Things audiophiles say that make us look like weirdos to normal people

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I told a friend I was going to spend £810 on a Honda lawn mower whose Hi Fi spending dwarfs my not too modest outlay. He shouted over the phone that I was completely nuts spending so much, especially when he'd spent under £50 on an electric one! When I pointed out that he'd just spent a fortune on both a refurb'd LP12 and a active Linn system, he retorted that lawn mowing wasn't a hobby. He was right, it isn't.

I know cyclists who have three bikes, amateur photographer's with little talent but all the latest gear so it's not just Hi Fi owners who indulge in obsessive behaviour! When my Hi Fi interest gets queried, I point out that I don't own a car & no longer have a mortgage.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Don't let them know you resurrected a 14 month old thread on a hi-fi forum to tell everybody, or they'll really think you're cuckoo.

*secret*

Andrewjvt said:
Hes just keeping himself sane..

After 6 years and over 6000 posts on this forum I fear it's probably passed the point of no return. *wacko*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
But everyone thinks audiophiles are weird apart from audiophiles.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Vladimir said:
"Sibilant."

I actually used this word in a real life conversation at work last week. Cringe.

Perhaps the elders, should nominate an audiophile "word of the day", which members had to try and use in conversations "in the outside world". Words like 'cable' on their own, would not count because they sound almost normal. *crazy*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Perhaps the elders, should nominate an audiophile "word of the day", which members had to try and use in conversations "in the outside world". Words like 'cable' on their own, would not count because they sound almost normal. *crazy*

That could actually be quite funny. As it was your idea it's only fair that you get to nominate the first word (or phrase?).

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
In some parts of the country just having people know you're an audiophile* could have you beaten to a pulp and your house torched.

* See also paediatrician

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
In some parts of the country just having people know you're an audiophile* could have you beaten to a pulp and your house torched.

* See also paediatrician

But the police haven't caught you with your box of matches yet. *biggrin*

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
expat_mike said:

That could actually be quite funny. As it was your idea it's only fair that you get to nominate the first word (or phrase?).

Ok, my nomination is ‘trouser-flapping bass’.

which i spotted in this paragraph by Andrew Everard:

Over the course of many years of listening, I’ve got used to having to work hard to nail down the differences between different speakers: they’re usually easy enough to hear, once you’ve run some familiar tracks through a couple of times, but putting them into words is the tricky bit. And that’s especially true of you’re also trying to avoid falling back on some of the lazier reviewing clichés, from ‘trouser-flapping bass’ (which surely went out when loon pants were abandoned some time around the mid-1970s, but I guess may have been revived when chinos came back in) to windows being cleaned and flung open.

Good luck *biggrin*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:

I am an audiophile and I think I'm weird. *yes3*

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird too but that has little to do with being an audiophile, they do say that I am nice weird though. *unknw* *biggrin*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Ok, my nomination is ‘trouser-flapping bass’.

Maybe we should make a list of a dozen or so phrases and whoever gets through the list first wins? Come on guys be proud to be an audiophile and embrace the madness!

My nomination for the list is "The loudness wars".

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
No real hifi is complete without a turntable.

This bit of screened wire sounds different to that bit of screened wire.

Most folks know what a turntable is. Most folks probably dont know what 'High (or otherwise) Resolution' means, at least not in Audio terms.

As to your second example ... well, digital hearing aids don't rely on fancy wiring as there are only noughts and ones. You should be ok :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
BigH said:
But everyone thinks audiophiles are weird apart from audiophiles.?

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird too but that has little to do with being an audiophile, they do say that I am nice weird though.  *unknw* *biggrin*

'Hey sweetie, play outside in the garden where we can see you! Dont follow uncle electro into the basement'

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
BigH said:

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird too but that has little to do with being an audiophile, they do say that I am nice weird though. *unknw* *biggrin*

'Hey sweetie, play outside in the garden where we can see you! Dont follow uncle electro into the basement'

Everybody already knows never to follow me into my listening room or they will suffer being made to sit in the "listening chair" *shok* and subjected to indescribable torture and soul destroying lectures on how it all works.

They are only released when I think they fully understand. *diablo*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
BigH said:
But everyone thinks audiophiles are weird apart from audiophiles.?

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird too but that has little to do with being an audiophile, they do say that I am nice weird though.  *unknw* *biggrin*

Everybody already knows never to follow me into my listening room or they will suffer being made to sit in the "listening chair" *shok* and subjected to indescribable torture and soul destroying lectures on how it all works.

Good man.
I may be similar

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
" . someone who I've never met, but been speaking to on a forum, will be popping by later, he's bringing his Pre/Power amps with him for me to have a listen to with my speakers"

My family still can't get over that one.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:

Enter my listening room at your peril! *diablo*

You will be forced to endure MP3 vs lossless ABX listening tests. Anything less than 20 of them is statistically insignificant so there's no escape until I've categorically proven that you can't hear a difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts