The WHF Film Club

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just a quick post to give you a brief idea of what I thought of TGFN.

I liked the film, but after watching 'It Follows', I could've done without the unexpected scare of the person running out of the cupboard with a knife. *smile*

I've not really thought this through very well, and I'd like to watch the film again to be able to back up what I'm about to say, but here goes anyway.

I think the whole film is Michel's dying moments, and that there is a battle between good and evil for his soul. Dora is actually the good, and she is the embodiment of Michel's wife, and has come to save him from the evil spirits, and lead him to her.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
The spam filter is blocking me again. Please can the What hifi management sort this software out, because I like so many other posters are fed up with your supposedly "intelligent" spam filter. Was it very cheap?

I used the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to get in touch with WHF. The spam filter kept blocking me and I must have used the report function ten times. I was ready to give up.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think the whole film is Michel's dying moments, and that there is a battle between good and evil for his soul. Dora is actually the good, and she is the embodiment of Michel's wife, and has come to save him from the evil spirits, and lead him to her.

That's an interesting idea BBB. Certainly near the end, when Michel waves Dora away, and waits for his murderer, the scene feels like a man who has made his peace with the world, and knows that his time has come, and he has just to wait for a few moments.

Could the scene with the ghost and the knife represent the moment when something fatal happens to Michel - maybe a heart attack or a stroke, because he is next seen on the floor, but with no wounds. Everything after that point in the film, could then be the battle to save his soul from the evil spirits.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

That's an interesting idea BBB. Certainly near the end, when Michel waves Dora away, and waits for his murderer, the scene feels like a man who has made his peace with the world, and knows that his time has come, and he has just to wait for a few moments.

Could the scene with the ghost and the knife represent the moment when something fatal happens to Michel - maybe a heart attack or a stroke, because he is next seen on the floor, but with no wounds. Everything after that point in the film, could then be the battle to save his soul from the evil spirits.

I'm not sure if you've ever seen 'Jacob's Ladder', but I was thinking it was a similar idea to that. I don't want to spoil 'Jacob's Ladder' for anyone who hasn't seen it, so I won't elaborate, plus I may actually choose JL as one of my films in the future if no-one has seen it, though I'm sure they have.

You might be right about the ghost with the knife, as we certainly see more activity after that point, but I'm sure I remember odd things happening before that point, so I'm really not sure.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ben, David & Richard

Anything to add on 'The Girl From Nowhere'?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Apologies - left my iPad at work last night, so wasn't able to reply to anything! I was lost...

...did watch Nightcrawler though - very good, but Enemy the night before was even better. Highly recomended!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I did just do a post about GFN but this wonderful forum has sent it elsewhere. I'll redo it tomorrow :)

i watch HEAVENS ABOVE (Peter Sellers) today good film and even though it's over 50 years old, the script could have been written yesterday. Some of it was quite topical.

Metropolis is on Film 4 tomorrow night and it's the most complete version with the recently found bits. I recommend this as the version to watch.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
Apologies - left my iPad at work last night, so wasn't able to reply to anything! I was lost...

...did watch Nightcrawler though - very good, but Enemy the night before was even better. Highly recomended!

Edit: Said something without reading your post properly, or thinking, so deleted it. *blush*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Have a think, and see if you can come up with 3 or 4 titles in the next week or so.

Thought of any, David?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thought of any, David?

Been away since Thursday evening, back tomorrow evening, so will sort something very soon. It may stand as is, but I may well change Her as there was an objection to it - I picked it because I found it interesting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
Good Vibrations is on at 10.30 on bbc2 tonight, superb film.

Set to record, thanks.

Should be required viewing for any film fan on a music forum!

Watched it tonight, and enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as my wife, who absolutely loved it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Re Girl From Nowhere.

I think mike & BBB have had very similar thoughts to me.

Although I can appreciate the content of the film, I'm not sure I liked it as much as I wanted to. I disliked the performance of the actor who played Michel. It seemed erratic and at times like it was a rehearsal / read through, in hindsight perhaps that was deliberate to show the erratic nature of someone who is close to death. A mixture of acceptance and unwillingness to let go. This might also be seen at the end where he waits fir his killer but pushes him away at the last minute.

I agree, after the appearance of the ghost and Michels collapse perhaps he was in a coma or some kind of locked in syndrome ? Why else would Dora come back apart from the fact the he wanted her to.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I'm going to work my way through that thread.

There's some good films in there. It's a shame that a lot of the people who contributed aren't on the forum anymore, as I think we could still do with another member of the film club.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thought of any, David?

Been away since Thursday evening, back tomorrow evening, so will sort something very soon. It may stand as is, but I may well change Her as there was an objection to it - I picked it because I found it interesting.

Could do with them asap please David?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts