Things audiophiles say that make us look like weirdos to normal people

scene

steve_1979 said:
I've stopped telling people this one because I was getting too many funny looks from people:

"My headphones cost £350. They were half price."
:) too true.
I've stopped telling people the cost of most of my stuff...
"You paid how much?! For a CABINET!!"

D

Deleted member 2457

TrevC said:
My £2999 mains lead improves the sound of my system. My £2999 interconnects make a night and day difference, even my wife commented on it.
*smile*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
scene said:
steve_1979 said:
I've stopped telling people this one because I was getting too many funny looks from people:

"My headphones cost £350. They were half price."
:) too true. I've stopped telling people the cost of most of my stuff... "You paid how much?! For a CABINET!!"

When I'd just ordered the AVI Neutron 5 system for £900 I got a funny look from a girl at work for saying "It's actually really good value."

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Me: I've just bought a new subwoofer for £800.

Friend: Wow! That's expensive. I bet it sounds really good though.

Me: Yeah it does. But most of the time when I turn it on and off while music's playing I struggle to hear any difference.

*dash1*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think I was one now I'm not so sure £350! for half price headphones. Why don't normal people hear it? I'm sure if I heard something that sounds as good as I hear in my system I would, well gushing!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
To someone telling me about how good their plastic mini system was "My speaker cables cost more than that".

Separation, soundstaging, transparency, air, resolution, timbre, etc. Actually, I never say these things in real life. That's what forums like this are for - Hanging out with fellow weirdos and enablers so that I feel normal.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
"When I replaced component "x" I could hear things I hadn't heard before, the guitarist clearing his throat etc"

Makes me wonder by the time an audiophile has finished upgrading if the recording is simply a 60 minute coughing session :)

"Each note had more air around it"

"Maybe your equipment is simply not revealing enough to appreciate the difference"...

And here is one from a closet Audiophile...

"I can't bear to listen to passives any more, they are just so harsh, screechy and boomy!"

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't say anything, but the first thing my wife says when showing any visitors into our music room for the first time, is why the sofa is in the middle of the room (thats a slight exageration as it is only 1m in from the wall)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The guy on another forum who, "prior to sitting down to a critical listening session", goes for a short walk, comes home and does some stretching exercises. Then he cleans each ear out with some medical ear cleansing fluid. Then he holds his nose and pops his ears. Then he does the breathing in and out routine before sticking on a record.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
When you're giving someone a demo of your HiFi and you say these words with far too much enthusiasm:

"Sit there in the sweet spot and listen to this."

Guilty on several occasions of this
embaressed_smile.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
And here is one from a closet Audiophile...

"I can't bear to listen to passives any more, they are just so harsh, screechy and boomy!"

I actually used the words "boom and tizz" once in a real conversation. I cringed a second later as soon as I'd realised what I'd just said.

TRENDING THREADS