The WHF Film Club

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
1) Take turns to nominate three films, by number above.

OK

2) Members vote on preferred film in a 1,2,3 order. Film 1 gets 3 points, film 2 gets 2 points, film three gets one point.

That could work.

3) Film with most pooints is the film to be watched.

As above.

4) You have two weeks to watch (TBD).

I think the rest of the month, as you have to purchase,wait for, and find time to watch the film.

5) No discussion until everybody has seen it.

Agreed

6) Discussion can start after everyone has seen it and does not have to wait two weeks - eg if everybody watches it on day one, we don't have to wait

Agreed

7) You can discuss as long as you want, but new film nomination starts immediately - ie no moratorium on previous fims, but move on to selection of next film immediately.

I think wait until the next month, but I'd be prepared to change if we were all waiting about for weeks having viewed the film.

Thoughts?

John Duncan

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
John Duncan said:
As soon as I posted two weeks, I realised that wouldn't be enough time. These might not always be the easiest films to source, so your suggestion of a month is better.

I think we've got ourselves some nice roules! You've my vote!

Do you mean roubles? Are we getting *paid* for this? If so, may I suggest the US Dollar as a more stable currency please.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
John Duncan said:
As soon as I posted two weeks, I realised that wouldn't be enough time. These might not always be the easiest films to source, so your suggestion of a month is better.

I think we've got ourselves some nice roules! You've my vote!

Do you mean roubles? Are we getting *paid* for this? If so, may I suggest the US Dollar as a more stable currency please.

:rofl:

Rules! :grin:

and how about the red wine i've read...?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
John Duncan said:

OK

2) Members vote on preferred film in a 1,2,3 order. Film 1 gets 3 points, film 2 gets 2 points, film three gets one point.

That could work.

As above.

I think the rest of the month, as you have to purchase,wait for, and find time to watch the film.

Agreed

6) Discussion can start after everyone has seen it and does not have to wait two weeks - eg if everybody watches it on day one, we don't have to wait

Agreed

7) You can discuss as long as you want, but new film nomination starts immediately - ie no moratorium on previous fims, but move on to selection of next film immediately.

I think wait until the next month, but I'd be prepared to change if we were all waiting about for weeks having viewed the film.

Thoughts?

All seems sensible to me, including the month rather than two weeks. For (7), I'd say a new film can be suggested as soon as everyone's watched the last film and had some time for discussion. That'll probably mostly be the full month anyway I'd guess.

From your comment about non-members making suggestions I think this is built in, but it seems sensible to allow for some discussion time before the a proposal of three films is made.

As for wine, perhaps the proposer could also suggest an appropriate accompanying tipple?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
John Duncan said:

OK

That could work.

As above.

Agreed

Agreed

Thoughts?

All seems sensible to me, including the month rather than two weeks. For (7), I'd say a new film can be suggested as soon as everyone's watched the last film and had some time for discussion. That'll probably mostly be the full month anyway I'd guess.

From your comment about non-members making suggestions I think this is built in, but it seems sensible to allow for some discussion time before the a proposal of three films is made.

As for wine, perhaps the proposer could also suggest an appropriate accompanying tipple?

an assortment of cheeses... :roll:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm quite keen to start, but I think we should wait for feedback from the other members on the rules.

I'm also feeling the pressure of being first up, I've had a little look at my dvds, and it's going to be hard to get it down to just 3, and I'd really hate to suggest films that you've all seen.

Anyway, let's wait for Strapped and Expat to reply about the rules, then I'll get to seriously thinking about the 3 titles.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Not really, there are still places for sub-members.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

Yes, I didn't get round to saying that but I agree. It sounds like it's heading down the line of the Stanford experiment! It's an open forum so anyone can join in with suggestions and comments on the films. The six thing is more just to make the selection process manageable, as I see it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I couldn't think of another way of wording it at the time, but what I meant was all contributors that are not us.

I can see I'm ploughing a minefield here with Strapped.
grin.gif

Ummmm. I agree with Strapped and Ben.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

rofl.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Anyway, let's wait for Strapped and Expat to reply about the rules, then I'll get to seriously thinking about the 3 titles.

All fine. (Apart from the sub-members clause.)

Would members be interested in supplementary reading on issues of film history and film style that might inform group discussion. (All reading must be downloadable in PDF form or available via Google Books.) Things shouldn't get too heavy. I'm thinking one book chapter or journal article per-month.

People might not fancy that at all, but I think it would be helpful to contextualise the films.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

+1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

All fine. (Apart from the sub-members clause.)

Would members be interested in supplementary reading on issues of film history and film style that might inform group discussion. (All reading must be downloadable in PDF form or available via Google Books.) Things shouldn't get too heavy. I'm thinking one book chapter or journal article per-month.

People might not fancy that at all, but I think it would be helpful to contextualise the films.

If others would like to, then why not. personally, I'd rather just watch the films and discuss in my limited way.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Well if we're watching a French film it should allow a wide choice of both cheese and wine.

Of course.

Seriously though, I am getting the impression that the plan is to meet in each others homes for each months discussion. It will be difficult for me to travel to the uk for meetings, but I can attend virtually through skype or maybe facetime.

Even so, next summer, maybe if there was interest, we could hold a meeting in Toulouse, where copious quantities of wine, cheese and confit de canard could easily be arranged.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

So, we all seem to be onboard, we're all aware of the rules, should I make my 3 title selection?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
It's an open forum so anyone can join in with suggestions and comments on the films. The six thing is more just to make the selection process manageable, as I see it.

I agree. We couldn't close off discussion, even if we wanted to. Maybe the six should be regarded as a film selection panel rather than members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts