The Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature - Upgrade, Add a DAC, or What?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, I think I may have learned a lesson: don't add a question to a forum thread that's not been active for a few days. So I will start one of my own and hope for some responses. :eek:)

I've had my KI signature approx 12 years and have always been pleased with it. However, the other day I suddenly realised just how long I've had it and thought to check on potential replacements. I came across this upgrade on eBay and wondered if anyone else has seen it, used the service, or has an informed opinion on the worth or otherwise of the service offered?

Even more interestingly, would I be better off adding a Cambridge Audio DACMagic to the Marantz instead? As well as? Unfortunately, my Audiolab 8000S amp only takes analogue inputs though...and I'll run out of power sockets!

I'm already investigating an upgrade to the interconnects and power cable, but is there anything else I could sensibly consider?

Advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Slight side track, but do you keep music on a PC/Mac?

matthewpiano

I think you're going to struggle to improve on the Marantz without spending a LOT of money. I have the same CD player as you and its better than any of the newer players I've owned. I find mine really likes the Chord Company Chameleon Silver Plus interconnect I use so thats probably worth a look if you are in the market for a cable upgrade.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Since you ask, yes, I do have some of my collection on laptop now. But I tend to listen to it at work when in need of some respite from the general hubbub in the office. Although storing music on the PC is an option for home use, it's not yet a path I have really ventured down.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks MP for the quick response. Interesting...it reminds me to check on just the set of cables I spotted on a certain well-known auction site! ;o)

So, you don't think I can improve on the KI without shelling out a loada dosh, eh? Listening to it at the moment I can easily agree, but there's always the nagging suspicion you can coax (argh, pun!) a little extra somehow. I am beginning to think that once I have tackled the various cables, I may have to do something about the speakers - they may not be the best for the room that is now their home. But more of that anon...

A

Anonymous

ESP2009: Although storing music on the PC is an option for home use, it's not yet a path I have really ventured down.

Then you may well be in for a surprise if you venture down that road. Lossless rips from CD onto hard drive -> DAC (via USB or digital connection) -> 8000S. New kit will be a DAC (like DACMagic/Beresford), cost would be the price of the Marantz upgrade you were considering on ebay, ie £184 give or take a couple of tenners
emotion-4.gif
. You may find it difficult to distinguish PC based tracks from the original CD tracks. Note I have no CD player with my Cyrus kit after comparing my DACmagic with a £900 CD player.

There are loads of threads on this forum about the PC based music option, check them out!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
AKL, that's interesting. Where is your computer in relation to the sound system? Mine is in excess of 10m cable run, not sure if this would be a problem. However, as you suggest, I will take time to check the relevant threads. Thanks for the heads-up. ;o)

A

Anonymous

I have a wireless N network at home and my laptop sends lossless data (via iTunes) wirelessly to an Apple Airport Express (£70)which is a wireless device plugged into the wall behind my hi fi rack, and it is then connected to the DACMagic (£200) via an optical cable, and from DAC to amplifier using normal phono leads. My laptop can be anywhere in the house even under a bed because I can control iTunes with my iPhone or iPod Touch. Do a search for Airport Express. There are of course other ways of streaming data to your amp, but other forum members will be more familiar with those.

You may find this link helpful http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Wireless-Music-Distribution-Part-One. There are three parts to this article.

I also have a second Airport Express feeding a second system in my house, and a third one at work in my office feeding my Audiolab system so I can play my music from the same music library at work too. Of course all data is backed up properly.

I discovered this streaming option a few months back and have not looked back, (or used a CD player!)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Verily, I am but a humble 20th Century Man!
emotion-10.gif
Perhaps I need a 2001 monolith moment...I have some reading to do methinks.

However, in the meantime, I still await further comments on the KI Signature. Come on, folks, don't let the 21st Century have it all its own way!
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

Just don't forget to add in the cost of running your laptop all day, if you run it all day. There's various sites (often on local council pages funnily) that detail the cost of running various electrical items and the associated cost per kilowatt hour. PC / laptops, plasma/LCD TVs tend to be on the pricier side of things. No issue if you're loaded obviously!

An alternative would be to get (if you don't already have one) an iPod classic, decent dock (Wadia have a high-end one that's apparently the dogs for £350) and link up that way. Lastly, you could probably do better with the speaker cable and maybe enven the speakers themselves - the RTL2s were rated in their day, but I think the source and amp could take better.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it would be silly to spend £184 on an upgrade for something that could go wrong and wouldn't have a massive sell-on fee. I would try to get a better CD player. It all depends on what sort of music you listen to.

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
I think it would be silly to spend £184 on an upgrade for something that could go wrong and wouldn't have a massive sell-on fee. I would try to get a better CD player. It all depends on what sort of music you listen to.

I agree and not trying to offend matthewpiano, 'much better' than anything else available new really is purely subjective and debatable. Leaving sound quality aside, reliability and servicability is always going to be an issue sooner or later with anything that relies on as many moving parts parts as a cdp.

On the other hand these players seem to attract a cult following so as long as it powers up it will probably make some decent money in the usual places. Whether I concur with it does'nt matter really.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:[.... not trying to offend matthewpiano, 'much better' than anything else available new really is purely subjective and debatable....

drummerman, sorry to poke my nose in but I don't think the above was what matthewpiano said, he was referring to newer players he has owned.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
AKL:
drummerman:[.... not trying to offend matthewpiano, 'much better' than anything else available new really is purely subjective and debatable....

drummerman, sorry to poke my nose in but I don't think the above was what matthewpiano said, he was referring to newer players he has owned.

You are of course correct and my reply was meant in that way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Apologies for the constant double postings. For the last couple of wk's I've had real problems posting here. Very slow, sometimes inpossible and bloody annoying. It's probably an issue at my end but it does'nt happen anywhere else ...

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Apologies for the constant double postings. For the last couple of wk's I've had real problems posting here. Very slow, sometimes inpossible and bloody annoying. It's probably an issue at my end but it does'nt happen anywhere else ...

You're not alone. Sometimes when I hit post, it comes back to the edit screen, so I hit post again - seems to be stuck in some kind of loop. Sometimes it posts twice, sometimes not at all.

matthewpiano

drummerman:AKL:

You are of course correct and my reply was meant in that way.

Yeah, thanks guys. I was only referring to the players I've had and their performance in the context of my system(s). I also didn't say it was MUCH better, just simply better and, yes, that is a very subjective statement (but lets not get back into that particular debate!).

To be fair, I would also advise against investing money in having upgrades done to the Marantz because, as Drummerman correctly points out, as good as it may be it is an old player now and these things have limited lifespans. Things like new interconnects or even an outboard DAC can be utitilised again and so make much more sense.

Furthermore, as fabulous as I think the Marantz is, I'm actually using my NAD C521BEE instead at present. DM has prompted some serious thinking that the Marantz will only have limited life left in it and I'm seriously considering moving it on while it is working perfectly and looking for a new player to take its place. I do believe its going to be hard to beat the Marantz for sensible money (and that was really my point earlier in this thread), but I think its perfectly possible to at least match its performance with careful selection.

A

Anonymous

I have a CD53, and I've just completed a simple modification. I think your CD player is a better model, but this easy should work for you too.There are two 8 pin DIP JRC op-amps used in the CD53. They are not bad, but they are fairly cheap devices. (There is a third JRC op-amp close to the front of the machine. I believe this is for driving the headphones, which I don't use so I left that one alone.) Anyway, I unsoldered the op amps, and replaced them with a high quality 8 pin DIP socket (machined gold pins). With the sockets in place, it's very easy to try different kinds of dual op amps. A device like Burr Brown's OPA2134 brings a considerable improvement to the sound.

I tried a few different types from Analog Devices, Burr Brown and National Semiconductor. These were all newer IC's, and every one of them was a considerable improvement to the cheap JRC.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the interesting post. I had forgotten all about that message posted way back!

Since then I have actually purchased a modded version at a very reasonable price and noticed distinct gains as a result. The DIY aspect, particularly with reference to soldering, is out of my claimed skill set - I will leave it to those with steadier hands, nerves and eyes than mine!
emotion-1.gif

As you will see from other posts, I have been exploring other tweaks since.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum - it's, er, interesting.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts