Things audiophiles say that make us look like weirdos to normal people

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
" . someone who I've never met, but been speaking to on a forum, will be popping by later, he's bringing his Pre/Power amps with him for me to have a listen to with my speakers"

Is this like a Tinder thing? ;-) Or do I mean Grindr?

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
In some parts of the country just having people know you're an audiophile* could have you beaten to a pulp and your house torched.

* See also paediatrician

Especially if you are known to have bi-wired!

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
BigH said:
But everyone thinks audiophiles are weird apart from audiophiles.

I am an audiophile and I think I'm weird. *yes3*

My family and most of my friends think I'm weird too but that has little to do with being an audiophile, they do say that I am nice weird though. *unknw* *biggrin*

'Hey sweetie, play outside in the garden where we can see you! Dont follow uncle electro into the basement'

Everybody already knows never to follow me into my listening room or they will suffer being made to sit in the "listening chair" *shok* and subjected to indescribable torture and soul destroying lectures on how it all works.

They are only released when I think they fully understand. *diablo*

Actually it still does my head in realising that a paper, kevlar etc, cone moving back and forth can produce sounds that replicate various instruments and the human voice all at the same time. Really how does that work???

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
mikeparker59 said:
Bannana plugs are illegal in Europe

really?

Yep really.

I noticed it first in the instruction manual that came with my AV amp, I've seen it since elsewhere. Of course I had to find out why, being the curious type. The reason is quite simple when you find out.

Banna plugs fit quite nicely in those European style mains sockets, so to prevent anyone accidentally plugging their speakers or speaker output of their amp directly into the mains, banana plugs are prohibited in Europe *stop*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
I noticed it first in the instruction manual that came with my AV amp, I've seen it since elsewhere. Of course I had to find out why, being the curious type. The reason is quite simple when you find out.

Banna plugs fit quite nicely in those European style mains sockets, so to prevent anyone accidentally plugging their speakers or speaker output of their amp directly into the mains, banana plugs are prohibited in Europe *stop*

Bunch of European bureaucratic killjoys: that's why we've all got to vote OUT in June before they take over the world.

Ummm sorry, seem to have gone all Daily Mail comments column for a moment there...

spiny norman said:
mikeparker59 said:

Bunch of European bureaucratic killjoys: that's why we've all got to vote OUT in June before they take over the world.

Ummm sorry, seem to have gone all Daily Mail comments column for a moment there...

Perhaps they will be making a law next on how to actually spell banana. :)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Of course, there is a typically thorough German solution to the banana problem:

0610_Cu_gro__01.jpg

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have heard this issue being mentioned before.

But the fact is that both my amp and my speakers -- which I bought in official Belgian hifi shops -- can take banana plugs, and the plugs themselves are for sale anywhere (in both brick&mortar and online shops).

I was never told I couldn't/shouldn't use them. What's the fuss about?

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
My Amps and speakers had tight fitting plastic plugs that had to be removed with some difficulty (had to screw a drill into them actually and pull) before banana plugs could be inserted.

I only knew of this because I actually read a manual ! The one for my Onkyo AV amp.

I believe it was in Sweden where the issue of being able to insert banana plugs into electrical sockets first arose.

This thread is getting very foody now swedes are involved !

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Those of you who have been further south that Dover will lealise that the European mains plug uses two round pins, which happen to be about the same diameter as banana plugs.

In Blighty you've managed to cling on to the far superior 13-amp lug with rectangular pins and sockets with holes for live and neutral that only open up when the earth pin is inserted. That havin been said, if you vote to stay in Europe, you'll probably loose those, as well as your pint, driving on the left, speed limits in mph, distances in miles, etc. etc.

Anyways, how about "my hifi cost more than your car" is always certain to bring a look of consternation to the average "I bought mine at Argos" character.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts