The WHF Film Club

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Returning briefly to The Trial, there is an interesting interview between Welles and Huw Wheldon at http://www.wellesnet.com/trial%20bbc%20interview.htm

Near the end Welles says " I had planned a completely different film that was based on the absence of sets. The production, as I had sketched it, comprised sets that gradually disappeared. The number of realistic elements were to become fewer and fewer and the public would become aware of it, to the point where the scene would be reduced to free space as if everything had dissolved. The gigantic nature of the sets I used is, in part, due to the fact that we used this vast abandoned railway station. It was an immense set."

It certainly sounds like Welles set out to produce a very stange film, far stranger than the one that we have discussed, and the only reason that there are all those atmospheric (confusing but recognisable) sets, is that he had to change the location for filming at the last minute.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I watched The Lives of Others last night. I enjoyed the film, and found it very difficult to forsee which way the storyline would twist and turn. I hope that you all enjoy it as much. :)

John Duncan

Sorry, have been really busy with a few things (including a new job role), but have watched The Lives of Others again so ready when you all are.

My vote for this month:

As If I Am Not There - 3pts
That Obscure Object Of Desire - 2pts
Viridiana - 1pt

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I know that for some of the votes, I have been the last to vote, and my vote has been meaningless, because there was already a clear winner.

Certainly with many of the votes, there has been one of the films which was the clear outsider, and only two films fighting it out to be first.

With my first set of films, two of the films scored equal points in first place, and I had to chose the winner. At least that situation will be avoided this time.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Just finishing watching The Lives of Others. Is that Richard, David and BBB to go? Has David been posting elsewhere?

I've seen it before, and I do own the dvd, so will watch it again very soon.

I'm pretty sure I saw David post a few days ago, but I can't be absolutely sure.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Apologies - I have posted here and there, but less so recently, and just jumping on and off the forum.

I don't suppose the points matter, but I feel like going for As If I Am Not There...

David, can you confirm that your first choice is "As if I am not there"? It's best to get confirmation, before the rest of us spend any money. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd just put "The Lives Of Others" in the BDP when I got distracted by the Blade Runner thread.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If anyone gets a chance, Fahrenheit 451 would make a handy companion piece to The Lives of Others. Too short notice to read it but the film is good, I'm going to try and find time to rewatch my copy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hooray! Is that your actual vote cos you have the casting vote?
Yup.

Also, did you have any thoughts on The Trial?
Sorry. Everyone was being so negative, it didn't really spur me to make the effort...

And have you watched The Lives of Others yet?
I haven't yet. Last month just flew by without me even realising it! I really want to see it though as I've been meaning to watch it for quite a while. I'll grab a copy within the next few days. There are a few product launches I'm attending over the next couple of weeks, but I'll definitely fit it in somewhere.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
BenLaw said:
Hooray! Is that your actual vote cos you have the casting vote?
Yup.

Also, did you have any thoughts on The Trial?
Sorry. Everyone was being so negative, it didn't really spur me to make the effort...

Did you not watch it? That's a shame. Mike didn't like it that much but had a lot of interesting stuff to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts