the story behind valve amps and speakers

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Me again with more valve related questions.
emotion-10.gif

Please could someone here be so kind to explain the meaning behind matching the right speakers with valve amps ? What do i need to bear in mind when considering buying speakers for use with valve amps (such as the Icon Audio Stereo 25 or Puresound A10/30) ? Im interested in searching for different speakers that could work well with these amps. I have had some good recommendations from some kind people, but ideally im looking for a shortlist of a dozen or so speakers. I have a small room and barely push my current amp beyond 20% of volume most days, i listen to everything from classical to pop to rock to dance.

Thanks.

idc

Hi Stephen. The thing about valve amps is that they tend to be low powered. So generally speaking the best speakers have a low impedence and high sensitivity. That means the speaker is not power hungry and does not need a huge amount to drive it.

For example, the X-CANV8P I have, which is a hybrid valve amp, puts out 1.3 watts, hence it will only drive headphones. Other valve amps, for full sized speakers can put out only 10-20 watts. So a higher ohmed, insensitive floor stander with multiple speakers to drive is not going to get the power it needs. Non valve amps tend to start about the 40 watt mark and rapidly rise to 100 plus.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Look on ebay for a pair of decent Tannoy Monitor Golds, save up for a Garrard 301 and an Ortofon SPU cartridge and arm and wonder what progress has been made in the last 50 years!

Hope this doesn't sound too quaint, try and look out on ebay for Wharfedale E series. If you're tight on space the E20's should fit the bill nicely - these wharfies and valve amps are a match made in heaven. Sadly, they are few and far between, but they are good.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
idc

Cheers for that, very helpful indeed. I understand now. It has helped me compose a shortlist of potentially suited speakers -

1/ Tannoy Revolution DC4
2/ Dynaudio Excite X12
3/ Focal MJAB Chorus 705 or 706
4/ Dali Ikon 2

Im putting together a plan for rebuilding my current system, but not quite at the point of spending, maybe try a part-ex or sell my old gear. Tough business this rebuilding ! So thanks again for your info !

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
chebby:Look on ebay for a pair of decent Tannoy Monitor Golds, save up for a Garrard 301 and an Ortofon SPU cartridge and arm and wonder what progress has been made in the last 50 years!

That sounds like a great idea chebby ! Honestly.
emotion-2.gif
I do have a slight fondness for vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts