The film thread.

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Read a review of Undergods* in RT so recorded it. Tried to watch last night, but could find nothing of interest therein - abandoned half way through. Also proves that Film4 doesn't try too hard when it comes to black depth...

*A film I now see doesn't even have its own Wikipedia page...

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Fell asleep watching Dune 2. but I was suitably entertained by Netflix Jack Snyder's Rebel Moon – Part two. I know it was mauled on Rotten Tomatoes. I do think though the title should be renamed Revenge of the Amish's.

Last night was Aliens on 4k. Not as good as the original, but a very good film in its own right. The transfer is stellar - the odd dodgy special effect still look dodgy, but in comparison with the blu ray it shows the gains in clarity and detail that the higher resolution offers as well as the massive gains available from HDR - and combines the two in a way that beats any other older film I've seen make the move from blu ray to 4k.

Last night was Aliens on 4k. Not as good as the original, but a very good film in its own right. The transfer is stellar - the odd dodgy special effect still look dodgy, but in comparison with the blu ray it shows the gains in clarity and detail that the higher resolution offers as well as the massive gains available from HDR - and combines the two in a way that beats any other older film I've seen make the move from blu ray to 4k.
I'm watching it tonight with the original and part three. I've read mixed things about the 4K release. Would have watched them yesterday but decided to watch the prequels first. Not worthy of being part of the franchise, but fairly enjoyable, and picked up a few things I hadn't before.

I'm watching it tonight with the original and part three. I've read mixed things about the 4K release. Would have watched them yesterday but decided to watch the prequels first. Not worthy of being part of the franchise, but fairly enjoyable, and picked up a few things I hadn't before.
Be interesting to see what you make of it - I was pretty much continually seeing details I hadn't, and the contrast between light and dark was really marked.

We always go with the director's cut - the robot sentry bits are good and the part where you find out what happened to Ripley's daughter explains why she won't/can't abandon Newt. That said, the couple of early chapters that show what's happened on LV426 always get skipped - it's better not knowing what's coming - even though obviously we know full well.

Be interesting to see what you make of it - I was pretty much continually seeing details I hadn't, and the contrast between light and dark was really marked.

We always go with the director's cut - the robot sentry bits are good and the part where you find out what happened to Ripley's daughter explains why she won't/can't abandon Newt. That said, the couple of early chapters that show what's happened on LV426 always get skipped - it's better not knowing what's coming - even though obviously we know full well.
It looks to me like they've brightened the scenes inside the base. When Newt/Ripley/Gorman are on the ship talking to them via radio, their room is dark, with nice black levels, but cut to the base and it's like the contrast has been dramatically upped. I almost felt like using a darker setting on the TV while they were in the base. This might make you see a lot more if the room itself when they're inside the base.

Close ups on faces were the worst. Any wrinkles in focus in the light looked over-sharpened, and the darker, out of focus parts of the face smoothed. A few scenes had that over-sharpened look, like Newt's tangled hair.

Presumably a result of the over-sharpening, stubble in medium shots sometimes looked odd.

When Newt's family are approaching the ship they found, there's a shot from in front of them, and there was some weird movement going on with the mist - not compression which you would normally see (which makes it look a bit patchy), must just be the way the AI automatically dealt with the movement of the mist, making it look, well, I can't explain like what.

So over-sharpening and faces aside, it did look fantastic. So much detail and texture. But I'm going to watch a few scenes of my Aliens Bluray today to remind me of how that looks while the 4K is fresh in my memory. Might do some quick comparisons.

I hear that The Abyss was the best of the bunch, but True Lies suffered more than Aliens. Unforgivable really, as two of those have never had an official HD release. It's not like they're some lowly film no one would give a monkey's about.

I hear the AI remastering Cameron used was also being used on David Fincher's Se7en. After seeing Aliens, I'm sticking with my guess that Fincher saw the results of this AI remastering and told the studio a big no - hence the huge delay we're getting for Se7en shortly after its announcement.

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I've been reading that Dune 2 in IMAX is epic, so I've decided I need to run through the Dune films - I haven't seen any of them! Watching the original tonight which I have on 4K disc, the first part of the remake on 4K disc (I missed it at the cinema), and I'm booked in tomorrow to see it in IMAX at my local Cineworld. First cinema visit this year...
Did you ever get to watch them?

Did you ever get to watch them?
I did.

Maybe late to the party with the original (never read the book), but was expecting a little more. Some impressive size sets for its time but dated a bit now - not sure I'll be rushing back to view it again any time soon.

The remake I need to watch again to form an opinion. I struggle nowadays watching films for the first time that use silly names for people and planets, you never know who's who or what's what. If they were all just called Kevin and Phil from planets we've heard of it's much easier to follow... :)

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts