The most beautiful piece of hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
c-280.JPG

Accuphase C-280L

For me, it was Accuphase at it's best. Highly adaptable (a nightmare to set up properly), but incredibly well made. Complex but efficient, beautiful but industrial. My other all time favourite is this one.

micro-seiki-bl-91_93360.jpg

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Describing hifi gear as beautiful is a category error - as far as most people are concerned discreet to the point of invisibilty is about the best you can hope for. Most stuff looks as if it was designed with an axe but Peachtree make an effort and old Quad stuff is ok.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
marou said:
Describing hifi gear as beautiful is a category error - as far as most people are concerned discreet to the point of invisibilty is about the best you can hope for. Most stuff looks as if it was designed with an axe but Peachtree make an effort and old Quad stuff is ok.

Can't say I agree with that. I like to see my gear even if its not pretty.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
wilro15 said:
marou said:

Can't say I agree with that. I like to see my gear even if its not pretty.

+1. Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I very much love the visual simplicity of turntables like the Ariston it was developed from, also my own TD160 which design-wise you could say is a chip off the same block. In terms of unconventional designs that the average man could actually afford, I was always a fan of the Jamo Art loudspeakers which were designed to be wall mounted, though having heard a pair years ago, it's unfortunate to say the sound (for their £300 list price) was IMO only ok not exceptional. On the amplification side I've always been a fan of the Quad 33. If Henry Azima (designer at Mission) didn't have the '33 in mind when he drew-up the asthetics for the Mission Cambridge 778 (which would become the Cyrus 1) then I'm an Irishman. And I'm not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts