Question What would be the appropriate upgrade path?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Just to be sure, what interconnects do you use for the CP2? Maybe an upgrade on interconnects will tip the balance.

EDIT: I am referring to those connecting the CP2 with the PM6007.

Last edited:

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Just to be sure, what interconnects do you use for the CP2? Maybe an upgrade on interconnects will tip the balance.

EDIT: I am referring to those connecting the CP2 with the PM6007.
I have 3 feet Fospower interconnects, pretty decent. I also have a 1-foot interconnect between DAC and amp for the Bluesound node, which is a higher quality - maybe I could switch them to see if I hear a difference (didn't think of that).

Will let you know!

I was thinking also of selecting one song I know very well which has a lot of variations, and perform a couple of full listen for appreciation. Maybe it would be worth it? A-B-A-B-A-B tests maybe 🤔

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
I have 3 feet Fospower interconnects, pretty decent. I also have a 1-foot interconnect between DAC and amp for the Bluesound node, which is a higher quality - maybe I could switch them to see if I hear a difference (didn't think of that).

Will let you know!

I was thinking also of selecting one song I know very well which has a lot of variations, and perform a couple of full listen for appreciation. Maybe it would be worth it? A-B-A-B-A-B tests maybe 🤔

When trying to audition hardware then try an choose a track that has some good "sshh" and "cchh" sounds in the vocals such as the word "choose" or "shout" etc. These high notes can suffer from sibilance on poorer equipment. Also it must be a track you are familiar with. Play only 10-15 seconds of that track over and over a number of times 6-10 times is good. Then swap the component out and play the same and listen for differences. That way your mind is more focussed on the change in sound rather than being lost in the music etc.

Can't wait to hear back your findings.

WayneKerr

When trying to audition hardware then try an choose a track that has some good "sshh" and "cchh" sounds in the vocals such as the word "choose" or "shout" etc. These high notes can suffer from sibilance on poorer equipment.
I've found the reverse to be true - better kit can make recordings sound worse than cheaper kit, especially where sibliance is concerned.

matthewpianist

I've found the reverse to be true - better kit can make recordings sound worse than cheaper kit, especially where sibliance is concerned.

I agree, better kit can be more exposing of a recording, and the 'faults' in a recording are laid bare. It's hard to imagine being able to bring out all the detail in a recording with a filter for 'good' and 'bad' detail!

I was listening to 'Revolver' (The Beatles) last night, for the first time on my current system. I heard things I haven't heard before, and I was amazed by how beautifully recorded that album is. I could really hear the interplay between all four mop-tops, and details in the vocal harmonies and in Paul's bass playing were shown more completely.

On the other hand, I played 'Dog Man Star' a couple of days ago. It sounded fine overall, but on some tracks the brick walling was obvious, and there were occasions when sibilants were raised.

Both albums were played from good vinyl pressings.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Alright, a few days plug & replug, quite tedious, what with the grounding and all... So really more based on "feeling" than A/B.

Still, every time, I swear I would be able to do a blind test.

The Cambridge Audio CP2 sounds good, but the Marantz' is obviously superior in that:
- it will pick up ANY speck of dust on the vinyl. I put Eagle's Hell's Freezes over, and no matter what, I would hear very soft pops and crackles I would not hear on CP, even when going back & forth
- the bass sounds richer on Marantz'. Not by much, but I in love will keep us alive, where it is loud and smooth... Well, it was louder and smoother 😂
- the real thing was a low light test, where I sat and listened to the same album through, the stage felt more natural I would say, in the sense it felt more like I was on my own with the band with the Marantz' phono than the CA.

But I would like to stress 2 points:
1. Only the static sounds (dust) were absolutely obvious. The rest? Not that much. It is difficult to say whether it was fatigue, wanting better, or whatever.

2. I already had the CA CP2, and this experience is enough to convince me that I don't need it. The Marantz' phono is at least on par with it according to my ear.

All in all, it was a very interesting process, and as npxavar said: it is interesting to see that new breed of integrated amps can foster so high quality phono stage for the money.

I think now I am fine for a while before changing any components, and I will just enjoy the music!!

Cheers!

Mrob

Reactions: WayneKerr

gasolin

The mentioned Denon pma 800ne has for some time been discontinued

Personally i feel marantz isn't that great a bass a toghter with either a bright sounding speaker it can sound a little thin, out of balance avoid brands like Dali B&W if you plan on upgrading your speakers

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site

Personally i feel marantz isn't that great a bass a toghter with either a bright sounding speaker it can sound a little thin, out of balance avoid brands like Dali B&W if you plan on upgrading your speakers

Why do you say that? I have a Marantz PM7000n and Dali Oberon 5 speakers and it's not short on weight or heft and handles details beautifully.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I only had the small marantz amps and a pm8005 i think it was, nothing special in the bass,more smoth then tight and punchy

On Marantz pm6007, with the Elac debut 6, the bass is pretty good.

Maybe it depends on combination, or maybe I just don't have a good reference :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts