The WHF Film Club

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm not sure if David didn't watch The Trial, or if he didn't feel like adding to the discussion of the film, maybe he could clarify?

I think it's time to remind all Film Club members (including myself), that the proposed film should be watched before the end of the month, and all members should watch the film.

It seems to me that some members are giving their opinion on the proposed film before all members have discussed it, and it seems in the case of The Trial, this has dissuaded David from watching the film.

I don't think it's fair to the proposer of the film for members to pick and choose which film they wish to watch, we should watch all of the proposed films.

So please, no discussion of the film before all members have watched it.

Let's all make a bit more effort to watch the film before the end of the month.

:)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm not sure if David didn't watch The Trial, or if he didn't feel like adding to the discussion of the film, maybe he could clarify?
No, but should have it early next week. Even though the negativity towards it put me off, I should know more than anyone else that a film should still be viewed despite other people's opinions of it!

It seems to me that some members are giving their opinion on the proposed film before all members have discussed it, and it seems in the case of The Trial, this has dissuaded David from watching the film.

I don't think it's fair to the proposer of the film for members to pick and choose which film they wish to watch, we should watch all of the proposed films.

So please, no discussion of the film before all members have watched it.
I was going to propose that. At least that way, we will all want to watch the film rather than be out off.

I have The Lives Of Others to watch tonight, and as I say, The Trial has been added to my LoveFilm list as the only high priority, so hopefully will get that early next week. Feel free to discuss it though if you wish as I'll ignore the posts in connection with it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
The Lives of Others

Who's left to watch it ?

I just need to watch the end again. I've made 2 attempts at watching the film, but keep nodding off before the end. :mad:

I'm going to watch the last 30 minutes again now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've now watched The Lives Of Others, and realised, despite nodding off last night, I hadn't missed more than a couple of minutes at the most.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I promised I'd get back to Head On strapped! Sorry for the long delay, but this is my first opportunity to be at a computer and not doing work in all that time.

Having had some time to reflect, I agree with the the majority of what you say (and I'm pleased to say was getting most of it whilst watching the film, although you're much better at expressing it than me). I think the main difference is just that the film didn't grab me in quite the way it did you (and many others) and I guess that just comes down to unpredictable personal preference. Broken Wings really did grab me, so I'd be interested to see if it does it for you or not.

strapped for cash said:
I wasn't thinking specifically about the scenes set in Istanbul, but about the film more generally and the characters' instincts for self-destruction, though both Cahit and Sibel ultimately become more responsible and less self-destructive, despite ending the film apart.

In an odd way it's a cathartic relationship with (in my view) subtle character arcs. If I've one criticism, at least with regard to plausibility, it's that Cahit's jail term seemed rather short.

Yes, I liked the nihilistic first half of the film, and in many ways would have been more happy with a film that remained there, as not only was there plenty of character arc there, I felt it was a lot subtler than what came in Istanbul. This is probably a reflection of how much time proportionally was spent in Germany.

The cathartic relationship is the very heart of the film in my view. I felt it was entirely convincing in the way their hardness was broken down by the other and they came to love each other. Clearly, I felt, they could not have grown into what they did (reformed alcoholic, caring mother) without that relationship as a basis

I recall he served somehwere in the region of five years for his offence. If it appeases you at all, that's not unrealistic! There were several potential reasons why (in this country) that would have been mansalughter not murder. As well as provocation, the main reason would be he probably didn't have an intention to kill or cause serious injury. A one blow manslaughter would probably lead to a sentence of 4-5 years here, so he'd have served substantially less here.

I grew up with a very multicultural set of friends and I can identify with many of the cultural issues depicted. Obviously the title refers to a collision of Turkish and Northern European cultures; and as such deals with the encounter of religious patriarchy and Western liberalism.

For me, the depiction was very frank and rang very true with my experiences as a white British male who became close friends with people from diverse cultural backgrounds. The clash of cultures described above is both geographical/cultural and generational. And I don't think the film takes a judgemental stance, but rather seeks to explore some of the resulting tensions by looking at the Turkish-German experience.

I felt there was a bit in the way of stereotypes: the violent brother, the card-playing, brothel-frequenting family friends in Istanbul. To be fair, though, the brother provided plot points for the female lead (not least the scene where she runs from him in the street) and the card players enabled the male lead to distinguish himself from them with his attitude of 'why don't you **** your own wives?' I suppose not every character action can have sufficient background for it to be legitimised.

I thought Sibel's final decision made complete sense. While she loved Cahit, Sibel prioritised her child's welfare over someone who had cleaned up his act, but wasn't the child's father, and had a history of instability and nihilistic behaviour.

I agree it did, it was the rational decision. My problem with it was that this was a very personal film, we got to know a small number of characters very well, even intimately. We understood why they made a variety of decisions earlier in the film, mostly bad ones. We hadn't then been shown what Sibel had gone through after her rape such that she personally came to that rational decision. We're left to make assumptions about the influences she has been affected by such that she is now making these more sensible / rational / culturally normal decisions.

In fact, I liked the film so much because the ending felt entirely right, to me. While a part of me wished they'd end the film together (I was invested in the characters enough to switch off the critical/analytical part of my brain, which doesn't happen often), I also felt that Sibel made the right decision, however difficult.

Again, I'm not sure we had enough information to know that it was the right decision for her. We'd never seen the husband. Whilst he clearly had money, maybe he had an unhealthy emotional hold over a formerly / currently vulnerable woman? I'd say there's still a degree of emotional investment there to conclude she has personally got a happy ending, even if it isn't the fairytale ending of the two leads getting together.

Perhaps the film's greatest achievement is the extent to which viewers empathised with characters from "other" cultural backgrounds (have a read of Amazon customer reviews).

In this regard the film cuts across cultural divisions and deals with universal human experiences, in a way that seeks to foster understanding, without resorting to platitudes or suggesting a problem-free multicultural/Diasporic experience. In other words, I think it's a more progressive text than first appears.

I agree with that.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just ordered As if ............. It's not on Amazon Prime, and although it's in the YouTube search, there's no watchable content.

If anybody wants to watch Mikes other film Viridiana. It's on YouTube. You need to log in first though.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I felt there was a bit in the way of stereotypes: the violent brother, the card-playing, brothel-frequenting family friends in Istanbul. To be fair, though, the brother provided plot points for the female lead (not least the scene where she runs from him in the street) and the card players enabled the male lead to distinguish himself from them with his attitude of 'why don't you **** your own wives?' I suppose not every character action can have sufficient background for it to be legitimised.

I get what you're saying, and perhaps writer-director Akin could've put a little more meat on certain characters' bones.

In some ways Sibel's father and brothers became ciphers for unshakable patriarchal attitudes, and perhaps had to be written this way to set up the film's themes of collision.

We might also consider how women from similar cultural backgrounds may experience the film. Might some find vicarious pleasures in Sibel's rebellion? I don't know the answer to this question, but it's worth noting that the film could be read as a progressive text from a feminist viewpoint, and even more so in culturally specific terms (i.e. among women who potentially identify with Sibel's desires and circumstances).

It's also worth pointing out that Akin is a German filmmaker of Turkish descent, and is writing about his own culture. It's good that such opportunities exist.

I don't know whether Akin's background and gender legitimise the film's representation of honour culture, or render it no less problematic. It's an interesting point of discussion. I'd at least seek to understand this aspect of representation in terms of medium specificity and narrative economy (obviously this is a film, which is different from, say, a novel, or a television series). I also wouldn't wish to downplay the points you raise.

BenLaw said:
I agree it did, it was the rational decision. My problem with it was that this was a very personal film, we got to know a small number of characters very well, even intimately. We understood why they made a variety of decisions earlier in the film, mostly bad ones. We hadn't then been shown what Sibel had gone through after her rape such that she personally came to that rational decision. We're left to make assumptions about the influences she has been affected by such that she is now making these more sensible / rational / culturally normal decisions.

I agree that there are (probably deliberate) ambiguities here, which open the film to multiple readings and the kind of discussion we're having. I think the film sets up these terms of debate well. I also think (although I can't state with authority) that Akin wants us to think about these issues after the film has finished.

The alternative would be to take a stance by providing an explicit statement on Sibel's decision; but since the issues the film addresses are hugely complex (and in my view couldn't be resolved in a satisfactory way), such a statement might have felt prosaic.

In other words, there are no easy answers, and in a way I'm glad that Akin doesn't offer any.

I'll be intrigued to find out what you make of Decasia. I'm not sure what to suggest. If you have any legal psychotropic substances, they might come in handy.

Oh, and I'll get round to watching Broken Wings some time soon and let you know what I think.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Decasia appears to be out of print: the UK DVD costs £199.90! Consequently it is not available on lovefilm. The US blu ray is region free and not too expensive and as it sounds interesting I may well buy it. Given the lack of proper testing I would strongly advise you against ingesting legal psychotropic drugs. Ironically, an illegal drug is much more likely to be a known quantity. Those days are behind me, occasionally regrettably with the right kind of film or music.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm approaching middle age, too!

The US BD is reasonably priced, and the quality's good as well (or at least as good as the original elements allow). The fact that these elements are in decay (and the images and people they represent therefore "mortal" or "transient") is obviously the point.

If you decide to go the import route, it's worth reading Andre Bazin's essay "The Ontology of the Photographic Image" for philosophical context. It's a short piece and can be downloaded here:

http://www2.newton.k12.ma.us/~David_Weintraub/FOV1-0005523F/FOV1-00055372/Bazin%20Ontology.pdf

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll be interested to hear what you think. Obviously it's formally experimental and doesn't have a narrative as such.

I'm not even sure that I enjoyed Decasia, though I found it conceptually and philosophically interesting, perhaps because it provided opportunities for discussion of film and ontology. That's why I posted the link to the Bazin article, which is outmoded, but offers useful framings for interpretation and discussion.

I completely understand if you'd rather just engage with the film on its own terms. If you fancy reading the article, however, it'd make sense to do so before watching Decasia.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So who's going to kick off the discussion of The Lives of Others? Was it JD's choice?

I've seen some brief very positive comments by a few people. I thought it was a very good film but have a few criticisms, so I'd rather keep my powder dry than start things off.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Richard has watched it, we're good to go on the discussion.

Fire away if you want, but it looks like we are the only two people posting on this thread tonight, and i am about to go and get some sleep - so any discussion that you start, could be one-sided tonight. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've seen it twice, I own the DVD, and I'm not about to sell it.

I'm not particularly great at deciphering meanings in films, and I'm really not sure all films have a deep, underlying meaning. For me, the most important factor in watching a film is whether or not I enjoyed watching it, and in the case of The Lives Of Others, I really enjoyed watching it.

I think Lives Of Others is a wonderful film, and I'm only guessing, but I think it portrays the reality of East Germany accurately, but also tells a very human story, which really draws you in.

I've seen quite a few German films over the last few years, and I think this was my favourite. Downfall, which was one of the three which JD nominated is also a really good watch, and I'd also recommend Das Experiment, The Counterfeiters, Goodbye Lenin, and The Edukators, all good, but all very different.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think Wiesler always was a good guy. He was doing his job for his country and it's citizens.

The seeds of doubt were sown by the students at the start, this was further built on at the theatre, when it became obvious that Hauser and the Minister were out for themselves and wanted to abuse the system for their own ends.

He becomes intrigued by the writers life, and I think he realises that these aren't b ad people and his superiors are using him as a tool.

Its obviously asocument of that time in East Germany, but also highlights that in any system the powerful will abuse the weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts