The WHF Film Club

Page 104 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've not seen the tally for the film's so far, so I have no idea which way my votes will take things.

I've seen Calvary - highly recommended, and I also recommend another film by him, The Guard. So this gets 1pt

I've also seen Blue Is The Warmest Colour. I am due to give this a second viewing anyway, so this I'll give 2pts. Another recommended watch. I can imagine it being controversial, but they were good performances, and I believe one of the two girls has been chosen to star in the next Bond movie.

I couldn't decide between the two I haven't seen, and I didn't really want to read the synopsis to choose, as I like to watch a film without knowing what to expect. So based on the user ratings (not critics) on IMDB, I'm going to give 3pts to The Girl From Nowhere, and 4pts to Young And Beautiful.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So by my calculation that makes it Young and Beautiful 8 points, Calvary 10 points and Blue is the Warmest Colour and Girl from Nowhere tied on 11 points. So Mike has to choose between those two!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Yet again I get a tied result for my nominations.

I choose Girl from Nowhere, for two reasons:

1 - none of us have seen the film before

2 - It was the second choice for three of you

It was interesting that two of you gave Calvary top marks, and the other two said it was excellent, but had already seen it. I am tempted to put it on my watch over Christmas list.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some have, some haven't. I'm afraid I'm in the haven't seen it yet camp, though I have seen some of it. I'm working particularly hard at the moment, and I'm struggling to find the time (when I'm not sleepy) to watch it. I'll try again this weekend.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Some have, some haven't. I'm afraid I'm in the haven't seen it yet camp, though I have seen some of it. I'm working particularly hard at the moment, and I'm struggling to find the time (when I'm not sleepy) to watch it. I'll try again this weekend.

I'm going to have to rewatch it, there's so much in it and I didn't write anything down. Also only got part way through Metropolis, which seems like an important companion piece.

Maybe be we should do La Antena by the end of December and Mike's film by the end of Jan?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Metropolis was going to be in my next lot of films.

Id recommend it to all, especially the most recent/complete version. A longer cut of the film was found and the missing scenes inserted, the quality of the scenes are pretty dire but add to the film. It's a long film though.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'm going to have to rewatch it, there's so much in it and I didn't write anything down. Also only got part way through Metropolis, which seems like an important companion piece.

Or intertext, since La antena owes Metropolis a clear stylistic (and somewhat thematic) debt, but was made eight decades later.

It'd be worth comparing the two films' endings.

To what extent is La antena an example of "third cinema?" How might Metropolis betray any radical or subversive message? (As an émigré and divorcee, Lang made his thoughts clear on the latter.)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Lower rating than LQV on IMDB but that's probably because it's about sheep rather than goats.

It's more complex than that, Ben.

If we consult Rotten Tomatoes, the sheep edge it by four percent. Both seem highly popular once hi-fi enthusiast opinions are discounted.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

Or intertext, since La antena owes Metropolis a clear stylistic (and somewhat thematic) debt, but was made eight decades later.

It'd be worth comparing the two films' endings.

To what extent is La antena an example of "third cinema?" How might Metropolis betray any radical or subversive message? (As an émigré and divorcee, Lang made his thoughts clear on the latter.)

It took me 3 sessions to watch La Antene in its entirity - it just didn't grab my attention. I did think part way through, that there were some elements of the film that would have scared me when I was young - I was a member of the generation of children, who used to run and hide, when the Cybermen came on the TV.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Maybe we should do La Antena by the end of December and Mike's film by the end of Jan?

A good idea I think, I'm really struggling to find the time to watch anything at the moment.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think I might struggle with the discussion by the end of December, as it'll be 6 weeks since I watched it. Although, I enjoyed it I won't re watch as it means renting again.

But, i made a couple of notes.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thought I'd give the thread a gentle kick (since it's been inactive of late) by asking a question.

What films would you like to see on BD that are yet to receive an official release?

I just watched The Long Goodbye, which I hadn't seen in years, which set me thinking of how few Altman films have received BD releases, especially Region 2.

I'd love to see Region 2 releases of 3 Women and McCabe and Mrs Miller. I could import the former if I had a region free BD player (****** Criterion region locking).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
What films would you like to see on BD that are yet to receive an official release?

Sopyonje.

A Month in the Country.

Akenfield.

Cold Comfort Farm.

Gone To Earth / I Know Where I'm Going / AMOLAD. (I have Colonel Blimp and 'The Edge of The World' on Blu-ray. I will have to wait for the others.)

(I bought two DVDs of both A Month in the Country and Akenfield in case they stopped making either or one of mine got damaged.)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Metropolis was going to be in my next lot of films.

Id recommend it to all, especially the most recent/complete version. A longer cut of the film was found and the missing scenes inserted, the quality of the scenes are pretty dire but add to the film. It's a long film though.

My copies of The Girl from Nowhere and Metropolis have arrived today. Hopefully I will get time to watch both of these during the holidays.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
strapped for cash said:

Sopyonje.

Gone To Earth / I Know Where I'm Going / AMOLAD. (I have Colonel Blimp and 'The Edge of The World' on Blu-ray. I will have to wait for the others.)

I forgot that you're a big P&P fan. Zero complaints there!

As for Sopyonje, I know only of the film in passing. Unfortunately South Korean cinema is a genuine blind spot for me (which means I've spent little time watching South Korean films, or working through literature on East Asian cinema).

chebby said:
(I bought two DVDs of both A Month in the Country and Akenfield in case they stopped making either or one of mine got damaged.)

That's entirely possible. We're constantly losing lesser known gems, while a vast number of early films are sadly lost forever.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Without any greater thought than looking at my amazon wish list:

Spring, summer, winter, autumn (etc)

Der Golem

Timecrimes

Bigger than Life

La Antena

Waste Land

Assault on Precinct 13

Slacker

Fail Safe

Broken Wings

Dog Day Afternoon

The Wall

Videodrome

Tremors (a decent version)

Running Man (a decent version)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Merry Christmas and season's greetings to all film club members and lurkers
regular_smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

Likewise Ben, and Merry Christmas to all film club members past and present!

I meant to ask, since I made reference above to early films forever lost, did you find time to watch Decasia?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but I reiterate Ben's sentiments. I hope that your holidays haven't been spoiled travel-wise, by the snow.

A bit off topic, but congratulations to BBB on an absolutely stonking week with his Fantasy Football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts