The film thread.

We have ones for what we're listening to, so let's see if one about what films we've watched gets any traction.

Watched 1917 this week, really enjoyed it, stunning cinematography and unlike some I didn't find the way it's shot distracting. I think I preferred it to Dunkirk - partly because the music in the latter grates just a little after first viewing, and secondly because whilst I admire Christopher Nolan he reminds me of what was once said of Kubrick - namely that he is a director who thinks too much and feels too little. I think that's probably harsh in both cases, but there's a modicum of truth to it from where I sit.

Reactions: Tinman1952
Alien vs Predator - definitely one to file under guilty pleasure - badly scripted, acted and mercenary in intent, it really only has the visuals to commend it to any degree. But I've been a sucker for the franchise since mum came back from seeing Alien at the cinema, having duped a friend into going along by saying it was some sort of rom-com type of thing...

Alien is definitely in my top ten, Aliens is good, brainless fun, and I really like the largely unloved Alien3. Have seen AVP2 and it is execrable, and I enjoyed Prometheus and Covenant rather less than I might have hoped.

Seems to reinforce the notion that sequels are usually a train of diminishing returns.

doifeellucky

I saw Star Wars with my Mum, was 5. Remember Empire very well, particularly Hoth, as it lit up the whole cinema so much. Top Gun was my first under age visit to the cinema. Sadly missed out on seeing Aliens at 13 on a French exchange. My Uncle let me watch For A Few Dollars More while babysitting once, must have been about 7.

Clint is definitely my guilty pleasure, particularly Leone and Dirty Harry.

Recently I really enjoyed Promising Young Woman.

Reactions: 12th Monkey
The Great Escape yesterday - not seen for a few years. I've read Paul Brickhill's book on which it's based since I last saw it, and for a film of its age it sticks as close as could be reasonably expected to the truth. The book has a few line drawings in, and the one of the stove which conceals a tunnel entrance is so close to what is shown in the film that it's quite spooky.

Reactions: doifeellucky
D

Deleted member 197450

Watched Clueless for the first time in about 20 years and that’s a great movie! Really enjoyed it. Keep meaning to find a copy of The Beach too, haven’t seen that in years. Like Johan Hill movies too.

D

Deleted member 197450

Strangely enough I was really glad to see Robin Hood Prince of Thieves again lately.
Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman etc but it's that great thespian Alan Rickman that makes the movie. Just wind him up, give him free rein and you're into a winner.
Brilliant performance that had me in fits once again.
I watched that too, great movie.

Oddly enough, he isn't. Admittedly his character (IIRC) has done time, but he plays a man befriended by a young woman who subsequently dies in a car crash whilst he's driving. It's about the relationship he forms with the girl's autistic mother (Sigourney Weaver) and her neighbour (Carrie Anne Moss). Sounds dour, but it's multi-faceted and undeservedly obscure.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 197450

Mrs 12th and I usually end up fighting the tears for the second half of that film - it's great but reliably causes a headache!
I know mate, I have seen it before but I was like gutted for a week after watching it again.

Reactions: doifeellucky
I remember listening to Dave Lee Travis on Radio One in 1979 when he had been to see 'Alien' the night before at the cinema. He said he had never experienced such heightened tension and terror in the cinema. We tend to forget what an impact the film had at the time!
I will never forget the first time I saw Ian Holm 'erupting'......😁
I have a modest collection of film and music memorabilia, and these two are things I love:

Optimized-alien.jpg

Optimized-2.jpg

Attachments

• Optimized-alien.jpg
    Optimized-alien.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Optimized-2.jpg
    Optimized-2.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 2
D

Deleted member 197450

Watched Showgirls last night, that was a blast from the past.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts