who don't like music much they can be a very good option.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Non Audiophile. I'm looking to buy a Hifi system that I like the sound of and give me pleasure; maybe a TT and a Valve Amp.

Audiophile. That's your first mistake.

Non Audiophile. Why?

Audiophile. Because it needs to be neutral and measure well. Distortion is your enemy.

Non Audiophile. But what if I don't like the sound of your suggestions?

Audiophile. Live with it, as that is the way it is supposed to sound.

Non Audiophile. I thought it was about the music and the way it makes you feel.

Audiophile. That's your second mistake. Now go and buy what I tell you to, or you will never be considered to be a fully fledged Audiophile.

Non Audiophile. I think I'll pass, thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts