The WHF Film Club

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If others would like to, then why not. personally, I'd rather just watch the films and discuss in my limited way.

The reading would of course be optional, though I'm getting a sense that people would prefer not to do this.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the rules:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote: John Duncan wrote:
1) Take turns to nominate three films, by number above.

OK

2) Members vote on preferred film in a 1,2,3 order. Film 1 gets 3 points, film 2 gets 2 points, film three gets one point.

OK

3) Film with most points is the film to be watched.

OK

4) You have two weeks to watch (TBD).

I think the rest of the month, as you have to purchase,wait for, and find time to watch the film. OK

5) No discussion until everybody has seen it.

Ok, but allow for occasions, where a member may say that they are interested in a film, because they have heard that it has received a wide range of reviews (ie some pro/some con). Of course the member could not say what the reviews were.

6) Discussion can start after everyone has seen it and does not have to wait two weeks - eg if everybody watches it on day one, we don't have to wait

OK

7) You can discuss as long as you want, but new film nomination starts immediately - ie no moratorium on previous fims, but move on to selection of next film immediately.

I think wait until the next month, because when everyone has seen a film, and discussed it, they may want to view the film again, to see if their original views need revising (now that they have heard the points raised during the discussion).

Thoughts?

Regarding supplementary reading - it may prove useful for some films where there is an interest in background reading about elements shown in the film, or whether the film was typical of the Directors previous work, or etc. I agree that the format of the background reading should be available in a format that is accessible by all the members (eg pdf, html, etc).

John Duncan

strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
It's an open forum so anyone can join in with suggestions and comments on the films. The six thing is more just to make the selection process manageable, as I see it.

I agree. We couldn't close off discussion, even if we wanted to. Maybe the six should be regarded as a film selection panel rather than members.

If it becomes popular, we can rotate the selection panel month on month.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Could you clarify your votes for the hard of thinking?

I'm really not sure who's winning.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you need an ombudsman to referee disputes, I'll apply for that job......provided I can sit on some Black Ravioli, and bang my Shillelagh when order is called for.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

So

Elling 6 pts

My Life As A Dog 3 pts

SurviveStyle 5+ 3 pts

With John's vote to be clarified, and Ben and Strapped's still to come.

Thanks

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Elling 9 pts

Survive Style 5 pts

My Life As A Dog 4 pts

I think
smile.png

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
One, three, two, for me...

Is that points, or in that order?

So Survive 3 pts, My Life 2 pts, Elling 1 pt?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Elling 10 pts

Survive Style 8 pts

My Life 6 pts

Do I vote?

If not, it's down to Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts