1. Dynaudio Excite EX32

2. Monitor Audio GS20

3. Neat Motive 1

4. Spendor A5

5. Proac Studio 140 Mk2

6. Proac D18

7. KEF XQ30

8. ??? Mystery Speaker X ???

First up, having spent a few minutes acclimatising at Music Matters with my Spendor S3e speakers, Primare CD31 and I30 source components, was the Dynaudio pair.

They made me sit up and listen. Previously I had known on some level or other that the Spendors, as nice as they are, were not quite delivering what I wanted. The Dynaudios proved it beyond reasonable doubt. Here is what I jotted down during my morning listening session:-

Spendor S3e (before hearing anything else)

Clear, warm/mellow and generally a pleasant listen BUT...

Bass is not tight enough (a bit too undefined)

Top end not quite crisp enough on occasion

Slightly closed-in sound

Overall balance is good, but something is lacking

Dynaudio Excite EX32

Immediate difference - improvement in all departments

Bass more controlled and tightened

Better balance

Top end crisper

Better sense of presence and spaciousness - seems less forced and easier to produce the music.

Scale and separation enhanced.

Attractive and classical looks

I like these

Immediately, although the Spendors are no slouch at delivering a musical and enjoyable experience, I was aware that the Dynaudio floorstanders had made a clearly discernible step up in my listening experience. They just took the music to a new level of enjoyment. I was keen to hear more. So next up were the MA GS20 speakers.

Monitor Audio GS20

These look the business

Uh-oh, loss of spaciousness (in all directions) - a more concentrated sound

Maybe too much fizz in the treble on cymbals - less control of the top end maybe?

Pleasant midrange effect and strong, fuller bass style

More of a rock gig experience: bass is more powerful and more dominant - forward?

Sounding good at low volumes - still digs out the detail and a sense of clarity when played relatively quiet - a very useful feature.

But overall they just didn't do it for me. It was the bass that I found too dominant, swamping some of the detail. I liked the look and the build quality but was disappointed with the whole package.

Neat Motive 1

A leaner, more refined and restrained sound than the MAs

Better bass control - more defined

Unfortunately, they need to go louder to get the full effect - harder to drive

Overall balance is an improvement over the MAs

The sense of space is back

However, are they a touch too bright and crisp?

Again, the sound at lower volumes is a definite improvement over the S3e delivery, even though a pale shadow of the way tracks should be delivered

I may prefer the Dynaudios - need to conduct a head-to-head

Each of the above improved on the sound of the S3e delivery. However, it was not a consistent improvement. Although the Monitor Audios look the business and have a lovely finish, the bass ‘bloom' was too much for me. I imagine that some systems can take the GS20 sound and do something wonderful in the rock department, but I need a consistent sound across various genres. So not for me. Therefore it comes down to the Dynaudio and Neat at this venue. The Dynaudios have the classical look and the Neats look more current, but sonically I was thinking that there was a certain extra something to the Dynaudio sound over the Neats - a bit of extra warmth and overall balance. Both delivered great detail and clarity and wide soundstage. The MA pair were just too concentrated and focussed at me (almost giving the same confined small box delivery of the S3e pair in a way).

All of which took us from 10.30 to 12.45 and only new 3 speakers demoed (I needed to be in Coventry by 2.00pm). Well, go on, just one more listen whilst I'm here, but it needs to be quick...

...but you will have to wait for that one! :eek:) Suffice it to say, I left Music Matters at about 1.10pm and still needed to escape the traffic gravity well that is Birmingham.

I made it with a few minutes to spare (some posh bird in her BMW even vacated a parking space close-by, almost on schedule) I tried to lug my gear up to the top floor of Frank Harvey, but was not allowed - customers are there to listen, not to work. Moreover, customers are there to pick and choose their listening - aargh, so many speakers to choose from!

Well, it had to be the Spendor SA1 didn't it? Well, no, it didn't. I briefly gave it consideration at some point, but thought that with just one afternoon session, it should be floorstanders only. Maybe an opportunity missed? Maybe another day? But anyway, on to the Spendor A5, which was, I suppose, a logical move from the S3e. Notes:-

Spendor A5

I like the sound already - it takes the edge off the top end (comparing with the Neats)

Clear and airy sound

Good control of the top end - precise, clear and detailed

Bass not overblown or dominating

Definitely the S3e PLUS!!!

Yes, I liked the Spendor A5 sound, which picks up where the S3e leaves off. Did I want to hear the A6 pair at over £2k? Given more time, that would have been a "yes", but I needed to hear others in my price range, which meant a quick discussion and the arrival of the ProAc Studio 140 Mk2.

ProAc Studio 140 Mk2

Visually, initial impression of another Spendor A5 but looking indefinably more ‘serious' and somehow classier.

Easier to drive - sounding decent at lower volume level

Actually - more spacious sounding, freeing the music more

And this is where the note-taking stopped!

...Because I sat there and became intoxicated with the ProAcs, which delivered everything the Spendors did but even better. They take the Spendor sound and move it up to another level, delivering a performance that simply left me smiling in vacuous pleasure. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you hopefully know what I mean and I was certainly smiling and nodding as I listened.

The music was simply unleashed to do what it should do: enthral and entertain.

Yes, partnered with the Primares, the ProAcs left me smiling and appreciating the tracks as, one by one, I fed CDs into the drawer. I would have loved to spend the whole afternoon and beyond listening to track after track. So, it was with a certain degree of trepidation that I opted to give the ProAc D18 speakers a listen. I thought they were an extravagance (and temptation) too far - at over £2k. But, in for a penny...

...and such a disappointment!

I actually found them, by comparison with the Studio 140s, lacking in life and dynamism. For me, with my system, they were flat and uninspiring. They didn't seem to have any life or enthusiasm. I expected great things - huge temptation - after the 140s, but despite the rather smart physical appearance, they didn't seem to deliver the goods. Too flat and neutral(?). Accurate and controlled, but lacking any form of life. Boringly frustrating and yet a boon because they tempted me not one iota.

And so to the wild card. This was the KEF XQ30. I'd not considered the speaker and, in truth, not known of its existence. But, with a little time to spare, I was willing to give them a listen. I found them to be similar to the Neats; possibly slightly livelier, but would need a direct comparison to be sure. Like enthusiastic puppies - eager to please and be liked. However, the ProAcs had won the day.

Therefore, unless my third port of call, in a couple of weeks, holds a big surprise, I reckon I will be the proud owner of a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk2s before Christmas.

Oh, and for anyone who is still keeping up with this lengthy post and has kept a count, yes, there is one more speaker I listened to, but that belongs on a separate post. [;)]

scene

ESP2009:
Oh, and for anyone who is still keeping up with this lengthy post and has kept a count, yes, there is one more speaker I listened to, but that belongs on a separate post.
emotion-5.gif

You tease!
emotion-5.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Glad you found something you liked! I think in another post on this topic I recommended the Proac's - they were one of my favourite sounds at this years Bristol show and I think have been a little overlooked in terms of coverage, very nice speakers.

A

Anonymous

What a great result! You found a speaker that makes you forget about auditioning and assessing. That's exactly what happened when I heard the SA1. The trick is to stop there and buy. It strikes me that it's not as simple as this for some, so an excellent result. Cheers for sharing.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to each of you for your responses. It was a very enjoyable day and most productive. I would also like to thank those of you who pointed me towards various of the contenders. Sadly, due to practicalities (chiefly in the form of certain furry critters who like to find nooks and crannies to explore - yes, including speaker ports) some models were eliminated from the quest, even before they could be listened to. Among these were the PMC speakers.

The ProAcs were definitely my favourites (well, apart from the B&W Diamond 800s) and I will be surprised if I hear anything to surpass them when I visit Audio Affair, but nothing in this life is certain. Perhaps the AE Radiance 3s will impress?
emotion-5.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Fingers crossed!
emotion-1.gif

We designed them to be on the lively, upbeat and powerful, rather than smooth'n'laidback side - sort of where the "Radiance" name came from. They seem to have gone down generally well with the press, some loving the sound (picked up a couple of nice product of the year awards from around the World) and others more lukewarm on the character (WHF amongst them!). Some prefer the smaller Radiance 2's which are a little cheaper too... Either way will be interesting to hear how you get on, the Proac's will be hard to beat!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
AEJim:

Fingers crossed!
emotion-1.gif

We designed them to be on the lively, upbeat and powerful, rather than smooth'n'laidback side - sort of where the "Radiance" name came from. They seem to have gone down generally well with the press, some loving the sound (picked up a couple of nice product of the year awards from around the World) and others more lukewarm on the character (WHF amongst them!). Some prefer the smaller Radiance 2's which are a little cheaper too... Either way will be interesting to hear how you get on, the Proac's will be hard to beat!

Can't say fairer than that.
emotion-21.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:

emotion-21.gif

Just went and had a listen to remind myself what they sound like - after working on new Reference standmounts and "Micro" speakers for the last few months you forget what a large floorstander can do!! Bass is so easy, ears pack up before the volume does on ACDC, but most of all the detail on offer from a true 3-way is really impressive, hearing more depth and subtle phrasing with better separation than I'm used to - without being too "in your face". That said, our main listening room is huge - about 35 feet long by 20 wide and 15 tall - I don't think these would work as well in my 11' by 8' man room unfortunately, but certainly got me interested to do some more experimenting!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:ESP2009:

emotion-21.gif

Just went and had a listen to remind myself what they sound like - after working on new Reference standmounts and "Micro" speakers for the last few months you forget what a large floorstander can do!! Bass is so easy, ears pack up before the volume does on ACDC, but most of all the detail on offer from a true 3-way is really impressive, hearing more depth and subtle phrasing with better separation than I'm used to - without being too "in your face". That said, our main listening room is huge - about 35 feet long by 20 wide and 15 tall - I don't think these would work as well in my 11' by 8' man room unfortunately, but certainly got me interested to do some more experimenting!

Any reason why these havent been reviewed by WHF Jim?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:AEJim:ESP2009:

emotion-21.gif

I think we sent the 5.1 in originally with the intention the guys hold onto them and pick models out for individual review (that's usually how we do it). They probably had a lot of stock in at the time so we would have been asked to collect them when they were done. We had some veneer issues for a few months so stopped pushing them until all was sorted... I'll ask the guys if they're interested again when they've had a chance to wind down after all the Awards rush!
emotion-1.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:JamesOK:AEJim:ESP2009:

emotion-21.gif

I think we sent the 5.1 in originally with the intention the guys hold onto them and pick models out for individual review (that's usually how we do it). They probably had a lot of stock in at the time so we would have been asked to collect them when they were done. We had some veneer issues for a few months so stopped pushing them until all was sorted... I'll ask the guys if they're interested again when they've had a chance to wind down after all the Awards rush!
emotion-1.gif

Ah fair enough. I do remember a time when Acoustic Energy seemed to be in WHF a great deal. AE Aego P5 (which served me well until literally a month ago and now has a new home!) and the Aegis (?) range for example. Is it fair to say you are not featured so much any more, or is that just me!?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

It looks like you spent more time writing up than listening!!
emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
To you too! Given the opportunity, I would have spent all day listening. So many speakers, so little time.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks once more for the hospitality and the opportunity to try a few of the vast range of temptations in your emporium.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:

Ah fair enough. I do remember a time when Acoustic Energy seemed to be in WHF a great deal. AE Aego P5 (which served me well until literally a month ago and now has a new home!) and the Aegis (?) range for example. Is it fair to say you are not featured so much any more, or is that just me!?

Well (hoping not to hijack ESP's thread too much!) that's fair to say - we were winning "Product of the Year" awards for about 4 years running so had a huge amount of coverage in the early 2000's! It's swings and roundabouts really and we can't expect to win 'em all
emotion-5.gif

That said our MD at the time was a Marketing man so spent a lot of effort promoting the company, the MD now is more from the techy side so we've spent a good couple of years working on the infrastructure of the company - hopefully something you'll see the fruits of over the next year (in the past it took about 9-12 months from a completed design to it arriving in the shops - I designed the visual of a new "Micro" speaker about 6 weeks back and we've already had the finished prototype for a week or so, should be available in January!).

We have also been spending our money on investment rather than Marketing but now things have all settled into place we will be back in WHF regularly with advertising (as of this month's Awards issue) so that should improve our visibility a little! There's only a dozen staff in total at AE so we don't always have the manpower to do too many things at once!
emotion-1.gif
Oh, and I still use an Aego P5 as my main home cinema system!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:
Therefore, unless my third port of call, in a couple of weeks, holds a big surprise, I reckon I will be the proud owner of a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk2s before Christmas.

Now thats a Christmas present!

Great reviewing ESP and role on December.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter69:ESP2009:

Now thats a Christmas present! Great reviewing ESP and role on December.

Yeah, but I wonder if I can work on the OH for the B&W Daleks?
emotion-4.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:shooter69:ESP2009:

emotion-4.gif

LOL. Nice thought, how much work are we talking here?

I really need to get out more, i'm very envious at the moment.....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter69:ESP2009:shooter69:ESP2009:

emotion-4.gif

LOL. Nice thought, how much work are we talking here? I really need to get out more, i'm very envious at the moment.....

At £18k a pair, I think I would be working 25hrs a day and getting nowhere!
emotion-1.gif

I reckon the OH thinks I should get out more...however it should be under close supervision!
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts