The WHF Film Club

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
I've seen **** loads of foreign films. Can I join?

You didn't read the terms of the application process did you John?

As these terms weren't followed, I'm not sure we can accept your application, but, what might just swing it in your favour, is the eloquent nature of your application.

OK. Application accepted.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
Oh, and do invite Ms Newsome, she has a projector and eclectic taste and I will go round her house. She also has wine, a propos of nothing.

Ms Newsome will have to get here skates on and apply, there's only one place left.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Members List (so far)

Me

BenLaw

Strapped For Cash

Hi-FiOutlaw

John Duncan

There is only one place left up for grabs, though if you do miss out on full membership, sub-membership will be available.

Sub-members will be allowed to watch, and comment on the movies chosen by the full members, but they will not be able to vote for, or propose the movie of the month. However, should a full member fail more than once to watch the movie of the month, his/her membership will be cancelled, and a sub-member will be invited to become a full member.

grin.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Members List (so far)

Me

BenLaw

Strapped For Cash

Hi-FiOutlaw

John Duncan

There is only one place left up for grabs, though if you do miss out on full membership, sub-membership will be available.

Sub-members will be allowed to watch, and comment on the movies chosen by the full members, but they will not be able to vote for, or propose the movie of the month.

Also, any comments they may make will be ignored.

However, should a full member fail more than once to watch the movie of the month, his/her membership will be cancelled, and a sub-member will be invited to become a full member.

grin.gif

I don't remember voting for this rule boss, where's my democracy gone?!

If it's monthly (which seems sensible) then that's probably fair enough. Although it should probably be a bit like your VAT bill, forget about missing it once after a certain time elapses.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Members List (so far)

Me

BenLaw

Strapped For Cash

Hi-FiOutlaw

John Duncan

Sub-members will be allowed to watch, and comment on the movies chosen by the full members, but they will not be able to vote for, or propose the movie of the month.

However, should a full member fail more than once to watch the movie of the month, his/her membership will be cancelled, and a sub-member will be invited to become a full member.

grin.gif

If it's monthly (which seems sensible) then that's probably fair enough. Although it should probably be a bit like your VAT bill, forget about missing it once after a certain time elapses.

Just a proposal Ben, we'll vote soon.
smile.png

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There is only one place left up for grabs

The thread title is now inaccurate.

Not really, there are still places for sub-members.

Read the rules Ben, read the rules.
wink.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Members List (so far)

Me

BenLaw

Strapped For Cash

Hi-FiOutlaw

John Duncan

grin.gif

Just for the truth of things and keep the members box organised:

1-) BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

2-) BenLaw

3-) HiFiOutlaw

4-) John Duncan

5-) Strapped For Cash

There, clean and tidy... :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BBB,

When you say "arthouse and world cinema" are you thinking only of films available in the English language?

No. I think we'll get quite a few foreign language films proposed, personally, most of the films I enjoy are foreign language, but it's not exclusively so.

I think a lot of members of this forum watch arthouse, world cinema, and under the radar films, but there wasn't a thread where we could really recommend films to each other, and talk about what we liked.

I'm actually not over knowledgeable on these kind of movies, so I'm looking at it as an educational exercise, as well as a way of enjoying myself.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
If that is the ethos of the group, then perhaps I could add some value. However I will explain my starting position, to allow any of the existing 5 members to object if needed.

I too would be looking at the club as an educational exercise - I haven't watched many films all the way through in recent months (the last time I went to the cinema, was to watch Django Unchained - but that is not the type of film the club is interested in). There are several reasons including the fact that living near Toulouse, my mind is elsewhere on the long Summer evenings, plus most of the films available on free TV (or at the cinema) are in French, and to date watching a whole film in French, taxes my mind too much during those Summer evenings.

However I know that I have to improve my grasp of spoken French, so I would be interested to make the effort during the coming months to watch more films in their entirety (although if the film is in english, that would be a bonus). Also some french films can have complex plots, so the opportunity to discuss them with the group, could help my understanding.

My concerns are that I do not have a list of films to recommend on day 1, and that some of the french films that I recommend, may turn out not to be available through online distributors, and that this may be an issue for other club members.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Sounds reasonable to me. I've done a few trawls though French films on lovefilm over the last few months and there's pretty good availability, certainly of the better known directors. I guess one of the advantages of BBB's suggestion that three films be put forward is that one can be selected not only on preference but also on availability. I wouldn't worry about not having any to put forward at the moment (I go to a book club and almost never suggest the next book), as long as someone does then everyone gets to watch something.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I agree with Ben, welcome to the club. We now have our 6 members, now it's time to make the rules.

John Duncan

The first thing I would like to know - having seen how my wife's book club works - is whose house we are going to go round to get drunk and forget about talking about the films, since none of us will have watched it?

John Duncan

1) Take turns to nominate three films, by number above.

2) Members vote on preferred film in a 1,2,3 order. Film 1 gets 3 points, film 2 gets 2 points, film three gets one point.

3) Film with most pooints is the film to be watched.

4) You have two weeks to watch (TBD).

5) No discussion until everybody has seen it.

6) Discussion can start after everyone has seen it and does not have to wait two weeks - eg if everybody watches it on day one, we don't have to wait

7) You can discuss as long as you want, but new film nomination starts immediately - ie no moratorium on previous fims, but move on to selection of next film immediately.

Thoughts?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've made proposals for some of the rules, feel free to object, agree, change, and add new rules, and when we're all agreed and happy to proceed, we'll start to watch films at the beginning of next month.

1. One member proposes 3 films at the beginning of each month, the other members choose one of those three films to view during that month. The film with the most votes is the film which will be viewed by all members. If 2 or more films get equal votes, the proposer gets the casting vote, as long as the proposed film is available to all members.

2. There are 6 full members, but sub-members are free to watch the films, give opinions on the films watched, and recommend films, though only full members will be able to propose films. The recommendations will be there to aid full members only.

Can't really think of anything else, other than the promotion and relegation of members/sub-members. I think this should be down to all the full members if they feel that a member is not actively playing there part, and a sub-member would be a better full member, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

chebby said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I agree with Ben, welcome to the club. We now have our 6 members, now it's time to make the rules.

The first rule of Film Club is: You DO NOT talk about Film Club.

I wondered how long it would be before somebody said it.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS