The one amplifier you may need

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I personally think Marantz make amplifiers most would probably want.

They tread a very clever line between valves/SS, warm/neutral, soft/rhythmic etc etc.

I have a feeling if more folks would choose the more upmarket models they'd be less tempted by upgradeitis.

Then there's all the others which do one or the other things better. The 'usual' premium brands which many owners seem to change or upgrade at an alarming rate because they are not satisfied for some reason.

I am surprised that Marantz 'only' seem to attract the budget end here in the UK. Perhaps it's due to WHS&V and their decade's long praise for entry Marantz stuff.

Wonder how many miss out. It probably should be mentioned more but most would never include the brand in anything above £1k. - Shame really.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think that's what happens when the media latch on to a model or two at one price point in the range - the buying public go out and buy them in droves, and ignore the rest of the range. That's what happens when you praise/promote individual models rather than a brand. "Boxshifters", they have no interest in building on a brand, they're only interested in the model or two in the range that sells.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The plastic budget entry level gear is where the money is made. I wouldn't blame 'the media'. Marantz know exactly what they are doing and have a very good marketing team to pull it off. They are cashing in on the name which used to symbolize something premium and high class. And you can't demonize them since they have maybe the best cheap plastic entry gear on the market. Good marketing AND engineering giving the customer high VFM.

However, I do agree with your point that there is a gap since the Esotec and Ken Ishiwata days. The lust over their high end gear is not there, except for the die hard Marantz fan. Sony tried a high-end revival with the SS-AR1, Pioneer with AJ and TAD, Yamaha with their vintage revival, now Technics. Maybe it's time for Marantz to get back in the grown up game. Oldest trick in the book is to make flagships worthy of lust and then market their features in your low-mid fi kits. Marantz, give us flagships. This Reference stuff feels mid-fi-ish.

20th century Marantz:

projectt-1.jpg

ma-9s1.JPG

ma-7.JPG

pm-94limited.JPG

pm-8mkii.JPG

tt1000l.JPG

mc1000.JPG

sm-6.JPG

ax1000.JPG

sm-5(2).JPG

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You don't even have to go that high.

How many on this or other UK Forum ever mention Marantz in £1.5 to 2 or 3k systems?

Their loss me guesses.

Another problem with perceived value is that they have redesigned their budget stuff to look like their higher tier products.

I fully understand why and agree, it's clever marketing but as you say, it now fails to make a distinction between the levels even though build quality is a multitude better it's not immediately obvious.

It won't bother them probably as they make much more money with the budget stuff but it's unfortunate.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Naim looks all the same, rega looks mostly similar as does cyrus and others.

The real problem is that none of those do real budget and thus never had this association.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Naim looks all the same, rega looks mostly similar as does cyrus and others.

The real problem is that none of those do real budget and thus never had this association.

Marantz has been making low budget gear since the Superscope days. Lots of cheapies in the 80s and 90s. But look at the high-end gear of that era.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I do not blame people for not going for amplifiers like the PM-10 at £6000 and its matching cdplayer at £6000 = £12000 which both units are ugly looking units .

at least the Yamaha A-S range is better looking and just as well built as the PM-10 probably built better I would say for less money too as there is no plastic used in my A-S2100 it's all aluminum and wood even the switches are made from aluminum that's quality in my book .

like my self I tried the lower end of the marantz range PM6005 / PM8005 it's ok but for some reason owning the lower end does make you think there's better out there which there is .

owning my Yamaha has stopped me upgrading as this amplifier is just amazing amplifier to own

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think most of the time you can't listen to it.richer sounds sell marantz but only the cheapest one's.reading the review of hd DAC 1 not only did it looks gorgeous but they said it sounded great too but i couldn't get a demo anywhere and i didn't what to take the chance of just buying it as i hate the cheapest marantz models.never liked the sound

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If this thread tells us anything so far ... it is probably that looks matters more than sound.

Initially at least but how long does it last?

(I personally prefer the Higher End Marantz look to say that of the rectangular Yamaha but I like the way you can partner even new Yamaha boxes with older ones without loosing the continuing design)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It"s a well known psychoacoustic phenomenon that we listen with our eyes too. There is more to the hi-fi hobby than just music and bang for buck.

drummerman said:
I personally think Marantz make amplifiers most would probably want.

They tread a very clever line between valves/SS, warm/neutral, soft/rhythmic etc etc.

I have a feeling if more folks would choose the more upmarket models they'd be less tempted by upgradeitis.

Then there's all the others which do one or the other things better. The 'usual' premium brands which many owners seem to change or upgrade at an alarming rate because they are not satisfied for some reason.

I am surprised that Marantz 'only' seem to attract the budget end here in the UK. Perhaps it's due to WHS&V and their decade's long praise for entry Marantz stuff.

Wonder how many miss out. It probably should be mentioned more but most would never include the brand in anything above £1k. - Shame really.

I'm not sure that's accurate DM.

Having heard the albeit older entry-level Marantz amps and the mid-range models they are quite different. The budget end sounded more open - 'all things to all people' type of signature. By contrast, the higher end amps from Marantz tend to be smoother, almost over refined in some aspects. This is good for some but it can omit some of the musical enjoyment as the presentation can sound creamy.

Aside from that, my belief has always been about balance: Regardless of make and presentation, if you combine it with the wrong speakers it'll sound crummy, but only a dem will decide what's good and what's 'orrid.

The perfect example is your old 8VS2. Home dem'd with my old RS6s and was quite impressive for short sessions. Anymore than an hour of constant listening I can quite imagine the combo could be fatiguing.

When I heard the previous model (8VS) with Dynaudio Audience that was a different prospect altogether.

Perhaps I'm over-simplifying it: Research, dem, buy... get it wrong, though, and it could well be tears until midnight.

There was a thread on the rather overlooked 14 series just the other day.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm14s1-sesa14s1-se-marantz-reference-range

Having recently bought the SACD player for a grand (less than 12 months old), I certainly agree it is often overlooked. Much nicer in the metal than you'd think from the pictures, mine is in the classic gold colour, like those items Vlad kindly posted pictures of above. They looked as fine as any Accuphase or Luxman.

Perhaps the higher-end models do well in other countries, and of course here, Naim and others are home-grown, and probably have fantastic margins for the dealers too.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just bought a manufacturer refurbished Marantz PM14-S1SE with full warranty etc for a good price. Can't set it up and listen to it yet as I've got family staying with me with little fingers but if sound quality matches build quality it will be stunning. A very heavy amp that looks a lot nicer in the flesh. When you compare build quality and facilities etc against British amps in the same price bracket it makes you wonder why they're not bigger sellers.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Troy62 said:
Just bought a manufacturer refurbished Marantz PM14-S1SE with full warranty etc for a good price. Can't set it up and listen to it yet as I've got family staying with me with little fingers but if sound quality matches build quality it will be stunning. A very heavy amp that looks a lot nicer in the flesh. When you compare build quality and facilities etc against British amps in the same price bracket it makes you wonder why they're not bigger sellers.

Enjoy your new toy

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Troy62 said:

Hi Troy62, nice to meet you and congrats on your purchase. If you could please post your impressions in the folowing thread, then that would be great as I too am looking to possibly get this amplifier :- http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm14s1-sesa14s1-se-marantz-reference-range

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Troy62 said:

Enjoy your new toy

Thanks Andrew. I'm sure I will

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
sound10 said:
Troy62 said:

Hi Troy62, nice to meet you and congrats on your purchase. If you could please post your impressions in the folowing thread, then that would be great as I too am looking to possibly get this amplifier :- http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm14s1-sesa14s1-se-marantz-r...

Thank you and nice to meet you too the family will be here for a few more weeks as we are refurbing their new home but once I get it set up I'd be happy to report back

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts