HI-FI We need to spead the word

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Last week My sister called me she just got a new hi-fi system for her new house she asked could i call over to set it up.... She purchased a new panasonic all in one system i wont go in to model detail as im not trying to bad mouth panasonic thats not the point im trying to make...she paid £300 for it budget but not cheap as chips...After setting it up i was amazed how bad it sounded i have a budget nad system and am new to hi-fi really... the bass was the worst feature with its 3d bass super bass you know the sort of thing i could not turn off this bad uncontrolled bass as for the timing it was like a watch from your local poud shop and stereo imaging forget it.....o.k it cost £300 pounds what was i expecting but we all know for under £500 you could get a budget set up maybe the cambridge audio system from richer sounds fir £500 . The point im trying to make is in the rush for smaller systems have the big players from japan made hi-fi sound this bad..she got a panasonic because like most people they think theese big brands must be good right and most people dont know how good real hi-fi can sound all who have heard my system are amazed and a few mates have gone out to buy a proper system after listening to it....it seems like in this day and age of cheap throw away products hi-fi is a secret only little few are aware of........What do you guys think...................... P.s we returned the system and called richer sounds my sister is amazed and really happy it cost more cash sure but like most people she will probable keep it for maybe 5 years so thats a bargain right...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, a few of my friends seem to buy mediocre products as well. I tell them that if they'd asked me, I'd have happily researched the best products they could have got for their money, taken them auditioning to proper dealers etc. etc. cos I'm sad like that. They just don't seem to be that bothered though. It angers me sometimes as I know I could have got so much better for the money, but then I remember it's their money and if they're happy, why should I care!

Edit: In your case, obviously your sister was much happier, so good work on that one! If only my friends appreciated me like that... sits dreamily staring into space

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"] but then I remember it's their money and if they're happy, why should I care![/quote]

They are enjoying their music unconditionally. Perhaps you can learn something from that too.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Maybe they are but my point was £300 is to much for this quality of sound in my case my sister spent more in the end but in her own words..........she is playing her cds much more the point anything that encourages us to listen more often cant be bad.........and anyhting thats boosts sales can only secure and inprive the hi-fi world......in conclusion if manufactors sold more of the qualit products they would be able to make and sell for less so we all benefit

A

Anonymous

[quote user="northantsbloke34"]
she will probable keep it for maybe 5 years so thats a bargain right...

Only 5 years??. I have had my system since early 90's!.
[/quote]

Still have the Pioneer hi-fi somewhere - it was the early 90s one (about '91) with turntable, tuner, graphic eq, amp, tape deck and two disc cd player and 3 way speakers. Was quite a beast in its day for a "buy it in one" system.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="northantsbloke34"]
she will probable keep it for maybe 5 years so thats a bargain right...

Only 5 years??. I have had my system since early 90's!.

[/quote] Still have the Pioneer hi-fi somewhere - it was the early 90s one (about '91) with turntable, tuner, graphic eq, amp, tape deck and two disc cd player and 3 way speakers. Was quite a beast in its day for a "buy it in one" system.[/quote]

Mines a technics an amp and cd player. Class AA, top of the range back then! lol. Maybe time for an upgrade but just bought px70 42" so that will have to wait for a while

A

Anonymous

Ah, the Technics - that was a proper rival for the Pioneer but perhaps a little better on quality! Did yours ever overheat at all? That's what put me off the Technics.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
You missing the point guys i said 5 years as an example not a fact she may well keep it longer the point im making is the cost and the future of hi-fi

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]
Well, a few of my friends seem to buy mediocre products as well. I tell them that if they'd asked me, I'd have happily researched the best products they could have got for their money, taken them auditioning to proper dealers etc. etc. cos I'm sad like that. They just don't seem to be that bothered though. It angers me sometimes as I know I could have got so much better for the money, but then I remember it's their money and if they're happy, why should I care!

Edit: In your case, obviously your sister was much happier, so good work on that one! If only my friends appreciated me like that... sits dreamily staring into space
[/quote]

And going shopping for hi-fi should really be an exercise in sitting down and listening to music, which is of itself fun!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would'nt be on this forum talking to you if I did'nt agree rob but I know people that can't listen to music anymore.

It's very easy to get carried away (obsessed even) with the technical aspects of what in the end should only have one purpose. To make listening to music fun and enjoyable. More often than not folks go 'through the mill' for years, spending THOUSANDS on constantly changing gear, never happy with what they have. Problem is mate, there is always something 'better' out there. There's nothing wrong with a bit of ambition and a love of well made, cool looking, great sounding kit but I admire people that like their music even when played on a twenty quid boom box.

Now stop arguing with me because I'm ALWAYS right.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="professorhat"] but then I remember it's their money and if they're happy, why should I care![/quote]

They are enjoying their music unconditionally. Perhaps you can learn something from that too.
[/quote]
Perhaps - there was a post a couple of days ago questioning how anybody could ever spend 1000 quid on an interconnect - well I couldn't, but if I had a few tens of millions in the bank then you never know *. What I didn't go on to add was the other end of the spectrum where in the much of the world even our budget systems would be extreme decadence, and people still enjoy music, without condition, and without missing what we consider essential. It's just a matter of degree. When we question other peoples extravagance or otherwise we should always take a little look at ourselves first.

Regardless when you think that a decent hi-fi shop could probably sell you a simple little one box thing from Denon or Onkyo that would actually sound good and wouldn't cost any more than the {insert-mainstream-consumer-brand-here} box of mostly air, I still think that people that buy these midi-systems should really be educated for their own good and that of their friends :)

* actually I do know, and I still wouldn't.

A

Anonymous

Now stop arguing with me because I'm ALWAYS right.
[/quote]
Hah! But I'm ALWAYS wrong! So there!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[/quote]

Yeah, but I don't enjoy it when I go round to theirs and listen!

Ultimately, I'm being selfish
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

Good job that man, perhaps we could all help a little bit by spreading the Hifi word.

I can see Drummerman handing out free copies of What Hifi with an A board in Oxford street lol!

A

Anonymous

I have managed to persuade a couple of friends down the hi fi route after being persuaded myself by another friend. I now cant believe i once had a kenwood mini system. Part of the problem is cost and that some people just don't believe there is much difference. Same with tv's.I did not think there was much difference between tv's until i saw my philips pixel plus a few years ago. What can you do though? in some respects i like that not everyone appreciates hi fi.Kind of makes me feelslightly superior, like knowing something really big and important that noone else does, and i like seeing the look on peoples faces when they hear mine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts