The film thread.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse. We have a prop from that in the kitchen. One of those films that I wish would get a release in a higher res format than DVD.
Recently picked up the full series box set on DVD as I’m sick of waiting for Bluray. Available on iTunes in HD, but I’m not paying their prices just to allow me access to streaming - I got the whole lot on DVD for one itunes series.

I never got on with the film, although I’ve only seen it once. Maybe I’ll revisit it after watching the series all the way through at some point.

Watched The Banshees Of Inisherin last night, the latest film from Martin McDonagh, who has previously written and directed In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths, and the brilliant Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. His brother, John Michael McDonagh wrote and directed The Guard and Calvary. Love the films from these two brothers.

Banshees looked gorgeous. The Irish country landscape is stunning anyway, but it’s beautifully captured in the film, so I can’t wait to see a 4K copy of it. Quite an odd film, but interesting. Those who can’t sit through two hours without an explosion or a car chase are better looking elsewhere. Mostly dialogue, and the odd heavy Irish accent, so your ears need to be 100% to keep up with some of the dialogue.

8/10 from me.

Gladiator on 4k - Ridley Scott has the odd bum note in his back catalogue - Prometheus and Black Rain don't do it for me - but Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator and Thelma & Louise is a hell of a varied and top-notch list.
Prometheus was such a let down, an extremely average film - but it looks beautiful in 4K on a really good TV. Scenery is breathtaking.

Vivarium - a low budget film (not quite sure how to clasify it) about a couple who are lured into this community of unoccupied identikit houses - there's no escape, and provisions are dropped off regulalry, but always unseen. Then a baby is dropped off, with the instruction that if they raise it they will be released...

Better in idea than execution, but the two leads (Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg acquit themselves very well.

Byzantium - a twist on the vampire myth and well-done. Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton fit the parts very well.

Ghost Stories - a modern tryptic horror, co-written by The League of Gentlemen's Jeremy Dyson (which shows) - genuinely scary and darkly amusing in places.

Byzantium - a twist on the vampire myth and well-done. Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton fit the parts very well.

Ghost Stories - a modern tryptic horror, co-written by The League of Gentlemen's Jeremy Dyson (which shows) - genuinely scary and darkly amusing in places.
Only watched Ghost Stories the other day (as I’m trying to watch more British films). Didn’t know what to expect, but was pretty decent.

War Horse no blu ray- a slightly odd-feeling split between the sentimental and the brutal. I think it works, though the English countryside feels rather artificially-lit.

Bram Stoker's Dracula on 4k - too grainy for my liking, and a mix between some sublime moments and some ridiculous accents.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts