Things audiophiles say that make us look like weirdos to normal people

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
"Well, it all started when I got the Brilliant Pebbles to address specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries.

The family feline thought they were a new form of cat litter and had a wee on them, somehow causing a short circuit and a loud bang. This was unfortunate, as it coincided with exercise time for the family Dagus, which got such a fright that they both jumped into the Reflex Port of the nearest transducer.

To prevent further sonic torture to these unfortunate creatures, I disconected the Tri-Wire speaker cable and started the rescue proceedure. Since both furry creatures were hiding behind the Midrange Woofer I had to remove the Tweeter and go in from the top. Luckily the evacuation was successful, as that speaker sounded considerably worse with a port bung. It totally ruined the PRAT.

I'm now saving up for some Dark Matter Optical Coating, [/b]which is the first audio product to address the (generally unrecognized) problem in CD playback produced by invisible, infrared scattered laser light inside the transport compartment.

Happy Days!"

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a degree in - Physics/Electronics/worked in the HiFi industry for 100 years - so obviously I know it all (including loudness wars - sod the volume control! - it's not needed) - loudness button WTF!!

So I obviously (arrogantly) know better than yow - you cloth eared moron!!.

Rings true?

tonky

D

Deleted member 2457

Have you had your TV calibrated? Sevenoaks is a good shop.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
"Well, it all started when I got the Brilliant Pebbles to address specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries.

The family feline thought they were a new form of cat litter and had a wee on them, somehow causing a short circuit and a loud bang. This was unfortunate, as it coincided with exercise time for the family Dagus, which got such a fright that they both jumped into the Reflex Port of the nearest transducer.

To prevent further sonic torture to these unfortunate creatures, I disconected the Tri-Wire speaker cable and started the rescue proceedure. Since both furry creatures were hiding behind the Midrange Woofer I had to remove the Tweeter and go in from the top. Luckily the evacuation was successful, as that speaker sounded considerably worse with a port bung. It totally ruined the PRAT.

I'm now saving up for some Dark Matter Optical Coating, which is the first audio product to address the (generally unrecognized) problem in CD playback produced by invisible, infrared scattered laser light inside the transport compartment.

Happy Days!"

The first and last paragraphs sound a lot like ellisdj.

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I went in for a demo of my speakers a couple of months ago. I was all excited until my wife said she would come in with me... immediately i felt... 1. Pressure to hurry up 2. not able to put on music i wanted to hear to test the speakers cause its not to her taste. etc.

Anyway, after testing speakers (and her looking at her watch an hour into it) the owner comes of the shop comes in and we start chatting :

- Speaker x had more personality

-Speaker y had amazing soundstage

-Speaker z just sounded too clinical

- x speaker was just so much more engaging

- The separation was outstanding etc.

Afterwards my wife cracked up at me for talking like an idiot with the owner :)

To be fair though.... she is amazing... she let me buy the speakers that were twice the cost of the ones i went in for... on top of seeing the Linn LP12 and saying "ooh that looks nice... why dont you get that?" (and now she has actually let me... cause its the only TT that looks good in the livingroom of course :) )

Then when the owner of the shop mentioned a streamer she looked over and said "is that something you will need?"

So i cant complain too much about her but yes.... called me a pretentious idiot when i left the store...

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Crystalarts said:
I went in for a demo of my speakers a couple of months ago. I was all excited until my wife said she would come in with me... immediately i felt... 1. Pressure to hurry up 2. not able to put on music i wanted to hear to test the speakers cause its not to her taste. etc.

Anyway, after testing speakers (and her looking at her watch an hour into it) the owner comes of the shop comes in and we start chatting :

To be fair though.... she is amazing... she let me buy the speakers that were twice the cost of the ones i went in for... on top of seeing the Linn LP12 and saying "ooh that looks nice... why dont you get that?" (and now she has actually let me... cause its the only TT that looks good in the livingroom of course :) )

Then when the owner of the shop mentioned a streamer she looked over and said "is that something you will need?"

So i cant complain too much about her but yes.... called me a pretentious idiot when i left the store...

Your Wife ''lets'' you buy things?............

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Crystalarts said:

Your Wife ''lets'' you buy things?............

considering in the last year i bought b&w headphones, sonus faber speakers, samsung 65 inch 4k tv, Anthem AV receiver, UD7007, linn center speaker and B&W rears, an Omega watch, a DAC Magic plus, B&W c5 earphones, Jaybird wireless earphones (or whatever they are called), the full led zeppelin vinyl boxsets costing 80 quid each ... to name but a few things..... i think she has every right to decide if i am allowed anything else to add...

The ministry of Finance & interior always has to clear these things first!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I actually used this word in a real life conversation at work last week. Cringe.

Don't let them know you resurrected a 14 month old thread on a hi-fi forum to tell everybody, or they'll really think you're cuckoo. ;-)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:
I actually used this word in a real life conversation at work last week. Cringe.

Don't let them know you resurrected a 14 month old thread on a hi-fi forum to tell everybody, or they'll really think you're cuckoo. ;-)

Hes just keeping himself sane..
I hate the word audiophile

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:

Posting in a hi-fi forum at 2:17am and 3:25am also gives the game away a bit.

chebby said:
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:

Posting in a hi-fi forum at 2:17am and 3:25am also gives the game away a bit.

So he works night shift. ;-)

All my music collection is in MQA format......... :)

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
I've already got this on CD, but this is the 40 year anniversary re-mastered version.

I've already got this on tape, vinyl and cd but this is the 50th anniversary edition remastered from the original analogue master tape and has both mono and stereo versions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts