The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

So there I am, quite happy with my setup but notice the new line of Onkyo AV amps are coming out. The NR616 is on a good discount but there's not enough in it to make me want to give up the 8050.

Then Richer Sounds slap a 40% discount on the TX-NR818 and it gets my attention. Everything the 8050 has it's got and more. Terrific reviews as well, plus it gives me the means to bi-amp the DC4s and take this chance to get rid of my other stuff too. This'll hopefully pay off the cost of most of the 818 and probably signs off on my amp purchases for the foreseeable too. If this is as good as the reviews say it is, this is one special amp.

It arrives on Saturday morning and it's a fine looking beast! I'll post up my thoughts later.

onkyo-tx-nr818-av-surround-sound-receiver-review-2.jpg

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AV amp? Blasphemer. Wrong section of the forum ;)

But seriously, I look forward to your impressions, particularly on how the performance compares to the TX-8050 and other stereo amps you've owned. Hard to tell the size from the picture, but the sheer bul of most AV amps is always a little off putting for me.

the record spot said:
So there I am, quite happy with my setup but notice the new line of Onkyo AV amps are coming out. The NR616 is on a good discount but there's not enough in it to make me want to give up the 8050.

Then Richer Sounds slap a 40% discount on the TX-NR818 and it gets my attention. Everything the 8050 has it's got and more. Terrific reviews as well, plus it gives me the means to bi-amp the DC4s and take this chance to get rid of my other stuff too. This'll hopefully pay off the cost of most of the 818 and probably signs off on my amp purchases for the foreseeable too. If this is as good as the reviews say it is, this is one special amp.

It arrives on Saturday morning and it's a fine looking beast! I'll post up my thoughts later.

onkyo-tx-nr818-av-surround-sound-receiver-review-2.jpg

Hope your foundations strong enough? ;)

Must say still like the look of receivers... coming over all nostalgic.

T

the record spot

Ha, yes at 19 kgs nearly, it's hefty. The buttons in the lower half can be hidden by a flap that gives a sleeker finish. 24/192 DACs as well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It seems to offer a lot for the money compared to the 'average' hair shirt purist stereo amplifiers out there.

I enjoy my Sony a lot, especially the more useful features such as decent headphone out, phono stage, on-board DAC's, power etc.

regards

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
You and your amplifiers RS!

Looks like it has a lot of functionality to offer - even more than the 8050!

Hi Matthew, yes, always liked a good amp. The others are hobbyists stuff, not serious money. This is a £1k amp though and reviews are good. I've a lot of time for Onkyo's products since they did the A-933 amp.

I really wanted something like this that would offer me the means to hook my Blu-ray player up directly and maybe try out the hi-res Dolby and Blu-ray options too. The 24/192 DACs won't go amiss and the means to bring everything together. I like the sound Onkyo makes with my Tannoys and expect this to continue with the 818. Currently listening to the Mark Knopfler - Chet Atkins album and that's a nice recording. Lovely detail but very easy to listen to on the 8050.

i think this pretty much calls time on the "trying out older amps" even for fun. This lets me get the best of everything in one (albeit big) and I can lose five other bits of hardware and biamp using the internal power amps. Network connectivity gives me a continuation of what the 8050 offered.

Top deal from Richer Sounds though, although Frank Harvey Hifi are also offering the 818 for the same £599 price.

T

the record spot

Hi Ben, a DAC, the 8050, a Sony ES amp, one of the higher end HK amps and one of the original Denon universal players (the DVD3930). Maybe a turntable as well.

T

the record spot

BenLaw said:
Ah right, it includes 3 amps! What will your source be if you get rid of the denon? And does the onkyo have AirPlay to allow you to get rid of the ATV?

The ATV's a keeper, and is so small as to be unobtrusive, plus I like the simplicity and integration with the rest of the Apple stuff I use. Onkyo doesn't provide Airplay support, but that's not a biggie for me; their network connectivity offering is excellent, they offer vTuner and Aupeo as standard, Spotify onboard, and various other bits and pieces. It has an Apple app, so I can play from my Touch as a remote, or I can hook it up to the USB fascia and run it off via the Onkyo's handset.

My source for CDs will be the Marantz SA7001-KI I've had for about five years now and which is as good as anything out there. The rest will be via the TV for movies/other streaming, or the Panasonic Blu-Ray player or my PS3. However, with the additional HDMI inputs, the last two will go direct into the Onkyo and bypass the TV.

T

the record spot

matt49 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the back of the 818 once you've wired it up. :eek:

Matt

Not too bad really; four lots of speaker cable to bi-amp the Tannoys, one set of Atlas Navigators for the Marantz, one HDMI each for the TV, Panasonic Blue Ray player and PS3. Which is as it is now, except they all go into the TV. Oh, and an optical each for the ATV to the amp and the PS3 to the amp, which is also as it is just now into the 8050.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes functionality has to win out, although I'm sure purists will disagree.

But with that AVR you've probably got the best of both worlds.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Not too bad really; four lots of speaker cable to bi-amp the Tannoys, one set of Atlas Navigators for the Marantz, one HDMI each for the TV, Panasonic Blue Ray player and PS3. Which is as it is now, except they all go into the TV. Oh, and an optical each for the ATV to the amp and the PS3 to the amp, which is also as it is just now into the 8050.

Excellent: sounds like you're making the most of the functionality. :grin:

T

the record spot

Actually, the sound quality's excellent - the 8050's as good as any amp I've owned, is probably the most powerful and the same will likely apply to the 818. Form and functionality in one. I don't see the losing out argument compared to a bog standard integrated that's underpowered and doesn't have the means to cope with how entertainment is delivered in the home these days.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Actually, the sound quality's excellent - the 8050's as good as any amp I've owned, is probably the most powerful and the same will likely apply to the 818. Form and functionality in one. I don't see the losing out argument compared to a bog standard integrated that's underpowered and doesn't have the means to cope with how entertainment is delivered in the home these days.

I agree entirely. One powerful and fine-sounding box that does so many things is the way to go. Hence my post about the back of the box: the more sources you can pull together, the better.

T

the record spot

They'll be fine - can take 120w, so the 135w of the Onkyo won't be an issue! They're never driven hard anyway as I have neighbours to consider.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
BenLaw said:
Ah right, it includes 3 amps! What will your source be if you get rid of the denon? And does the onkyo have AirPlay to allow you to get rid of the ATV?

The ATV's a keeper, and is so small as to be unobtrusive, plus I like the simplicity and integration with the rest of the Apple stuff I use. Onkyo doesn't provide Airplay support, but that's not a biggie for me; their network connectivity offering is excellent, they offer vTuner and Aupeo as standard, Spotify onboard, and various other bits and pieces. It has an Apple app, so I can play from my Touch as a remote, or I can hook it up to the USB fascia and run it off via the Onkyo's handset.

My source for CDs will be the Marantz SA7001-KI I've had for about five years now and which is as good as anything out there. The rest will be via the TV for movies/other streaming, or the Panasonic Blu-Ray player or my PS3. However, with the additional HDMI inputs, the last two will go direct into the Onkyo and bypass the TV.

I think Chebby would still see some room for component trimming there, given that you contemplate still having three disc spinners :grin:

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
How long before the center speaker makes an apperance?

Well it doesn't take up that much space sat under the TV.

then a pair of surrounds.....a sub.....rear channels......

:dance:

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've got the 616, really wish I'd held out a couple months for the 818 discount. You live, you learn.

Hi-res audio through the amps Pure Audio setting is just sublime. I imagine it'll be even better through your setup, I'm tempted trade mine in now!

T

the record spot

cheyworth said:
How long before the center speaker makes an apperance?

Well it doesn't take up that much space sat under the TV.

then a pair of surrounds.....a sub.....rear channels......

:dance:

Ah, not going to be going down the centre or satellite speaker route. Never been interested in all that, and well placed stereo speakers will give you as good a centre image anyway really. So, pretty happy to stick with what I have just now. A sub's not needed in my living space, ample bass from the DC4 in my room.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
When I briefly had a TX-8050, one thing that really irked me was when listening to internet radio (eg. Radio Paradise) was that it did not give out track information (artist, title etc.) unlike the Marantz MCR603 for example. I wonder whether the TX-NR818 will?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts