The worst phrase in hifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Breeder:"Russ Andrews"

Very intelligent ...
emotion-40.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:JoelSim:
I only have one knob JD. Unfortunately.

So everything else is pushbuttons or up/down rockers, then...?

Not even that Andrew. One volume knob on the A85 and everything else is buttons. Buttons, buttons and more buttons.

And that knob isn't really a knob as it goes on ad infinitum like a roundabout in a kiddies playground, unless the power is on in which case it stops when my ears start bleeding.

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Breeder:"Russ Andrews"

Very intelligent ...ÿ
emotion-40.gif

ÿ

I tend to agree. It doesn't really count as a term in 'hifi' surely ;)

ÿ

(of course that assumes that hifi doesn't meen "high five" in the original posting!)ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Russ gets some bad press really, although I know he/they bent the truth on their advertising I'm sure they had internal justification for the claims.

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Would'nt worry about explaining it Joel, they are the same people that dismiss other things they don't have a clue about let alone heard any of it. Probably descendants of the witch hunters of days long gone by. Personally I call them knobs to get back to the hifi theme.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Would'nt worry about explaining it Joel, they are the same people that dismiss other things they don't have a clue about let alone heard any of it. Probably descendants of the witch hunters of days long gone by. Personally I call them knobs to get back to the hifi theme.

Quite right DM. They do say that your name is what your decendents used to be. ÿMine were Seamstress in the cotton mills in Lancashire, yours were obviously early band members...

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Thats how I'd like to think how I look
emotion-21.gif

My girlfriend would like me to look like that. Frankly I don't care...large doner please mate

ÿ

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Imo girls usually say exactly the opposite of what they mean so you should be fine mate ...
emotion-1.gif

Kinda makes me think about Clares write up of those Gotham cables ...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Russ gets some bad press really, although I know he/they bent the truth on their advertising I'm sure they had internal justification for the claims.

ÿ

No, they made a claim bout one product in reference to another, if i may say so.

A

Anonymous

al7478:JoelSim:

ÿ

No, they made a claim bout one product in reference to another, if i may say so.

wasnt there talk of them using cheap pioneer internals in one of there products also??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Although I am not entirely familiar with the recent issues at RA hey would'nt be the only ones and probably not the last ones either. I believe Townshend used Pioneer as base for his products for a long time, so did trichord with their modified players in the nineties. I think even CJ use a pioneer dvd unit as their blueprint for a (heavily modified) multi-format player.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Although I am not entirely familiar with the recent issues at RA hey would'nt be the only ones and probably not the last ones either. I believe Townshend used Pioneer as base for his products for a long time, so did trichord with their modified players in the nineties. I think even CJ use a pioneer dvd unit as their blueprint for a (heavily modified) multi-format player.

Quite right. I have a lot of time for RA as they are innovative

ÿ

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Although I am not entirely familiar with the recent issues at RA hey would'nt be the only ones and probably not the last ones either. I believe Townshend used Pioneer as base for his products for a long time, so did trichord with their modified players in the nineties. I think even CJ use a pioneer dvd unit as their blueprint for a (heavily modified) multi-format player.

I have no doubt that pioneer make some decent components, but im sure the components RA were accused of using were exactly the same as used in low low end pioneer goodies.

A

Anonymous

I'll openly admit I really dislike Russ Andrews. I have my own reasons but his claims are grossly overexaggerated and most of what he sells is well overpriced. Having met the man himself I found him to be incredibly arrogant and would never buy anything he sells.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Breeder:I'll openly admit I really dislike Russ Andrews. I have my own reasons but his claims are largely overexaggerated and most of what he sells is well overpriced. Having met the man himself I found him to be incredibly arrogant and would never buy anything he sells.

Hmmm, that's a different story and I would abstain from buying his products too if I'd had that experience.

ÿ

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:a.g.:EvilWolf:''Reference''.

The most overused term in hi-fi, for sure!

surely you mean "audiophile" or "audiophile-grade".
reference has a legitimate place in 90% of the articles i read...

But how can I refer to equipment that I've never heard? Have you heard 90% of the "reference" products that you read about?

Audiophile is a bit contentious, but seeing as an audiophile is someone who likes quality hi-fi, if a particular item is designed to appeal to them then I think it could be legitimately called "audiophile grade".

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Surely, reference is the system the reviewers refer to...as a point of reference, without a marker wouldn't it be more difficult to judge?

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS