The Right Path for Upgrade NAD System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am thinking to upgrade my system (NAD C326BEE & C545BEE), and considering two brand as based (ROTEL & MARANTZ).

What I am looking is to find better separate system (CDP, Pre & Amp), which hopefully produce, more lively, clearly & superb detail (since somehow I feel my NAD lack of) without forget the tight & punchyness of the bass & also my wallet. My speaker is B&W 685. My music is basically everything (Jazz, Classic, Vocal, HipHop, Rock & everything).

So any recommendation of configuration both for Rotel & Marantz, it will be welcome & appreciate.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Well I've never heard a Rotel amp, but I'm not much a fan of Marantz.

If you are looking to upgrade your amplifier, look at Roksan, Naim, Cyrus, NAD Pre/Power. The first three would give you a more lively sound, but be sure to try them with your other equipment.

Book some demos.

Instead of getting a CDP, get a DAC, and use a computer - cheaper - sounds better.

I would also like to upgrade my amp, but I don't think I'm going to be able to for a while!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't like to use my PC as source. If I have to, maybe I would use brennan kit as my source.

Back to my question. Last week, I had some demo using Roksan K2 Kandy (CDP & Int Amp) & using K2 TR5 speaker. But I found the bass is not so tight as my original system. So, any other suggestion? Again, it will high appreciated..

matthewpiano

What speaker cables and interconnects are you using? This might just be a tweak that is needed rather than actually changing components. You are going to find the NAD kit very difficult to improve upon without spending serious money.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Marantz or Rotel would make sense as an upgrade path from what you now have. Whatever you buy, you need to have extensive demo sessions or you will likely end up with something different, but not better, and possibly less enjoyable.

I can tell you what brands I would consider if I was going to upgrade: BAT, Plinius, Bryston, Musical Fidelity. That's my short list.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I agree with a previous post that upgrading from the NAD may need a more significant outlay than you may expect to get real benefit.

Marantz & Rotel have a very different sound signature to the NAD. Marantz are cleaner and brighter but not better for bass. When i moved up from NAD myself i did not particularly like the sound of Marantz or Cambridge Audio for instance, but found Arcam FMJ and Musical Fidelity a much better bet and closer to the sound style i was used to. Also i would always consider Naim.

You really need to try out a shortlist of makes to see if you like the way they sound. Moving from NAD and not being disappointed isnt always that easy :)

You could consider a better speaker which may yield a cleaner presentation.

A

Anonymous

whoops your right

i agree with you about the quality of the nad gear so its the speakers id be looking at

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:
I don't think Marantz or Rotel would make sense as an upgrade path from what you now have. Whatever you buy, you need to have extensive demo sessions or you will likely end up with something different, but not better, and possibly less enjoyable.

I can tell you what brands I would consider if I was going to upgrade: BAT, Plinius, Bryston, Musical Fidelity. That's my short list.

second that! Marantz or Rotel can not be considered an upgrade from NAD. maybe some roksan,creek, cyrus or arcam to not suggest gear such expensive as plinius or bryston.

A

Anonymous

I agree with you all, NAD is have good quality. But as problem with this hobby, I find we will never satisfied & always try to improve the sound quality of our system & try to get the near real sound.

Currently, my system are:
C545BEE, C236BEE, BW 685, Chord Crimson Interconnet, Chord SilverScreen speaker cable & Epos stand.
If I upgrade interconnet cable wth Merlin Mozzart & the speaker cable with QED Evolution XT, would give any improvement? I love detail ambience of med-hi sound & try to achieve near real sound.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Tough:I love detail ambience of med-hi sound & try to achieve near real sound. Thanks

Cyrus gear might be able to give you just that, and from there lots of upgrade options available with their Dac, pre, and PSU boxes.

What's your budget in any case?

matthewpiano

Also - what are the Epos stands like? The 685s need really good, heavy stands to give of their best. It might be worth looking into trying some Partington Dreadnoughts or even B&W's own stands for the 685s to get the very best out of them.

A

Anonymous

For budget, I have not setup yet due I don't know the path I have to choose. And also I am consider to upgrade step by step. So first step, I want to upgrade my int amp with pre-power. Then upgrade CDP. But for speaker, I think I would keep it as long as possible due already fall in love with them.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
So true about this hobby.We are all hifi junkies.Think i actually spent more time listening to my music on my old Panasonic boombox 15 years ago than on my system now.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
If you are looking to upgrade the amplifier in due course i personally wouldnt start buying and replacing all the cables.

My reasoning is that as you want to keep the speakers, but are looking to change the amplifier then this could easily mean any cable changes you make now are no longer quite right again.

Your money would be best saved for now towards the best amp you can afford looking as already indicated at models from Roksan, Arcam, Cyrus, Naim which even at their cheaper end would make a difference v the NAD.

I suspect your CD player would hold its own for now until you can save up again :)

A

Anonymous

I think I have to agree with you crusadelord. So for first step, any recomendation of type if I choose pre-amp Arcam, cyrus or musical fidelity?

A

Anonymous

So basically, I have 2 option for upgrade.

Option 1, (cheaper) upgrade cable or maybe the stand also. Currently for interconnect I am using Cord Crimson. Is it best partner for NAD? Any suggestion guys? How about Merlin interconnect? Even though is very hard to find its reseller in Jakarta.

For speaker cable I think I would replace my Chord SilverScreen with QED Anniversary XT or QED Revelation. Again which one, is better for my setup?

Option 2, upgrade the machine. I think if I done with the cables & if I get much improvement of the sound, then I would stick with current system. If not, then I will started to book some demo with Arcam, Creek & Musical Fidelety.

Again guys, still need sugestion & comment. Thanks

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I believe the NAD has pre-out sockets. Keep your eyes peeled on the usual sites for a C270 or C272 power amp, and then biamp the B&Ws. The NAD/B&W combo will take a lot of cash to beat, adding a power amp should tick your boxes, and make the sound more controlled and effortless... I agree that a wholesale change of amp would probably be a sideways move unless you are willing to spend a large wedge of moolah!

Stand-wise, I've just ordered a pair of 50cm Apollo A4s in crackle-black for my 601s3s. About the right height, and look great. Would be a good match for yours- £83 including delivery...

A

Anonymous

Hi again,
Just bought QED Anniversary Bi-wire yesterday. Suddenly I heard sound changes. It more open & clearly compare to Chord SilverScreen.I can heard some detail, which can not be heard previously. Hopefully after break in, it will deliver more detail sound. But, no luck on Merlin Mozart. They don't have retail in Jakarta, even some of audio store think I was asking about big AC power cable.

Also for even NAD C272, even though on NAD appear is still appear but their local distributor say, NAD had discontinued it. When I asked NAD, they told me it up to local distributor to continue or discontinue. Well, we living in funny world, isn't it?

A

Anonymous

I just do browsing & make pre-decision to make future upgrade using Cyrus. Before that, I tried to compare with Naim, since easier to find both of them in Jakarta & also cheaper, compare with other which recommended. But more preferable with Cyrus compare with Naim, due Naim is more suitable with Neat. And like I said before, "want to keep my B&W 685 as long as I can".

So, I pre-plan to buy power amp from Cyrus & connect with my NAD C236BEE as 1st stage. Then after that replace NAD C236BEE with Cyrus Pre, as 2nd stage. And last stage is to replace my C545 with Cyrus CDP.

But little bit confused, since all Cyrus Power (Cyrus 8 specially) max output is only 60 W on 8 amp. Compare with my current C236 is 50W. So only get additional 10W. Is this add. power will make noticeable changes on my B&W 685 output?

Need recommendation & advice from all Guru's & Experts.....

Thanks & Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts