The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
aahonari said:
Hi Cno, So, I spoke with my dealer, and he's telling with my budget I should go with these cables:

RCA: Chord Signature

Power Cord: Fisch Audiotechnic

Speaker cables: The discountinued Fadel Art Coherence One Or Transparent MusicWave ultra What are your thoughts?

Do you have any experience with these cables? Thanks, Amir

Can you borrow all of them and give each a decent go - It is never easy to predict what someone else will think, or what value they will put on what they hear....just don't spend more than would bring a bigger improvement, by spending the money elsewhere in the system.

IME. Cables are like seasoning in food.....ie. They should be used to improve an already balanced system, rather than fix a fundamental problem, but saying that, this is a very unpredictable hobby and imo it's worth experimenting with.

The Chord Signature is a well thought of cable, and if I'm right, it is one of the few in Chord's range that isn't silver coated (imo a good thing).....for my taste, I would rather have other brands (Atlas, Telurium Q, Cardas).

The only other brand I've heard of (but not heard) in your list, is Transparent.

Will the dealer come over to your house and give an opinion on what he thinks is going on?

Are the speakers on a suspended wooden floor, by any chance?

Let us know how things go.

No. The speakers are on large floor tiles. The whole problem arises from the fact that I live in a different city than the dealer, hence my inability of auditioning the speakers, the amp (in the first place), now the cables, and potentially very soon the Electra speakers ( I asked and the KEFs are not available).. But, he has told me, he's willing to ship open box cables to me and let me test them, which is great news! Anywho, I was shocked when I heard the cable business could get really expensive (and at first he had prepared a GBP ~3,000 pounds cable package)...

:shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
CnoEvil said:
....just don't spend more than would bring a bigger improvement, by spending the money elsewhere in the system.

Anywho, I was shocked when I heard the cable business could get really expensive (and at first he had prepared a GBP ~3,000 pounds cable package)...

There was good reason for my comment above! ;)

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno... Just bought a budget amp for the bedroom. The Rega brio-r and a pair of standmount speakers.:rockout:

Glad you got sorted. :cheer:

Also ordered a pair of Atacama nexus speaker stands and atabites. Do you think these stands are good enough for the speakers?

What are the speakers?

LS 50

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

Well well! :O

They are very similar to the Soundsyle Z2s which I have mine on. The secret is filling them (I used sand).

How are they sounding?

I demoed them at my local dealer against Focal aria 906/ Kef r100-r300/ bw 685s2/ MA silver1 and the ls50 sounds best for my liking. Very open and detailed with massive soundstage. The r300 are also very good and a bit warmer than the ls50 where Im about to go for them but they need more space and may overwhelm our bedroom with too much bass. The r100 lacks a bit of refinement and seems to struggle with complex music same as the MA silver1. The focal aria are also very good with unforced detailed and produce really a big sound but the bass is also my concern like the r300. The bw 685 s2 sounds good but nothing special, the bass is not as clean as the rest of the speakers I demo and a little boomy. The MA silver1 sounded very detailed but shrill at the top end when pushed harder

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I demoed them at my local dealer against Focal aria 906/ Kef r100-r300/ bw 685s2/ MA silver1 and the ls50 sounds best for my liking. Very open and detailed with massive soundstage. The r300 are also very good and a bit warmer than the ls50 where Im about to go for them but they need more space and may overwhelm our bedroom with too much bass. The r100 lacks a bit of refinement and seems to struggle with complex music same as the MA silver1. The focal aria are also very good with unforced detailed and produce really a big sound but the bass is also my concern like the r300. The bw 685 s2 sounds good but nothing special, the bass is not as clean as the rest of the speakers I demo and a little boomy. The MA silver1 sounded very detailed but shrill at the top end when pushed harder

Your experience pretty much matches mine. There is also the fact that the LS50s just get better and better, when partnered with more competent amps / sources.

Once again, our tastes collide! :beer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
The only downside is they do'nt have front cover/grills where Im a bit worried and prone to my 3 y/o cheeky little gilr fingers:doh:

It nearly put me off, but they just sounded too good to ignore.......though my kids are well past the "pokey finger" stage.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
The only downside is they do'nt have front cover/grills where Im a bit worried and prone to my 3 y/o cheeky little gilr fingers:doh:

It nearly put me off, but they just sounded too good to ignore.......though my kids are well past the "pokey finger" stage.

Iceman, just wait until you get to the "oh, Dad, you're such a loser" stage.

:O

Matt

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Cno,

Speaker cables: Transparent MusicWave Ultra

http://www.transparentcable.com/products/show_product.php?recID=4&perfID=3&catID=1&modCAT=

Interconnect RCA: Chord Signature RCA

http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-signature-tuned-aray-stereo-rca-interconnect/

Power cord: Fisch Audiotechnik

http://www.fisch-audiotechnik.de/fisch-audiotechnik/english/power_cord_e.htm

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
Hi Cno,

Speaker cables: Transparent MusicWave Ultra

http://www.transparentcable.com/products/show_product.php?recID=4&perfID=3&catID=1&modCAT=

Interconnect RCA: Chord Signature RCA

http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-signature-tuned-aray-stereo-rca-interconnect/

Power cord: Fisch Audiotechnik

http://www.fisch-audiotechnik.de/fisch-audiotechnik/english/power_cord_e.htm

Thx for the info.

I'm glad you are finding a positive effect, which can be quite surprising when you first witness it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
The Electra speakers are also arriving tonight. :clap: I will let you know how it goes tomorrow! :grin:

:bounce:

Remember to let the amp warm up for about 45 minutes, and if the Speakers aren't ex-dem, give them a few days to sound their best.

I hope this gives you what you're looking for.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
aahonari said:
The Electra speakers are also arriving tonight. :clap: I will let you know how it goes tomorrow! :grin:

:bounce:

Remember to let the amp warm up for about 45 minutes, and if the Speakers aren't ex-dem, give them a few days to sound their best.

I hope this gives you what you're looking for.
And give plenty of space around them to hear their full potential :cheers:

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Not good! The airline refused to ship the speakers due to concerns pertaining the speakers' magnet field !!!!!!!! HUH?! Anyway, I had to make arrangements for ground shipping. I shall receive them tomorrow morning. Will let you know!

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
A MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE IN SOUND STAGE! I have been listening to these speakers for 2 days, and the difference is like day and night compared to the Chorus speakers. For instance, I listened to "It's probably me" by Sting -- a favorite song of mine --, and every nuance was so finely delivered that made my hair stood on end (OK, am ecstatic, thus my somewhat exaggeration).The amount of detail, the pace, the mass of the bass, the refined delivery of highs ... all impeccable! For my taste, I think I have found the perfect marriage of amp and speakers, and now an unspoiled bond between myself and my setup. Yet again, thank you for introducing me to this amp, and encouraging me to go after it.

BTW, ICEMAN is absolutely correct. These speakers need plenty of space. They are very sensative to their positioning, especially when situated next to walls ( and room corners are a big no!)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
A MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE IN SOUND STAGE! I have been listening to these speakers for 2 days, and the difference is like day and night compared to the Chorus speakers. For instance, I listened to "It's probably me" by Sting -- a favorite song of mine --, and every nuance was so finely delivered that made my hair stood on end (OK, am ecstatic, thus my somewhat exaggeration).The amount of detail, the pace, the mass of the bass, the refined delivery of highs ... all impeccable! For my taste, I think I have found the perfect marriage of amp and speakers, and now an unspoiled bond between myself and my setup. Yet again, thank you for introducing me to this amp, and encouraging me to go after it.

BTW, ICEMAN is absolutely correct. These speakers need plenty of space. They are very sensative to their positioning, especially when situated next to walls ( and room corners are a big no!)

I'm truly delighted that you are now happy.....though just wait until you hear what a really good source will bring to the party.*diablo*

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
aahonari said:

I'm truly delighted that you are now happy.....though just wait until you hear what a really good source will bring to the party.*diablo*

I thought we already discussed Linn Majik DS?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
I thought we already discussed Linn Majik DS?

We discussed a lot of possibilities, with the DS being my choice......as you now know, discussing and experiencing are two different things......It's very hard to get across just how good the 35i is, especially when driving decent speakers, as people get hung up on the 35W.

This amp is astounding at conveying dynamic swings....it goes from being as delicate as a butterfly landing with sore feet to a volcanic erruption, in the blink of an eye.

iceman16

Hi Cno,

Have you tried the LS50 with the AMS? I just plugged them in and will report back later
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts