The WHF Film Club

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil said:
Well Peeps, I hope this isn't as exciting as it's going to get! :shifty:

CNO!!! ;)

:cheers:

I made a brief appearance at 7:59pm with a job application, but it seemed to get lost in the scramble of putting together the memorandum and articles of association. :(

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil said:
Well Peeps, I hope this isn't as exciting as it's going to get! :shifty:

CNO!!! ;)

:cheers:

I made a brief appearance at 7:59pm with a job application, but it seemed to get lost in the scramble of putting together the memorandum and articles of association. :(

Government affairs are to stay within the office... :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Elling 10 pts

Survive Style 8 pts

My Life 6 pts

Do I vote?

If not, it's down to Ben.

Interestingly BBB I've seen you recommend survive style and my life as a dog before and they are both on my lovefilm list. My vote is 3pts survive style, 2pts dog and 1pt elling. Which I believe means you cast the deciding vote between survive style and elling?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Elling 10 pts

Survive Style 8 pts

My Life 6 pts

Do I vote?

If not, it's down to Ben.

Interestingly BBB I've seen you recommend survive style and my life as a dog before and they are both on my lovefilm list. My vote is 3pts survive style, 2pts dog and 1pt elling. Which I believe means you cast the deciding vote between survive style and elling?

Well, I was thinking that Elling was going to win, so I've just watched it, but I'm not sure it's to everybody's taste, and it only made it into the final 3 at the last second.

So, my vote is for Survive Style 5+

I hope you all enjoy it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Arthouse cinema as spectator sport

Not to be pedantic, but I'm not sure any of the recommended films should be described as arthouse. I'd generally consider this a descriptor of non-narrative, formally experimental (avant-garde) cinema. That said, all taxonomies are problematic; and the terms "foreign language" and "arthouse" overlap to some degree.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Are you happy with the choice Strapped?

Had you seen any of the 3?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I haven't seen any of the films, so I honestly can't express opinion. I'd have to watch them to find out what I think.

I suspect people will be more perturbed by my suggestions, two of which I've decided on. (Though that's several months away.) My taste in films is pretty odd by most standards.

I also suspect the film I'd like people to choose from my suggestions (if only because I think it would make for the most interesting discussion) is the one members will feel least inclined to watch, at least based on online summaries and reviews.

In any case, my post above wasn't a comment on your choice of films, which fit film club requirements perfectly!
smiley-smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, what is the end date for watching the film? If it's end of October I may put off getting it for a bit. If it's a month's time then I'll get it next.

Theead title definitely needs changing now ;) I think you should be able to edit BBB.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I haven't seen any of the films, so I honestly can't express opinion. I'd have to watch them to find out what I think.

I suspect people will be more perturbed by my suggestions, two of which I've decided on. (Though that's several months away.) My taste in films is pretty odd by most standards.

I also suspect the film I'd like people to choose from my suggestions (if only because I think it would make for the most interesting discussion) is the one members will feel least inclined to watch, at least based on online summaries and reviews.

In any case, my post above wasn't a comment on your choice of films, which fit film club requirements perfectly!
smiley-smile.gif

I'm intrigued.

Whilst I don't think it's appropriate for the proposer to vote, I think it would be positive if the proposer wants to give some background to their choices and advocate a particular one if they want to.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'm intrigued.

Whilst I don't think it's appropriate for the proposer to vote, I think it would be positive if the proposer wants to give some background to their choices and advocate a particular one if they want to.

Reading my post back, it sounds like I'm going to recommend something horrific and psychologically scarring. (That's not the case at all.)

For one film in particular, I'd provide a link to a PDF copy of an essay to frame discussion. Anyway, we should really be considering our choice from BBB's list. My suggestions are several months off at the very least.

Since I don't subscribe to LoveFilm, I'll scout around for a relatively cheap DVD copy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was a little concerned before making my suggestions that some members, well particularly you, would have seen the films before. I think the film which will make the the greatest impression, and probably divide opinion the most, has been chosen. That's all I'll say.

I'm looking forward to your choices, I can assure you, I've watched some pretty weird films, so I don't think your choice will phase me too much, and my wife loves a crazy movie, so I can't wait.

I'll probably be a little braver with my choices next time, though I'll probably stick with the different styles of film, and different country of origin formula.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
I'm intrigued.

Reading my post back, it sounds like I'm going to recommend something horrific and psychologically scarring. (That's not the case at all.)

That's a shame, because I'm seriously considering something like that next time.
rofl.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
I have no problem with psychologically scarring. The most disturbing thing I've seen recently is Snowtown, it deals superbly with the inexplicable.

I like the heading of one of the reviews on Amazon. "Not a date movie".

Sounds interesting.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Having watched this thread set up the labyrinthine rules of the Film Club, elect voting and non-voting members both at cabinet level and ex-officio, and so on (subject to sub-clause 13 (as amended) of rule 13 paragraph 7), you should probably put this on your list – though you may not see the joke :rofl:

Untitled.png

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
I have no problem with psychologically scarring. The most disturbing thing I've seen recently is Snowtown, it deals superbly with the inexplicable.

Sounds interesting.

I could be tempted into putting that on my list of three, it's one of the relatively few blu rays I've bought in the last year.

Did you come up with a date by which your selection has to be watched?

John Duncan

spiny norman said:
Having watched this thread set up the labyrinthine rules of the Film Club, elect voting and non-voting members both at cabinet level and ex-officio, and so on (subject to sub-clause 13 (as amended) of rule 13 paragraph 7), you should probably put this on your list – though you may not see the joke :rofl:

Untitled.png

Oh come on, it wasn't labyrinthine at all. Six people said they wanted to do it, I suggested some rules, we changed one because my first idea was stupid, we voted.

However, I might put this on my list...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:

Sounds interesting.

I could be tempted into putting that on my list of three, it's one of the relatively few blu rays I've bought in the last year.

Did you come up with a date by which your selection has to be watched?

By the 15th of October I suppose, but the sooner the better, then we can move on to the next set of movies.

I'm watching it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts