The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
So you are suggesting that movie soundtracks are not 'hifi'?
Not at all, just that they are EQ'd to have a different tonal balance sometimes in order for it to sound more impressive - the track then doesn't sound like it had originally been mixed to sound in the recording studio.

At any rate, none of your statements explain how an AVR that competently plays back movie soundtracks, cannot do the same with music recordings. An AVR is just an amplifier with extra features and functions over and above a stereo amplifier and provided it can properly control the speakers attached to it and not add any audible distortion, then it will be no better or worse than any other amplifer doing the same thing.
I've done many demos of AV receivers in our hi-fi demo room in two channel mode (away from all the extra speakers and subs), and there are a few that have impressed with music. It must be said that some of the more recent ones have been much better than earlier ones too.

I suppose it will also depend on the speaker that is being used to compare them too - with a more demanding speaker, the hi-fi amplifier will show how much better it is at controlling the speaker and allowing it to sound as it has been designed to. There's so many variables here, as always.

I think comparing these products on distortion figures alone is pretty pointless.

T

the record spot

GMK said:
Any updates on biamping the DC4's?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave about two nights ago! No rush, I'm going to get round to it in time, but too busy with other stuff on the go just now really. In a week or two perhaps. I'll maybe order this weekend.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Apologies, I got lost in scanning the numerous pages that appeared since I last visited. But you should. It won't take long. At all :twisted:

T

the record spot

Okay, get me some then and post it up. :cheer: :read: :poke:

T

the record spot

That just sounds like so creepy (as my American friend would say)!

T

the record spot

Yes, I bi-amped and I felt it was a good move. More body to music, so I think the extra amps worked in my favour. Still delighted with it. And there's a new addition to come tomorrow... not an amp though. :)

A

Anderson

I work with an austistic fellow, your posting style reminds me of him, he can get quite worked up over the simplest things too. It was an open question, I didn't mean to exclude you from feeling like you could answer sorry for upsetting you.

Can we start again? Are you autistic? :)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
I work with an austistic fellow, your posting style reminds me of him, he can get quite worked up over the simplest things too. It was an open question, I didn't mean to exclude you from feeling like you could answer sorry for upsetting you. Can we start again? Are you autistic? :)

Your original post was deleted by mods and I hope that this one will be too.

A

Anderson

You're coming across quite defensive, fwiw I think mental health issues arent something to joke about, I think it's a shame you would lower yourself as you have above particularly considering your predicament. If someone reaches out to you, let them in. Doesn't have to be me, could be anyone you trust. You can message me in private of you like, I can point you towards a few resources. Peace :)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
You're coming across quite defensive, fwiw I think mental health issues arent something to joke about, I think it's a shame you would lower yourself as you have above particularly considering your predicament. If someone reaches out to you, let them in. Doesn't have to be me, could be anyone you trust. You can message me in private of you like, I can point you towards a few resources. Peace :)

The only one here with mental health issues is yourself. By the way, the lowest you can get in this forums is when your posts get deleted.

A

Anderson

Like I say, I still extend my hand to you, I understand it can be embaressing to address issues like this in public.

http://www.autism.org.uk/

The whole 'lowest you can go' is that how you feel, would you say that it would be fair of me if I said that implied that you believed a post on a message boards holds weight with say a real life interaction, would you see it as a great insult if one of your posts were to be deleted? I wouldn't wish that on you, but you might want to edit your more abrasive posts above, I don't want you to get upset friend. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts