The use of subwoofers with music

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I oftenly hear on here how people go on about certain CD players lack bass & so on, i was wandering does any of you use your subwoofers for stereo playback?

I do, as ive got mine also connected direct to my front speakers using the supplied nuetrix cable, so the sub bass is therefore boosting the exact same signal as the main speakers & it sounds absolutley superb, i couldnt not use subs for stereo now.

I dont think ive come across a CD player that does belt out the bass the way a sub can bring the improvement.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I have mine connected the same as you, and as much as I like my Ruarks, they sound positively bass-shy without the sub doing it's magic...

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
margetti:I have mine connected the same as you, and as much as I like my Ruarks, they sound positively bass-shy without the sub doing it's magic...Totally agreed !

T

the record spot

Nope, never felt the need for one, though they seem to be the flavour of the month (or one of them) these days!

I've always thought that a well balanced music system can do all it needs to. I will concede though, that a lot of contemporary speaker designs leave me baffled (pardon the pun!); how can a speaker which sports two bass drivers be "bass light" or "lean" as I've seen some described?

I'm listening to the Dark Side of the Moon SACD on the main system just now (Mission 752 floorstanders - Marantz amp and CD source) and there's an excellent range to the music. The system isn't bass heavy, rather more articulate and tracks the bottom end like a winner, the midrange is where it's at here (which is true with most music in any case) with a good rolled off treble, so not splashy (unless it's a duff recording in which case, you get what you get).

I've compared and mixed and matched this past six months but think this is the most likely combo that works best for me, without an extra substantial outlay (either new or secondhand). To paraphrase an old album title, no subwoofer required!

A

Anonymous

Do you lot have neighbours?
emotion-5.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Nope, never felt the need for one, though they seem to be the flavour of the month (or one of them) these days!

I've always thought that a well balanced music system can do all it needs to. I will concede though, that a lot of contemporary speaker designs leave me baffled (pardon the pun!); how can a speaker which sports two bass drivers be "bass light" or "lean" as I've seen some described?

I'm listening to the Dark Side of the Moon SACD on the main system just now (Mission 752 floorstanders - Marantz amp and CD source) and there's an excellent range to the music. The system isn't bass heavy, rather more articulate and tracks the bottom end like a winner, the midrange is where it's at here (which is true with most music in any case) with a good rolled off treble, so not splashy (unless it's a duff recording in which case, you get what you get).

I've compared and mixed and matched this past six months but think this is the most likely combo that works best for me, without an extra substantial outlay (either new or secondhand). To paraphrase an old album title, no subwoofer required!As they say "if it sounds good to you" im a big floyd fan & i had the SACD of dark side of the moon & its a cracking sound however, i still had my subs connected, i dont have them set high belting out at ridiculous volumes just enough to give it that extra depth, it does make a difference as ive tried it with & without.

A

Anonymous

jase fox:Graham_Thomas:Do you lot have neighbours?
emotion-5.gif
Not anymore ha

What happened to them?ÿ

T

the record spot

Graham_Thomas:Do you lot have neighbours?
emotion-5.gif

And that's the other consideration. I'm lucky in that I have no neighbours currently - we live in a detached place with some space between ourselves and the nearest house is a bit away (we're not the Hughes family indentured servants I might add...), but there will come a time when we'll need to take that into consideration again.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Sub is well integrated and quite proud of the fact it 'can't be heard', as is the suggested set-up by most (it took a lot of hard work to get there).

Movies is another matter, but being end-of-terrace only have one neighbour to worry about. He has home theatre too so understands, although to date we've never had a problem either way. Lucky with having a well constructed house I guess!ÿ

A

Anonymous

I have a Monitor Audio silver sub connected to my 2 channel system. I really don't use it all that often, but it does help (at times) when listening to FM. Since I bought the 805s speakers I really have not used it much. I really like the sound, speed and detail I'm getting without it. It really is about enjoying the music, and when I feel like adding some heavier base it's easy to turn it on.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
And it also depends on what music you listen to, im a metal head at heart, so listening to the likes of metallica, chili peppers, incubus etc warrants that added bass !

And boy does it rock ! It makes me do air guitar & drums ha

A

Anonymous

WestCoastFun:Since I bought the 805s speakers I really have not used it much.

I used to be more bothered about bass more than anything, as teenagers do. I have since taken the adverse response and my 805s are serving me appropriately and beautifully.

I do have a sub which does come into use from time to time with music. As Foxy just said it can add that extra whoomf to rock and metal, which is nice. More than anything though it gets turned on when friends come around who have no other intention but to annoy the neighbours.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i recently added one to my setup and love it - i loved my front speakers but they are a bit bass light the sub which isn't set that high just nicely fills in that bottom end and in my opinion pulls the whole sound together

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:i recently added one to my setup and love it - i loved my front speakers but they are a bit bass light the sub which isn't set that high just nicely fills in that bottom end and in my opinion pulls the whole sound together

Exactly !!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I must say I wouldn't be without subs (I use 2). Though they're not up to the quality of my main speakers, carefully set up they definitely add to the realism.
A pair of large floorstanders might plum the depths too, but I like the speed, imaging and agility of my little standmounts.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I had my MT-30s for about 9 months before I thought about hooking the PV1 up to my Hi-Fi too. I'm so glad I did. It's added another element to the sound without removing anything. I have it connected to my swithed 'B' pair of speaker outs, so at the press of a button I can remove it if I want. But other than Radiohead's later stuff, which can be a bit bass overload, I haven't switched it out.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Since switching to small monitor speakers ive noticed they dont plumb the depths my previous speakers did on certain musical passages and i sometimes miss that lower octave or two but i find the idea of a sub in my small room a bit scary. Always wondered what a small Rel quake or something would do to the sound. Years ago the mag positively endorsed the use of small monitors and sub in small spaces over big speakers but they seem a bit more cautious about it these days

A

Anonymous

It was you Jase Fox who gave me the go signal to add a subwoofer using the neutrik high-level connection. Now I am enjoying my system to the fullest. I am already satisfied with the bass that my floorstanders are producing, but after adding the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MKII with the neutrik high-level connection, stereo listening became more enjoyable. For me my sub is the icing on the cake.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
liujol:
It was you Jase Fox who gave me the go signal to add a subwoofer using the neutrik high-level connection. Now I am enjoying my system to the fullest. I am already satisfied with the bass that my floorstanders are producing, but after adding the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MKII with the neutrik high-level connection, stereo listening became more enjoyable. For me my sub is the icing on the cake.
Thats right i remember liujol & im glad your getting so much musical enjoyment out of it, i do believe that the folk who say "oh no id never add a sub to my hifi" havnt even tried it, i know because i used to be one of em, so i gave it a go as you do & ive never looked back & like what big chris says "it doesnt take anything away from it if anything it adds so much more presence to the music !

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
kusum65: Years ago the mag positively endorsed the use of small monitors and sub in small spaces over big speakers but they seem a bit more cautious about it these days

Really?
emotion-17.gif
Wonder what they'd say now...

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I use a MJ acoustics pro50 with my system,Roksan Kandy amp & cdp Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders and would not be with out it although I`m a bit of a bass fiend.I think set up is crucial and needs a lot of tweaking to get it right but when you do leave them knobs well alone! Considering an upgrade and am looking at BK electronics XLS300/PR anyone have experience with these subs?

A

Anonymous

so what ways are there to connect a sub to a stereo amp guys? ive got a sub out on my yamaha as-500... my acoustic energy radience sub has a single av subwoofer line in.... and line in right line out right, line in left line out left..

im currently connected using a standard sub cable from my as-500's sub out into the av subwoofer line in...

how would one connect to the other inputs on the sub? cheers...

cheers..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts