The Rough Diamonds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings all.

Yesterday, I took out from hiding my old Wharfedale Diamond 9.4s -- described by WHF as a "Plodding, unexciting listen" -- because my MAs are in the hospital with a case of baffle resonance. Despite their obvious flaws in clarity, accuracy and so forth, whichever music I play, I find that these ugly things really surprise me: no matter how hard they are pushed, they exude a sense of command and eagerness to "go" that I do not find as captivating in my Monitor Audios. Roxy Music's "Take a Chance with Me" seems more dominating and powerful, and one wants to sit back and simply enjoy the song.

These are not sophisticated loudpeakers, and suffer from what I would term "muddiness", but they do still entertain with their energy and fun character. Comparatived to the all-mature-and-grown-up MAs, these speakers can still party. They are plodding, yes, but not entirely unexciting.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
zimble01: They are plodding, yes, but not entirely unexciting.

Wotcha zimble01. I'd maintain that the 9.4s plod unexcitingly, but an amendment to "not entirely unexciting" isn't the end of the world.

And you're quite right about the 9.1s, JD. They don't plod and they are exciting. Unlike the 9.4s.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear. It seems I have trangressed! I'd hate ever to contradict what WHF thinks, so I must certainly be suffering from "two weeks without a proper set of speakers" syndrome. Please forgive me, Mr. Lucas, for expressing my opinion.

A

Anonymous

My Wharfedale Evo2 30s are great for £250!! They only get 3 stars in the mag, but that was when they were £649.99...I'm sure at £250 they get five stars! Powerful, articulate, detailed...just forget the word "soundstage" ever existed, and they are superb!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts