The use of subwoofers with music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:Nope, never felt the need for one, though they seem to be the flavour of the month (or one of them) these days! !

Why would the subwoofer be flavour of the month ? been around since 1973 and was invented for music by Ken Kreisel so i'm not surprised people like using subs for stereo music.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel it is a must! Though I learnt it the hardway, integrating it into the HiFi Kit is a little tiring some times. Now when ever a component in my set up is changed, I do it low to high approach with each setting lasting for more than few hours of listening.

PV1 is very fast and extremely easy to integrate!

manicm

For smaller spaces definitely - as I will have - and am considering getting a CA Minx 2.1 speaker system - no worries about walls, placement etc (and my one side will have no wall). Will hang 'em up on front wall, with sub in front on floor.

To my mind for compromised, smaller spaces a small sat/sub package would be the best solution. But will go and give a listen to the Minx first.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
It really does depend on matching well in many cases - some speakers can be easily matched with subs (especially if same brand or at least similar in design type). You also need to position the subs well as bass isn't directional - which generally isn't such an issue with a home theatre set-up but can cause an issue when sound is coming more from one area in the room.

In some cases, it makes more sense to upgrade the speakers to some with a bigger punch, though like most stuff the best advice is to try a sub (or two) if you can, experiment and see if the improvement and sound is worth it.

TRENDING THREADS