The What Hi fi Team need cotton buds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After reading the Awards issue I truly cannot believe some of the awards handed out, the Maranz cd6002 as best CD player under £300.00? I think the buying public and Cambridge Audio may have some thing to say about that, it's a good player but not an award winner. The Rotel RA04 award winning amp under £300?, it is good safe bet, a bit under stated, but really the all singing all dancing amp under £300? No way and I am pretty sure the sales figures reflect that too. It must be either you guys trying to be make your awards deliberately differ from the other HI Mags, or you guys need to book in for an immediate hearing test. In the interim I am going to post you some cotton buds before you complete the next issue. ;o) Thanks for a good read even if I can't get my head around your award choices, Kevin

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your opinions, Kevin.

Interestingly on both the CD and amp front, all the other manufacturers - Cambridge Audio included, as you mention - are already working on new versions of their existing kit, which indicates they know they could do better...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mint hippo"] I truly cannot believe some of the awards handed out, the Maranz cd6002 as best
CD player under £300.00? [/quote]

Have you heard it??? I thought the marantz is a very good product (hence the prediction on the other thread) As the sound quality at this level also depend on your music tatse. The 6002 sound smooth and refine without being boring which is rare at this price point all imo (never a humble one though)!

A

Anonymous

I agree with you that that it is a good player, and one that should be on your short list , but your right musically it is not an all rounder which is something I think an award winner should be. I still think the Cambridge Audio 540 trounces it even though it is a bit long in the tooth, however the great thing about hifi is what you like is the right thing to buy.
Good to see Marantz back in the buget 2 channel hifi market though, I recall the CD63se which was absolutely stunning in it's day.

A

Anonymous

I love the mag and been reading it for more years than I care to remember, obviously reviews are an opinion, and some times i agree and sometimes I do not, but on the whole you do get it right,

But with this years awards I just seem to disagree with most of them. The Roksan Kandy for instance, my friend brought this recently along with the matching CD player and a pair of floor standing quad speakers, I have several Amps and CD players, and speakers I have aqquired over the years, however my current system is a Cambridge Audio 840a/840c and monitor audio gs10, on dedicated stands.

We did a listening test swaping over speakers, amps etc,, and even he admitted that the Cambridge amp sounded more powerful, cleaner and more organic than the Kandy, we preferred the 840c too, however were divided about the speakers, he preferred the Cambridge units through his Quads, and I preffered the Monitor audio.

We agreed that the Cambridge audio Monitor audio sounded bigger with more base weight, which was surprising considering the GS10's and only stand mounts.

One thing he did say was that he would never spend that much money on anything from Cambridge audio as it was beefed up budget fodder, plus the Kandy would have more retail value when it came to trading it in. But he did agree it sounded better.

T

the record spot

Having trouble hearing the hifi at S&V Towers? Bring out the Cerwin Vegas again I say!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts