The film thread.

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Dune Part One has been available for some time, Part Two disc release date due December this year. It's on my list :)
Dune Part 2 released on disc and have watched it twice, much better than Part 1. I'll give Villeneuve his due these films are wonderfully cinematic. Part 3 has already been announced, "Dune - The Messiah", hopefully they'll continue with a Part 4, "Children of Dune".

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Dune Part 2 released on disc and have watched it twice, much better than Part 1. I'll give Villeneuve his due these films are wonderfully cinematic. Part 3 has already been announced, "Dune - The Messiah", hopefully they'll continue with a Part 4, "Children of Dune".
I'm saving my second viewing of both for a neighbour-free day, or when I get the new AV room sorted out (completely detached!) :)

Reactions: DougK1

DCarmi

The Edge of Tomorrow. Not a really a Tom Cruise fan so I had avoided it. Since it is about to come off Netflix, I gave it a go and enjoyed it. The basic premise has been done before but this is one of the better ones, especially with Cruise playing a different sort of character to the ones he normally does.

I wish I had a fraction the energy Tom Cruise has.

The Edge of Tomorrow. Not a really a Tom Cruise fan so I had avoided it. Since it is about to come off Netflix, I gave it a go and enjoyed it. The basic premise has been done before but this is one of the better ones, especially with Cruise playing a different sort of character to the ones he normally does.

I wish I had a fraction the energy Tom Cruise has.
Got to give him credit for that.

Yes, enjoyable film, action and humour working well.

Reactions: DCarmi
Carrying on with the zombie theme - Shaun of the Dead no 4k. Love it and Hot Fuzz, but cannot warm to The World's End.
I didn't think it was as good as the other initially, but after a few viewings, it really grew on me. The first few viewings I didn't realise, but when they end up calling them "blanks", it's referring to the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, when they called the guy on the table a "blank". I love the ongoing references throughout the trilogy, and how the intro to The World's End basically maps out what is going to happen throughout the rest of the movie. Almost everything that is said comes back round again one way or an another, and I love that. Oh, and how the pub names play a part...

I didn't think it was as good as the other initially, but after a few viewings, it really grew on me. The first few viewings I didn't realise, but when they end up calling them "blanks", it's referring to the original Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, when they called the guy on the table a "blank". I love the ongoing references throughout the trilogy, and how the intro to The World's End basically maps out what is going to happen throughout the rest of the movie. Almost everything that is said comes back round again one way or an another, and I love that. Oh, and how the pub names play a part...
The wiki page says that only New Order and Sade gave permission for sleeve artwork to be shown - and that the latter in particular was utterly cool about her album being destroyed.

The Green Mile on 4k - good transfer, and a curious mix of the slightly twee and the deeply unpleasant. Works better overall having seen it two or three times now.
Followed by The Shawshank Redemption on 4k, same director and a couple of cast members in common. Unimprovable as a film, I think.

I wonder what @davidf makes of the transfer - I think it's the most natural-looking 4k film I own.

Followed by The Shawshank Redemption on 4k, same director and a couple of cast members in common. Unimprovable as a film, I think.

I wonder what @davidf makes of the transfer - I think it's the most natural-looking 4k film I own.
Watched both on 4K last year, but can't specifically recall the transfers. The Green Mile I think is one of those films you just get drawn into too much to notice the quality, unless you specifically look for it. I don't remember any issues, and if it hadn't been a good improvement on the Blurays, I think I'd have remembered. As much as I like some digitally shot films, a really good transfer originally captured well on film can look glorious.

podknocker

Monty Python's Life of Brian on blu ray - this could look great when there's a 4k release. Still the most clever comedy of all time for me.
My favourite film, but doesn't necessarily need to be in blu ray, never mind 4k. The film is very grainy and not a good example of the best that film had to offer back then. Unless it can be 'enhanced' or touched up digitally, then a hi res release is pointless. Some films require hi res, especially Sci-FI stuff and films with lot of special effects and CGI, but some filme were not made with visual quality in mind. It's the content and direction which carries the film. If you don't look for hi res in a film and just become absorbed by the story, then the film stands up on its own.

Reactions: Friesiansam
It's the content and direction which carries the film. If you don't look for hi res in a film and just become absorbed by the story, then the film stands up on its own.
Whilst I agree with that entirely, the difference in the wall that has been graffiti-ised is so marked that I have to stand by my view that blu ray is a big step up (as is the three wise men scene at the start), and I have high hopes for the eventual 4k. I try not to be too much of a fetishist in terms of quality of image over quality of film, but why not allow the former to enhance the latter? Does for me.

Reactions: podknocker

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts